Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Tiers?

1. sorry, this is how I spell my name. You can learn how to deal with it. Take your time, I’m not in a hurry.

2. a lot of people disagreeing doesn’t mean you are wrong. It means you have to defend your opinion and discuss. If you don’t think I’m doing a decent job of defending my opinion, then I guess I’m not doing a very good job, but either way these are the most basic rules of debate. Not, you know, saying “dude you can’t spell”. But I’m sure you’ll hang on to that one for a while anyway.

3. I’m pretty good at SPF. Around the people I know, I’m almost undefeated(given, none of them play as much as myself or the people in this thread probably play). “Digging” isn’t a main technique of mine or anything, I’m just saying it’s a part of the game that is pretty hard to avoid. Remember when I emphasized that a few posts ago, so people wouldn’t get confused over what I was saying? I guess you didn’t catch that one. You are going to have a lot of those little stray blocks that get chipped away nomatter how good you are at building up, and with a character like Ken that is a bad thing. That is why I personally have better games with the characters I consider top tier. That’s all I’m trying to say.

You should really settle down, it’s not a big deal, pal.

Can I call you pal?

Why is this thread still alive? I thought this was gospel already. Admittedly I’m mediocre at best in SPF but look, the top three (eight? sixteen? almost everyone who entered?) players of every SPF tourney that I have heard of in the past used Ken. Hell, usually the arcade or the TD offers to double the cash prize if you can win the tourney without using Ken (in the few SPF tournaments nowadays), but nobody is ever able to.

If that doesn’t blatantly display tier discrepency, then I dunno what does.

If you want reasons, it’s pretty much this:

• Ken’s large attacks are extremely hard to stop because of his pattern and the fact that when he attacks you, it’ll be stacked unevenly. Against good players, a large ass attack is guarenteed to happen within the first 25 seconds.

• In contrast, every other character has major weaknesses. Sakura gets killed by diamonds. Ryu and Chun-li are pretty self explanitory. Akuma/Devilot do half damage. Donovan is ok, but if you plan for him, then his pattern is pretty bad. Good Ken players will not small attack you unless they’re near death and trying to clear stuff.

• Small attacking Ken just adds fuel to the fire. In a lot of cases, large attacking Ken without a follow up is suicide (unless you’re Ken as well, and even then)

• Top level play seems to revolve around the diamond glitch anyways.

I don’t play the game much myself, but going along with what Yumi mentioned the tournaments at Sunnyvale Golfland give a bonus if you can even PLACE using someone other than Ken.

No one I’ve seen who’s good at this game will argue for anyone besides Ken.

Also, as an interesting side note, a player I know who’s good at this game told me that Dan isn’t that bad as he actually gets more blocks to drop when he breaks. Granted, they’re all one color, so you’d better be damn sure that you’re gonna win when you break something.

To do the diamond glitch, you flip it right when it lands?

Yes. Also isn’t netplay available through Kaillera? I remember a SPF matchmaking thread a long time ago. And yes, Ken is godtier.

Chunli gets a damage boost, too. It can work if you’re (1) quick and (2) lucky.

what exactly does diamond glitch do?

I’ll give anyone $1,000 if you can beat my Ryu. I will see all of you at Midwest Challenge.

Be forewarned, though, he won’t pay if he doesn’t feel like it. No guarantees he’ll even show up! He might get distracted by a chick with nice feet.

Normally when you use a diamond the power of the gems you break gets reduced. When you glitch it you get the full attack.

If I can guarantee you that i’ll win will you pay for my plane ticket in advance?