Street Fighter I / Fighting Street

With Street Fighter 1 coming out in the 30th anniversary edition, it’d be interesting to talk about this.

not much to talk about. Normals are useless which is ironic because what set the game apart was having 6 buttons with so many attacks. The game is just sho can mash fireball/srk the fastest and most consistently. it’s a very bad and shallow game, i’d take yir ar kung fu over it anyday.

Actually, originally, it was two 2-bit attack buttons, but they just kept breaking so much that the 6 button solution was implemented. If the d-pad wasn’t so hard to control, the triggers could be used as 2-bit attack buttons.

But the matches with the CPU are more intersting than the Ryu Vs., Ken Matches. A person who can pull off specials has a 99.9% chance of winning against someone who doesn’t, ans 2 people who know just turns into an execution-consistency match. With the TG16 cheat, (select plus joystick equals special) the game is pitifully easy vas the CPU.

I was hoping they’d use the analog button concept and make street fighter 1.5 where anyone character can play any character human or computer. But it would NOT be worth it for the analog buttons if it’s just Ryu vs. Ken as 1up vs. 2up matches

There is an unauthorized version of Street Fighter 1.5 on PC. I assume it’s better than the original. There’s also the Mega Man 7 and 8 “De-makes” with NES style gameplay and graphics that were way better than the original 7 and 8. Capcom should hire these tinkerer and get the new content authorized and networked,.

Also, assuming you don’t know fireballs, dragon punches and hurricane kicks, is there’s a strategic difference between the 3 strengths? And is it more skillful to press 2 buttons at 3 different strengths, or to move between 6 buttons?

Also I know how to pull off dragon punches and fireballs in Street Fighter 2 WW and beyond, and can mechanically pull it off when intended either left- or right- handed well enough, but I’m having trouble pulling them off (without the cheat) on the Wii version of the Turbo Grafx CD version of Fighting Street. Were they that hard to pull off in the arcade, or was the TG16CD version badly programmed, or was the Wii Virtual Console version badly translated?

lol yes. Special in sf1 had no leniency and were inconsistent. You just have to mash the motion over and over again and you will get it some of the time. treat every hadouken like a shinku hadoken or something.

The game is actually dumb. it’s random and near impossible without specials due to the physics and brainless with them. I first played it on the capcom classics collection and the whole think is mashing fireball or srk for every fight.

The key thing people keep forgetting is that the game was made for the arcade in 1987. All arcade games at the time were highly cheap and difficult…that was the nature of the arcade scene, soaking up as many quarters as possible.

Second thing is that the 6-button configuration was a version change from the pneumatic 2-button versions where the higher pressure you’d apply to the button-press, the harder attack you’d do. So at it’s v1 core, the game was built to be a masher.

Personally I like the game for purely nostalgic reasons. That tune when the vs. screen pops up, or the muffled voice, always brings me back to memories the arcade I used to go to growing up. I played a bunch of SF, but it definitely wasn’t my favourite game back in '87. At the time I was still playing games like Robotron, Galaga, Gyruss. But when SF2 came out, EVERYTHING changed. SF2 was all we could talk about, we ate, slept, shat SF2 on the daily. The arcade scene was so different by that point, and I remember vague memories of looking over at the unused SF1 cabinet while waiting for my turn in the quarter queue, and thinking to myself “farewell old friend, you’ve paved the way to greater times to come” (or something along those lines of thought).

1 Like

So it wasn’t a bad conversion of the Wii Virtual Console. Nor is the source a bad TG 16 translation (even though there it had “button hold length = attack strength” “charg-alog” buttons.

Maybe someone who mastered SFI can answer these quetions. The dragon punch move is so famous, it’s part of the logo and the name of shoruyken.com. I know the game is uber easy if you can pull off specials off like clockwork. (Try fighting street with the auto-spoecial cheat code, except that’s a cheat) A lot of people who were able to successfully pull off moves in both games, they never explain the difference in execution points between a SFi Fireball, Dragon Punch, and Hurricane Kick vs the SFII cousins. Eveyone says keep trying, you’l eventually get it. I have literally pulled off 2 fireballs in Fighting Street without the cheat mode, and both were accidents. But intentionally trying to pull them off, I’ve got zero successes Is there like a million dollar Street Fighter I tournament going on I don’t know about? Apparently yes, because no one is willing to share the secrets, other than saying “Keep trying. It’s designed to fail most times.”

Also 2 questions about the finer points. V1 with the 2-bit analog buttons (regardless of the technology, there are mathematically 4 states, unpressed, light, medium, and heavy. 2 raised to the second power is 4, hence 2 bit buttons) Was version deisnged so that harder was ALWAYS better, and they didn’t do the balanced approach of lighter attacks being quicker, harder to block, and be set ups for longer combos, until SF2WW? Or is there a strategic time in SFI where you want to use a lighter attack?

If the answer is “harder is always better”, than it’s a game about physical endurance of the player. If not, wouldn’t it be a harder skill to master “dialing a strength when needed” using the 2 bit buttons than it would be to either sllding the finger to different buttons, or using a middle or ring finger to actuate heavier punches and kicks?

Capcom should seriously make a SF1.5, with every player as a possible player, human opponent, or computer opponent. The default would be to use the 2 triggers as 2-bit punch and kick. But 2 things have to happen, dial down the difficulty AND the power of the special moves, and make more strategic reasons why you’d rather deal out a light punch over a heavy other than “I’m too tired to hit heavy”. But i’d like to see the SFI character and move sets explored more. make it a $5 download add-on content for SF 30th Anniversary for Xbox One, PS4, Switch and Steam, complete with online head to head. PS4 and Xbox One have analog triggers. I assume PC controller do too. For the switch I’d put it in some sort of motion analog mode, since it defaults to having no analog buttons.

Also the SF 30th anniversary stick would have an 8 button layout with the 2 “consumable 3P and 3K” attacks being analog punch and kick. And make it reversible so that lefties and righties can use it. And with the light attacks as analogs, all you need is 2 buttons to analog to accommodate both sides when flipped 180 degrees and have one perfect SF anniversary stick. Heck make it SF 1.5 a free download with a purchase of an SF anniversary stick with both analog pinkies and ambidexterity. It could be shaped and arranged like the 15th anniversary stick for PS2 and Xbox Prime, but with more hand room on the other side for flipping. And move start and select so they are out of the way for Both hands.

Also, it’s a known fact when you advertise that harder button presses are stronger, and give no strategic reasons why lighter is better, you’d be more apt to bash the buttons in if they were the ARCADE OWNER’S responsibility. If you had YOUR OWN joystick with analog buttons, you’d not needlessly fist pound the 2 analog buttons, hence why it could work better at home compared to the arcade. You’d be more careful wiht them if they were your own stick. To demonstrate how much force is needed to get maximium strength, as well as the 2 lighter strengths, a required strength demo would be at the beginning with an achievement to unlock “I <3 my joystick” Stop button abuse. Have analog triggers previously been subject to abuse? if not, use the same technology. It doesn’t need to be a clone of the SF1 tech, Just the 2 bit buttons are all that’s necessary. it can even be 8 bit buttons divided into 3 zones.

And yes, I flipped a PS2 stick, and got it working for any console that can chain to it. There are like 14 others that can be adapted directly to PS2 and 3 indirectly. At least for everything they make Street Fighter something for (except 3DO, at least as anyone but the last player in the daisy chain).

Atari 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision and Astrocade, I’m still holding out hope for an easy PS2-> those adapter. Chaining adapters to adapters work too, so some other common format to those systems would be cool too. 2600 and 7800 can use a Genesis to 7800 adapter with a PS2-> Genesis adapter. 3DO needs a PS2 to 3DO adapter WITH the daisy chain so multiple people can play. The rarest one, and the one I need least is Jaguar.

But remember there are plenty of other good games where a joystick is better with than a pad besides Street Fighter (and even other fighting games). As much as Pre-NES joysticks were ambidextrous, they were equally unergonomic to both hands This could breathe some new life into them.

Actually, I never Played Street Fghter 1 in the arcade, because the 2-bt buttons were broken all the time.

I just played it on SF 30th, and let me tell you, if you’re used to playing Fighting Street for the Wii virtual Console version of the TGCD conversion, you look like a master if typical SFI Arcade perfromances were carried over into the Wii version, (I’m assuming it’s a 100% emulation, so the TGCD version was also just as bad control-wise)

In SF30 veriosn of SFI I was able to pull a special about 1 out of 4 or five times when i repeately spammed specials. I chose the continuous forward roll + Piunch on the Wii or + Heavy Punch on the SF30), because if it hits at down-right (assuming facing right) I get a dragon punch (By the way Ryu actually speaks English, he says either “Uppercut” or “Dragon Punch”, ( I was so amazed THAT I pulled it off, I couldn’t remember the details, but it definitely wasn’t “Shoryuken”) ) or if it lands when registering right, I get a fireball, (called “Psycho Fire”) so I’m twice as likely to hit a special move than when I go for the Hurricane Kick. (but that does come in handy off a block).

I think it’s like squaring lengths to get an area. If you have a 1% chance of doing one thing right (inputting the directions) and a 1% percenr chance of doing another task right (mastering the timing of the “charga-log buttons”. Basic in the Wii veriosn and the TG16 veriosn, only 2 buttons were used, but they were digittal butoons naturally. So Someone brilliant decided to make how LONG in time you press the button determine the strength of the punch. But if you hold it too long, you are defenseless and telegraphing.) It’s like hitting a on square centimeter target consistently, with a bullet only one microare in area, at a range where you can accutately hit to the nearest square meter; A square meter is a centare. (Because an Are is 10mx10m so that the unit of land, a Hectare, would be close enough to an acre for land purposes in British nations converting to Metric. America is the only nation where individual business decide whether you buy a Gallon of milk or 2 Liters of Pepsi, in both cases they have to print the other’s exact equivalent.) But the point is the metric units show a linear relationship of factors of 10 area units, called Ares. so a Hectare has 100 x the the area of an Are, even though it’s10 times the length, assuming square shape, but Ares cover any area shape,not just rectangles.). A square Centimeter is a Microare, (1 millionth of an Are) There are 10000 microsares in a Centare Therefore the Centare has 10000x the area of a Microare. If hitting a one meter square target from a certain distance would be considered sporting, and you were the best in the world at hitting 1m bullseyes, you’ll only hit the bullseye 1 out of 10.000 if you and the same distance, but use a bullet 1/100 the length and 1/100 the width. and the only way it activates is hitting bot the x and y axis, assuming you can 100% accurately AND 100% precisely hit a 1 square meter target If you hit it every time, you could be a professional stealth hitman.

That’s how getting the awkward motions in SFI arcade combined with the Fighting Street “charga-log” buttons to work a same time is futile. Yes, when you play Fighting Street, if you didn’t understand that mathematical concept, you would praise the heavens you can SOMEWHAT consistently hit a fireball or dragon punch. A SFI Arcade firebal and Dragon Punch is WAY easier than a Fighting Street one, but nowhere near a SF2 version.

1 Like

Hadouken in this game is the same as doing a Kaiser Wave

Yes I played SFI on SF30. I was only hitting it about one out of every 4 or 5 times, but compared to the Fighting Street On Wii, I look like a fireball/dragon punch master, Literally the only I pulled off a fireball, dragon punch or hurricane kick was by accident literally once or twice. The only wasy I can pull it off consistently was using the TG16 cheat, because the Wii version is based off the TG 16 version.

Plus I never got the answer, what is the “cost” of using a heavy punch or kick in the Arcade, and supposedly the SF30 version too? Is it quickness? Is it reload time?

Or is it a matter of how well you can physically “punch and kick” hard. In that case, the 6-button version boils down to a hard punch/hard kick game, and the physical endurance aspect of repeatedly attacking hard wearing you out was gone n the 6-button version.

At least the TG16 had a cost of telegraphing and preplanning your move.

Hadouken in this game is the same as doing a Kaiser Wave