Street Fighter and Copyright Law

Yay, good call dude! Capcom also has a copyright in the SF2 logo etc, so they’d also have a monetary incentive to defend their copyright because it’s being reproduced, distributed, and cetera without any of the money going to them, but that’s just nitpicking.

Another thing is the subject of parodies. A parody is a literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule.

For the most part, it falled under the fair-use doctrine, stating that a parody “is the use of some elements of a prior author’s composition to create a new one that, at least in part, comments on that author’s works.”

“Koryuken!”

:lovin: CAPCOM…

No, you don’t get a “legal beatdown” if you choose to change/modify/alter/enhance a circuit/electronics piece inside of a Tekken 5 joystick that you bought for yourself. The only thing you’ll do is void your warranty if you do so. So, putting something in like a switch attached to a small circuit board that facilitates ‘rapid-fire’ action for the buttons is quite all right. However, if your intent is to modify a bunch of these T5 joysticks with that same ‘rapid-fire’ switch+circuitboard and sell them all to people, then that’s when the law can go after you @$$. However, I’m not sure about add-on devices that attach to joysticks to “enhance” or “adapt/convert” them, since such devices do not alter the original product and no internal re-wiring has to be done in order to use them (examples: (Sony) PS2 to USB adapter , Tyco Power Plug).

As far as the ‘Hadouken’ motion being owned by Capcom, I think that the Capcom vs. Data East case dismissed that since such combinations of inputs weren’t truly innovative enough to warrant being an exclusive idea (Imaging if M$ owned the idea of single-clicking & double-clicking via a mouse, what would other mouse-based operating systems do then to initiate an input?? Triple-clicking? :confused: ). As much as I am grateful for Capcom for thinking up the Hadouken input-combination method for initiating something like a “fireball” in their games, I am also grateful that they weren’t able to lay exclusive claim to it for it is a very intuitive way of firing projectiles in any fighting video game, IMHO even if it’s not from Capcom. :wgrin:

just quick question…
are all capcom (street fighter) character names copyright?
like for example I want to use a specific characters name
as a apparel brand line