SSF4 Guile General Discussion Thread

so guys i think daigo dropped guile cus i don’t see him use him anymore in his online matches. he went back to ryu. i guess this means guile isnt good anymore.

Had an awesome disrespectful shades moment today. This dumb ryu tries a wake up ultra, so I jump behind him, throw on the shades as I land and blamo in the back of the head for the win. Muahaha

Hey guys, new Guile player here.

Just a few questions I’ve got about Guile.

1. His cr.lp, cr.mp is a 1 frame link right? cr.lp is +4 on hit, and cr.mp is 4 frame startup, but for some reason, I’m finding myself landing this combo 90%+ of the time, without plinking… Is this an error? I can never connect 1 frame links that well (Balrog’s st.lp, cr.rh for example), but with this I’m smashing them out all of the time. I’m thinking it’s actually a 2 frame link and just a typo in the frame data or something.

2. Without ex-meter, what do you guys do to get out of pressure situations? Example like Balrog/Akuma/Bison cornering you. I know with 2 bar ex, you can throw out flash kick FADC for safety, but up close with these characters on me, I usually get destroyed.

3. Supposedly Guile’s new sonic booms can keep up with Sagat’s fireballs in a war. This, I’m finding hard to see. I’m pre-buffering the sonic boom (hold back, then forward, back + punch) but I still can’t seem to keep up with Sagat’s fireballs. Any tips or is this simply not possible?

4. I’m getting a LOT of hate mail for playing Guile. Lots of “f***in coward” and crap like that. Is this normal?

Anyway, I’m really enjoying Guile and working on getting flash kick, FADC, Ultra 2 going. I still don’t understand how it works? Once I dash…doesn’t that drop the back charge for the U2?

1. Who cares? Be happy it’s easy for you.:clapdos:

2. Block and guess right is all you can really do.

3. Eventually Guile will lose to non-charge FBs. New booms allow you to last a little longer.

4. Yes. We have our own hate mail thread.

5. No. You have a small window to input the Ultra.

Hell yeah Simtang, rep Guile hard! Make 'em bitch!

Need some help with vanilla IV, Guile’s normal trials.

I believe its:

J. RH
cr. MP
Flash Kick
Super

How do you connect Flash Kick into the Super? Its driving me nuts. Thanks.

Are you serious?

1. You posted a vanilla question in a Super thread.
  2. The question has been answered more than once in existing threads and many other separate threads.

charge db, uf+k (this is the fk) db uf+k (this is the super).

Sorry, I just couldn’t see Guile’s thread in the vanilla section. One thing about the second “DB” charge: do I have to hold it down again or do I just go to UF straight from DB? Thanks.

No need to hold it down again. Just go db to uf quickly.

For returning guile players how are you finding your tourney results are fairing in super? Guile is my secondary pick and I’m finding he’s a great compliment to my main who is chun. He usually gets the job done when chun can’t. <3 ssf4 guile 4 eva!

Hi, I am a new guile user. I met a Ryu, he cross up me all day long with his light kick jump in, then jab jab blah blah blah. I flash kick him but usually miss and here we go again.
What shd I do? Any tips?

if you know he’s going to just again just neutral jump and airthrow. Also if he is crossing you up when you stand you can just dash under him. Anyone doing this is asking to be fucked up.

Bend him over and show him what the Sonic Hurricane is all about, y’kno’wha’I’msayin’?

I feel that some clarification is required on a lot of crossup complaints. If we’re talking about you getting knocked down, then crossed up as your getting up off the ground, then no, there’s no easy way out here. Just block it out.

Now, if your playing someone who is constantly going for what I like to call re-cross-ups… where they c.lp > c.lp > c.lp > crossup > c.lp > c.lp > crossup > whatever… then this is easily escapeable. There isn’t a single character in the game who does not have an escape for this, but it still seems to trip up a lot of new players. The main piece of advice I can give here is get back to basics: remember your anti-airs. You will see these sort of re-cross-ups a lot from blankas and shoto players, and your best options are:

1. Re-position yourself slighty, (move forward or back a step), then c.hp
  2. Jump-up or jump-back air throw
  3. Jump-back fierce

Another thing you may encounter while on the subject are people who poke > poke > neutral jump attack > poke > crossup > neutral jump attack > poke > poke > etc. For this, same rules and counters apply, except c.hp may not be as useful as s.mk, s.hp, c.mp, or if you really want to/can make them hurt for neutral jumping, df.hk.

Again, the most important thing here is to be vigilant with your counters. I might let someone get away with doing this once or twice in a set, but once i find out “oh, they are THAT kind of player” I cut that shit off. A funny thing happens when a player starts doing this to you too… they lose respect for your defense. I know that when i do this stuff with Guile against whoever, the match is already won, since they obviously have poor defensive skills. It lets me get in more throws, random counter-hits… basically pressure for free.

So just keep in mind that you have to be physically watching for it. Once you identify this strategy, shut it down with what you already know is effective.

I know the damage is minimal but jump back lp (for resetting the space) works wonders as well.

you could add focus dash cancel the cross up to the list of escapes I suppose.

You can also try the GeoM method (I’ve yet to try this in a real match…):

cr.mk =)

While it is an escape, I think it’s a poor one. I think something that’s really key here is that there is hardly ever a situation where you shouldn’t be able to smack this type of over-aggression with an AA and get some damage for your trouble. Plus, for the sake of simplicity, a nice jump back air throw or c.hp is easy to land and, when performed correctly, safe.

The only thing you have to be really careful with is correct use of c.hp. It starts up slow enough that you have to be careful about which side it comes out on. You may have to shimmy forward a little and use it a little bit later than normal for example, or else it might whiff if your opponent is too high in the air or on the other side of you.

I’m actually trying to figure out how to autocorrect ultra/super.

I don’t think there are any changes on Guile after today’s patch