SVC - When It's So Bad It's Good

Guard Cancel dash is a problem, but at the same time a lot of people overemphasize it. For example a lot of people say it can punish everything and this just isn’t true. Like people’s LP and LKs, its very difficult (almost impossible) to GC those. Also realize that it takes meter (more or less depending on using 6,6 or the command version) and you can bait them as well. In a new version of SvC, I would make them cost 2 bars; be a non-issue then. Also stuff like the throw range and whiffing throws costing meter is supposed to keep that in check to a degree (doesn’t always work).

Yeah, a lot of characters have good shit.

What? I didn’t ask for your piss-poor explanation. If you have vids, link them. If you posses credible sources, link them.

But you don’t.

I’ve been a member at neo-geo.com for a while now and remember the massive hype this game got before it was released and then the massive disappointment after its release, haha.

That said, this game is still kind of fun. I haven’t played anything but the Xbox version though, are there any significant changes between it and the arcade release?

Its been a while since I played so correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there an issue with Guile where he couldn’t charge down-back? Like if you wanted to throw a Sonic Boom you had to hold back? And the same thing with a Flash Kick?

Other than the fucked up command input (It refused to let me pull of stuff like rekkas and similarly command supers off, as well as GC) its about the same; but I think they changed a few minor properties like some stuff on Earthquake (his fart projectile I think it was). Other than that, not really.

I use the PS2 import version now and that is arcade perfect.

Umm, you can infinite someone just by blocking one of their pokes. I’m not the greatest SFIV player in the world, but I don’t think there are thing like that in the game. Attempting to attack ANYONE with meter means losing 50% life or sometimes death in SVC. I wish there were high level vds of Chaos. I still have yet toi see any that even remotely displays the level of retardation that can happen in SVC

I always thought geese and zero seemed like the best characters. Zero’s j. sword attack had some nasty crossup potential and his fireball was almost a command boom. It was fun as long as you didn’t take it to seriously as than shit like Zero’s bomb and retardedly high damage maximum combo’s might get to you. Honestly I played violent ken and zero most of the time and had a blast but zero could be really stupid largely because of that fireball imo but he had other stuff also.

Ya know what…I’d like to see some Dan matches; are there any online by any chance?

Even though most didn’t enjoy this game much I actually enjoyed it and had comp for this game around it’s release. I was in Hong Kong around the time it hit and everyone was playing it there. Good times. My main was Chun then I would switch Hugo if I got bored of using her. I would use most of the cast from time to time. I never really enjoyed using the hidden characters much maybe besides Mars People. Geese is pretty is pretty simple to use and his combos do crazy damage. So even without his infinite he is still pretty darn good. I actually have some xbox live replays of good people I played online. I’ll have to take a look at those again and see if I can record them. Even though this game could use some tweaks here and there it’s still fun to play every once in a while. I would have to agree though having soft ban the hidden characters the game becomes playable.

yeah but i gave it and that’s what your going to have to work with, i don’t have the time right now as i implied. I’ ll get to it sooner or later.
Anyway the guard cancel is what’s breaks the game IMO,and i guess it doesn’t help that the game is based off kof 96 either. The GC was an interesting edition to the game and is what made it fun for me. Maybe the next time snk has there chance at the vs series they can use the kof XI format.
^i would love to see some high level dan vids also i always thought this was the best dan even if he is bottom of the barrel.

You didn’t give me anything to work with; and I’m going to just proceed to dismiss your opinion like I should have from the beginning.

Fiol and I already linked high level match vids; I guess you guys just posted instead of reading the the thread.

Any vid where people do not abuse GCFS is not a high level vid. Seriously, that is so abusable, it makes any level of offense totally pointless. You basically have to stick to moves like jabs to properly bait them out. And it’s even worse when you get ROB Iori who has a fast dash a really really good jump. I think Goentiz can bait them out, but I’ve never seen a Goenitz player who plays him lame enough.

First off there is plenty of GFCS use in those matches which tells me and everyone you didn’t watch them or you choose to ignore it. Also, yeah GCFS is totally free and you can use it non-stop. Also its available at any point during blockstun. [/sarcasm]

Stop the theory fighter and enjoy the matches. Its very easy to sit on the sidelines and say “oh well, he should have done that”. As far I as I know, you nor many people play the game. And now you call yourself criticizing high level matches? You realize how silly that is, right?

Surely you can do better, right? No of course not. Now as far as know the problems of the game are easy to point out. This thread is mainly for those that want to learn, already play the game and have a positive interest. I know for a fact you hate the game and don’t play it. So…why you here? The thread wasn’t made to hear your disgust over it.

I played this game “opening weekend” and was horrified at the messed up command input and the drunken hitboxes.

That being said, I still love this game with all my black little heart. I’m as proud of my top ten finish in the only WC SvC tournament I know of (NCR3) as I am anything I’ve done in gaming. :love:

I use to play the game a lot. I’m pretty familiar with high level SVC. And yeah I played it on arcade cabinent, not on emulator or XBL. Once you run up against someone who knows what they are doing, you’ll quickly find this game really annoying to play. You were clearly at Final Round. There is this guy who was at Final Round this weekend named Antonio. Wish you could have met him. He has one of the most retarded Geese, Zero, Demtri’s that I’ve ever seen. I wish he could have sat down and played you guys (didn’t know you were at Final Round until I saw your vids). Trust me, this guy would piss you off in that game.

You are a fucking clown, did you know that? I’ve been here a long time and that was the single most bullshit elitist response I’ve encountered to date. I said that one character had a redonk infinite, which is true, shit is brain dead, but so is stuff in lots of games so I don’t see how that takes away from the game anyways. I didn’t start trying to talk shit about the game or even speak my own opinion. I stated that I recalled some shit when this game was still newish. Maybe if you weren’t a colossal faggorth people there’d be an actual community for this game since your a fucking “knowledgeable player” you should be trying to get people into the game instead of shitting the bed over a non-biased comment. In conclusion you just lost the game.

That’s for A LOT of broken games; SvC is no exception. Chun in A2, Good top tier in Marvel, the list goes on in.

No-one is looking through the game with rose-tinted glasses; anyone can see it has problems; what’s your point? Don’t play and don’t take the thread off track. If you don’t want to contribute to helping others that are interested in learning; don’t bother. That’s like me going up in SFIV subforum, complaining about the game in a thread someone made for those that enjoy it.

What a waste of time.

No the game has a ton of problems, it runs on dated hardware and looks bad compared to what came out around the same time. Really, there’s a lot of reasons it failed. No-one is trying to start a community and I’m no elitist. I just want people to come in and talk about the game constructively…we know the game’s problems, we know how retarded the characters are.

BTW the Zero infinite starts by setting up a metool cyber elf; its not “braindead”. Also Zero has a few weaknesses and his infinite is nowhere near as good as Geese’s, which if I remember requires MAX mode (Although its not hard for him to get to lvl. 3, mind you).

Mid level chaos is semi-enjoyable. So I’ll give people that. As long as you don’t abuse CCFS, I think the game is okay. There are some hit box issues to be noted, and some stupid colission detection for sure. Even withou GCFS, there are still some crazy retardation. For example, the easy mode Chun-Li stuff. How she get an untechable command grab mixup, which could lead into max mode, and lead into exceed. Almost a touch of death. The only thig that saves her is the stupid grab range in this game.

There is also Guile who probably has the dumbest stuff as well. He can rapid fire sonic booms. I kind of like it, but it’s pretty boring.

Terry has free jump-ins. His j.D does way more damage that it should. And his supers have no recovery.

Overall, Chaos is a mixed bag.  If you're willing to ignore all of it's flaws I guess it's okay.   I personally don't like the pacing and feel of the game.  But I guess I can see where some would enjoy it.

Yeah its not perfect or anywhere close to it; but I like the system a lot.

I’m pretty sure the thing about GCFS was that they wanted to keep the game moving at a fast pace and stop things like corner traps and pressure coming up since they gave the characters all these command normals and attacks…basically the opposite of CvS2 in that’s less defensive.

I hate a lot of things about the game but its fun and I don’t take it too seriously; that’s all that matters.

Comparing A2 Chun or God tier in Marvel is not a fair comparison. A2 Chun can be bad, but generally speaking she’s more than beatable. There is no one way to beat her, but she can definitely be outplayed. God tier in Marvel changes the game, and make more tactics valid. For example, run away, battery, team chemistry, non-linear rushdown happen when god tier is in the game. There is more strategic depth and far more tactics in high level Marvel due to top tier and their tools.

SVC “god tier” does not make the game any more playable or create anymore strategy. As for some games where sometime the God tier makes the game more interesting, in Chaos, God tier dulls the game. Basically you can’t do anything about God tier in SVC Chaos. They can build meter for free, GGCFS for free, infinite for free. Basically they shut down any real options.

I mean high tier marvel, you get tri jumps, infinites, guard breaks. All take really good execution, and the broken run away balances the broken rushdown. There is nothing that puts checks and balances on SVCs brokeness.

SVC is a bad broken. Marvel or A2 is good broken. Even A3 is a good broken, because it makes the game really interesting. SVC broken does not do anything for the game. Which is why many stopped playing it as soon as it came out.

There is no “good” or “Bad” broken in my book. Its bad all around for me.

What defines it as playable is if the system is engaging or not. You can’t simply make a blanket statement which kind of broken is better as that simply comes off as a personal opinion and holds no water. That’s fine but you can’t say that many people that like the game think Marvel or A2’s brokeness and God Tier are preferable.

Of course there is. Think about how you beat a team like MSP in Marvel with low tier. You can abuse all of the broken stuff and glitches and use it AGAINST God tier. For example, God tier could abuse a tron assist like anyone else. But you can beat MSP with trone. You can also eat up command assist with trone as well. Sometimes infinte balance things out. If you play low tier, and you can setup a nice combo, you can damage an incoming character for free. God tier can do this, but you can have your low tier teams abuse it as well.

There are a lot of things that low tiers can abuse really well in Marvel, creating count strategies for high tier teams. In A2, all isn’t lost when Chun-Li is stocked. you can very well counter blowback CC her if she tries to activate, eliminating her most “broken” option. for an option that can be beat with that easily, it doesn’t seem as broken. Sure she takes advantage of blowout CCs, but so does anyone who isn’t top tier. Plus there are other things like spacing and footsies, which could help you bait CC activations. Chun-Li takes good fundamentals to use properly, not just anyone can play her.

The problem with Chaos is that no one abuse GCFS quite like Geese, Iori, Zero or a lot of the hidden charaters do.   There is no way to use the system against them.  I mean we all know Marvel is broken, but the system could be used against the most broken charactes.  This create depth.   CC is broken, and no CC is quite as crazy as Chun sweep xx CC Xx lighting legs.  But CCs can be used against her.   In Choas, you can't use CCFS against Geeese.   You can't even control the match enough to even get enough meter to make it matter.  He has everything.  Battery, rushdown, and good use of GGFS.   So you have a character with good pressure, good keep away, good battery.  He shuts down anything you can do.  Zero does to, but I GUESS he's more technical doing it.  But it doesn't matter because the fact he can do it is bad enough.

The brokeness in chaos doesn't make the game any more playable.  As a matter of fact, it basically puts only 2 or 3 characters in the game, and they all have to be played in the same lame manner.   That's a bad broken.