SSF4 Guile Match-up Thread: Typhoon < Sonic Boom < Vortex

woohoo. finally a new matchup thread. my new home.

oh and @ nemesys thanks for the option select tips in the other thread. i think i’ll try to incorporate the lk/hk wakeup one in my game.

This is a good start.

Please remove this line from the Balrog section, it’s quite false

Guile really should not dash forward after a blocked level 2 focus attack because he is at a frame disadvantage due to Boxer’s c.lp which stuffs everything you do.

Guile is +3 after a blocked lvl2 FA dash forward. A little bit of trivia…if Guile does blocked lvl2 FA > dash forward > close s.jab your opponent cannot reversal this at all. Ryu cannot DP, Sagat cannot DP, Balrog cannot c.jab, etc. etc. They will still be stuck in block stun animation so reversal will be impossible. It’s also really friggin hard to do since you can’t plink s.jab under normal circumstances, but it does work.

Yes, they are. I wouldn’t post anything that involved lag based tactics. At first Daigo starts losing but then adapts and plays one of the best defenses that I’ve seen (i.e., blocks all overheads, techs almost every throw, saves meter to LK super combo punish Ibuki’s slide, etc.). Go with the first three parts if space is an issue.

Indeed, this is a tough match up. I don’t want to be the one jumping to conclusions, but Ibuki doesn’t have a traditional fireball and command throw. Her normals aren’t top tier status either. If the Guile player can stay on his feet and play some stubborn defense, he can win. I think the videos above accurately depict just that, which is why I like them.

I have some videos of Guile vs Sagat where the Guile takes on the Gat textbook style. I’m uploading those in a little bit.

This is Awesome! Great Job Slinkun!

[media=youtube]PEKRcsxsWoY[/media]

[media=youtube]DxaLGindRGo[/media]

a couple of my replays. I’m going through my list to find the matches where I got slapped silly. MY friends sagat was very good, but he did say to me on the phone that with the buffs Guile got and the nerfs Sagat received, the match is definitely in Guile’s favour. Guile still has to work very hard to win though IMO

[media=youtube]cMxy0stebBo[/media]

MY friends Chun Li is pretty strong, I got dominated in the first 2 rounds but things went my way in the 3rd

[media=youtube]D-tXAED_vFk[/media]

Ok, I made the requested changes. A lot of the discussion spoilers was stuff I just glanced at, saw some useful stuff, and posted. I should go through them all and check for false info.

@Rexell: Awesome shit about tagging akuma’s jump forward EX air fireball with U2 for a good trade. I never would have thought of that, posted with haste. Honestly, his EX air FB always gave me fits.

@M2dave: Or anyone really for that matter… which one of those vs. ibuki vids would you consider the best example of a textbook guile vs. ibuki fight?

Ergh, I wish I could actually watch some of these videos for myself.

One thing I’m trying to avoid is having this turn into “The Guile Video Thread 2: The sequel.” That’s why I want to limit to a max of 2 or 3 videos, each with different players (and playstyles) that highlight proper use of anti-airs, pokes, zoning, footsies, option selects, pressure, and/or getting pressured.

I will admit that I’m a little bit of a whore, so I’m probably going to post any vids that pop up of big names like Daigo, Yoshiwo, Dagger, or Lamerboi before posting other ones, based solely on the big name alone. Sorry if that makes me seem like a douche Hoppa. I know your a good player, but it’s the same reason that I’m probably not going to post any of my vids either… because I feel people would learn more from watching Yoshiwo vs Itabashi than Slinkun vs Mashojo, you know?

Of course, if I’m wrong, let me know people! This is an internet forum after all.

Who is Mashojo?

Good Shit slinkun. I can supply some info if needed. I’ve found some decent things while playing online but have yet to validate a lot of it with frame data.

Mashojo Zangitan. Not sure if I actually spelled it right… he’s a really good grandmaster gief in Japan. There’s a video on youtube of us playing. One of my better matches, it’s a pretty good watch.

I should have won that match but I choked. I don’t know the time where it happened, but essentially, the first round ended with me air throwing him in the corner, throwing a meaty boom, then landing a j.hk before he had time to squeeze in a reversal lariat. Then later, when it was game point, I did the same thing… air threw him into the corner and chucked a meaty boom. However, I figured he’d be wise to the same trick, so I jumped a little later, but instead of sticking out a j.hk, I empty jumped to bait a lariat and then ultra punish it. It worked perfectly except for the fact that I never ultra’d. That’s a trap that seems to work in a lot of matchups though.

Wow…interesting. Guess I need to do a search for that.

Guiles ultra 1 will beat rufus’s ultra 2(big bang typhoon) as a reversal if done for chip but no other move will

Ok, I think you have made your point. I’ll post my matches (that are worthwhile) to the the other thread in future. I’ll look for matches involving Yazu, NO NAME and Yoshiwo. hopefully something worth looking at.

Hell I didnt realise about using U2 against Akumas EX air fireball haha… The AKumas players in my area will be in for a rude shock when I play them next:P.

Against Cammy, I found that she is safe if you try to U2 her after blocking a Spiral arrow. Maybe I’m doing it a bit too late but C MP > Flash kick always seems to be a safer bet, unless one of you can tell me otherwise

Yoshiwo VS Hishou (Sagat)

[media=youtube]CijyIDA2te8]YouTube - Yoshiwo (Guile) vs Hishou (Sagat) [Nagoya Street Battle 9[/media]

Yoshiwo played this match to perfection. Almost made it look too easy but really it was a hard slog.

Personally I feel Guile vs Guile should be 10-0 in favour of Guile.

Some Fei Long specifics:

Backwards sobat can beat chickenwing (even EX) clean, but the timing is strict. If you’re feeling especially stylish, you can df. HK the chickenwing.
His jumping roundhouse can beat your airthrow, but only if he physics an airthrow and does it really early, if you mix up your anti-airs you can destroy him in the air.

Honda:
It’s possible to beat his Jumping HP by dashing forward and using crouching FP.

Hakan:
I’ve messed around with Hakan, and I honestly believe Guile is his hardest matchup. Play lame, keep a sonic boom on screen, and don’t let him oil up and it seems he really cannot win.
Also, for some reason, I don’t think Sonic Hurricane catches his jump in’s.

EDIT:

I also need some help. I ran into a really annoying strat that I couldn’t counter. Basically, a Ryu would air tatsu away from me the entire game, and use the EX he built to hit me with EX fireball. When I finally cornered him, he would just roflcopter away. So, esentially, how do I counter the roflcopter in the corner, and how to I get them when they are cross screen? I’m not sure if I expained what he was doing correctly, but it was really, really annoying.

Ok, need some help here. I’m a rookie Guile player (picked him up 72 hours ago) and played a really good Boxer who knew how to space out J. FP (which seemed to rape my C. FP) and I had a big problem getting him away from me w/his constant rushing. I read you can throw him out of it, but I’m probably not reacting fast enough?

I read matchup charts that Guile WINS this matchup. Any additional tips besides the first page (which was very helpful to start off)

you can’t tell me that the worst matchups in this game for guile are only 4-6 i.e. a slight disadvantage. guiles good but some matchups are atually hard, and not just a little bit in the other guys favor.

Like for example you give the matchup vs Akuma a 4-6 score noting this is his hardest matchup, and people agree that it is a hard match. Then vs boxer you give the same score (but the other way around) saying it’s 6-4 in Guiles favor but noting that it’s even or only a slight advantage for Guile. That shows no consistency.

The people giving every matchup in SSF4 a 5-5 or a 6-4 annoy me. The game is balanced but it does have actual bad matchups you know.

I myself have WAY more issues w/Boxers than Akuma players. I feel like I can at least keep akuma away from me but Boxer, I can’t. Maybe I have yet to run into an elite Akuma, but just my 2 cents

I remmember that Boxer gave me tons of problems and was asking for help. Let me just say that boxer cant really take advantage of guile’s main weakness which is cross ups. Few tips from an online gamer
*boxer has NO cross up and if he tries one you should be ready to tech.
*c.mk should be used as a poke and sobat backwards kick to avoid the jumping arc in which boxer wins vs any anti air guile has.
*use backfist when boxer goes through boom
*If your boxer keeps rushing from a safe distance where you cant reverse, you should save meter for lk super.
*LEARN to BLOCK and dont do stupid stuff like booms near their wakeup

Dont fall for the jab>grab game, instead use fk>fadc backwards to reset the distance. I hate that shit specially when I have a shitty connection and everyone starts grabing me for free eventho I OS grabs.

I beat most of the balrogs from chip, boom damage, couple of normals. Once they go nuts, they space themself bad and you can land some exFKs.

One of the best experiences I got over at Evo2k10 was the privilege of getting an all night crash course with a Balrog mainer. We went through about 90 matches nonstop. Rog can’t really do anything from 3/4 distance if you keep a constant spray of lp booms going. If he tries jumping over the sonic boom, AA backhand takes care of the situation and keeps him grounded. If he tries to TAP or EX rush through the boom, Guile has short enough recovery to grab his arm and chuck him.

Also, the hitbox on Guile’s backhand extends past his fist. Basically he can knock people out with the wind. lol.