Super > U1 vs EX MGU > dash >U2

I just wanted to start a discussion separate from the 2012 change thread.

I like dash U2 still because of the damage off of one bar.

in tournament, after my super u1 honeymoon phase ends, i think i’ll go with U2 unless its against the characters who are hard to hit with it after a couple of jabs then mgu.

examples U1 > super on cody, fei, guile, and some others. maybe honda and adon?

U2 everybody else.

what do you guys think?

also what do you generally prefer? Super > U1 or EX MGU > Dash > U2

If you can consistently get EX MGU Dash U2, there really is no question save for a few unique matchups like you say. The main reason people will use Super -> U1 is for ease of execution. I’m a blanka main who also uses DJ, and I can do EX MGU dash u2 only from the right side for whatever reason, so for me, it’s a tossup, but if you really want to win tournaments and play at the highest level, U2 or bust.

Since I’m so used to using U2 I’m still going for it, I’m not really sure which matchups to use U1 for because of how it sometimes drops out. I can do Dash U2 fairly consistently so I don’t mind having to use U2 still.

Could someone make a list of matchups they believe that you should use U1 for and trying to save meter vs having to spend meter? Then the rest of the matchups would be using U2

same for me.

I think it’s just because of how your hand / fingers go around a stick (if you’re a stick player).

it’s just naturally easier for me to dash to the left (when I’m on the right side) because i can use my thumb. When i dash to the right i have to use my wrist to make my fingers tap the stick (i grip with index and middle around ball, ring and pinky under ball).

anyway, i’m going with U1 right now just cause it’s fun. And in AE i landed my Super way more often than U2, so this change might help. i dunno…

I’m almost thinking of using U2 against fireball characters (using meter so they respect the EX-Sobat) and U1 against everyone else. I don’t feel like I “need” meter against non-fireball characters.

I think if U1 was 2 frames faster and had more distance this would actually be a tough choice in way more matchups, but U2 is just better.

I feel like the super x Ultra is a cop out by capcom.

instead of changing the frame data to make it do what it is intended to do (who would of thought right?) they just gave us a cheese setup. i like how U1 is somewhat use but i’m a fundamental play and utility is very important for me.

I think super to u1 is actually good. I can throw out sobats at a safe range and if it hits I can super cancel and u1 cancel for a lot of damage.

With dash U2 I found myself using wake up ex mgu at times and just wasting meter trying to get in to even ex mgu dash U2.

I still think dash U2 is better because you don’t have to stock a full bar of super, but I’m growing more fond of super>u1. Trying to preserve meter for super has actually made me play more solid.

I agree that the Super > Ultra is a cop out.

It’s a simple change, and while “cool” it’s not the type of thing which makes people afraid of a character.

I disagree with the statement that super to u1 is a cop out.

For optimal damage and setups, ultra 2 is easily better, and the damage gained from comboing exUppercut is really high and easy.

However, u1 has its spacing for punishment versus fireballs, and predictable movements (think buffering versus dashes and focus attacks, maybe even slow recovery normals) and what you have is a counterpick ultra.

Regarding super into ultra? They literally look like they are meant to be strung together.

And the utility of this setup is very appealing for a defensive character. In training I tested a jab combo into super to ultra blocked that dealt 54 damage from chip. To the average 1000 health character that is roughly 6% of unstoppable damage. (I almost said unblockable)

That by itself is respectable, deejay can zone you out completely with the threat of chip alone as long as he can land a jab.

Its too good gentlemen, think of this ultra as an even more restrictive tool to be used for zoning or potentially heavy damage given the mistake that your opponent misses a block off of safe moves.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I will still use U1 against T.Hawk and maybe Blanka since most are not footsie based.

I always have a surplus of meter against Yun, Guile, Dudley, Fei Long and Bison. It’s really hard to vortex Yun so I hardly ever get to use ex MGU combos and I end up using meter to FADC sobat kicks to get out of situations or to end punishes with ex sobat kicks to push him further back. Now that he is nerfed, I find myself punishing his move set with normals to super or flat out super > ultra.

Super > U1 is lololololz. And yes it’s a cop out. Just fix the ultra or get rid of it Capcom. You took away Ex sobat kick crumple but too lazy to fix or change the Ultra.

I’m having fun trolling with it but I still can’t take it serious.

I have the following theory for Dee Jay now - against characters who he needs that meter against (Ryu, Akuma, Sagat…etc), I would go with U2. Hit comfirmable and only one bar required to land it allowing you to spend your meter in those fireball exchanges.

For characters where there is no need to use meter at all really (Abel, Gen, Hawk, Guile - before anyone says anything, give me a good reason why you need meter outside of may ex air slasher in this match as ex sobats are next to useless…etc), I would look for the super to Ultra 1 from a simple hit confirm. Dee Jay builds so much meter that you can normally have super every round if you manage that meter.

Okay, so it’s open to debate as to how each player likes to use that meter, but from a logical point this is the way I would go - Ultra 1 when meter is not needed for match up specifics, U2 when you have to burn it to keep in a fight.

grapplers might require meter to get out of the mixup if you panic.

as the fireball characters you mentioned i can maul them with no meter. lk sobat to beat the cr. mk whore and safe mk sobat pressure goes a long way. try beating them with out meter. i’ve had to do it in some comebacks so i do it by default and safe the meter for comebacks and when i know i won’t get ultra.

Solely on animation alone, Ultra 2 is the best :wink:
But seriously we shouldn’t be complaining about any free Dee Jay buffs, they could have just easily not given him the buff in the first place. Like a previous poster said, it’s a decent option for matchups where you don’t need to spend much meter or you can shut down part of your opponent’s game with the threat of super->ultra 1

Im down for EX MGU > U2. Ive messed with u1. while its cool and POWERFUL. restricting myself on meter just bothers me, since I like using it for wake up Ex MGU vs cr.LK.

I like the super >u1 thing, but it is a stupid addition, and I hate sitting on 4 bars.

Dee Jay has great ex moves that I feel are wasted in stocking your super. I’d be more scared of someone with 1 bar and U2 knowing that you could potentially land the ultra from an ex MGU than someone with a full super > U1 gimmick.

It really does feel like a cop out; instead of changing the frame data on U1 Capcom just says “save your meter for super > U1!”. Lol

So far I would say Super > U1 is okay at best. Its ability to do 200 chip is very impressive and easy to pull off, and that’s the best thing I can say about it. Apart from that, you need to sacrifice a lot of damage and tools throughout the match to be able to scrounge up enough meter to do it in round 2 or 3 of the match. It’s probably not worth it for an extra 200 damage or so in chip or in combo.

For those with dash U2 at 80% or higher it’s really not worth it. That doesn’t mean that U1 isn’t good in the matchups we’re already using it in (Hawk, Honda, Blanka, sometimes Sagat and shotos if you can read mid-range fireballs well). I just don’t think Super > U1 adds a whole lot to Dee Jay’s toolset.

What would change my mind is if people started developing really effective strategies on how to play conservatively with meter. At the moment I think in most matchups EX is too important. You can cut out EX upkicks a lot by knowing when to use lk as opposed to mk upkicks x2, and you can cut out most of your EX MGU usage by just using HP MGU, which actually does more damage than EX MGU anyway (though it obviously doesn’t let you do the juggle with EX Sobat). EX Maxout rarely gets used anyways. EX Sobat, though, is one of my main tools in a lot of matchups, and I can’t see myself weaning off that anytime soon. Still, I’m keeping an open mind.

When I first started using U1 after 2012 came out, I felt myself looking too hard for opportunities to use super->U1, usually causing me to play “not my style” or force situations causing me to spaz out the move. Now I’ve learned to relax and focus on my normals and not worry about if I’m using my meter or not, as long as it’s the right situation. Also, I believe switching has caused me to not keep going for EX MGU on wake up or using it trying to blow up block strings; this forced me to play more patient and “honest” when in the corner/being pressured.

I’m sure I’ll switch back to U2 eventually too; right now I’m just exploring situations with U1 (once the opponent’s life dips just below the win “globes” at the top, look for the cheap chip win lol)

can Deejay still EX Slash > U1?

most likely, but the spacing is very strict.