SSF4 AE C.Viper Match-up Thread

WoW just saw this thread, very nice work!!!

we need some info on dealing with akuma’s vortex
especually ones with air fireball pinning you down, where u cant neutral jump hk or hp tk the flips in time

Tried blocking? Seems to work most of the time for me.

About Fei, once he learns the range where he can rekka you safely, he’s a pain in the ass. lp rekka is safe, so he gets free chip, and also gets to follow up for free with c.lp on block (stuffs everything, recovers in time to block ex seismo and ex bk, hp tk whiffs). The problem with lp tk to counter the rekkas is…the range where you can do that, he can either lp rekka or far standing fierce, which hits mid, stuffs everything except a perfectly timed ex seismo, and does Honda-like damage on counterhit.

His standing HK is beastly anti-air while he’s standing, so a telegraphed jump to his front will fail.

As in other games, is cr. HP and cr. LK have deceptive ranges.

Beware of his flame kick as a ground-to-ground reversal, it’s horizontal range is rediculous on start-up. The good news is, if you make him whiff it once, and you punish it correctly (crazy unsafe, have forever and a day to FFF), he shouldn’t do it again, unless you’re extremely predictable.

Best way i’ve found to deal with Fei is to knock him down and don’t give him breathing room, ever. Fei has no way to deal with burnkick pressure on wakeup except a psychic dash the correct way. He has no good anti-air for crossups aside from his flame kick, which he needs to auto-correct. As always, lk bk right over his head stuffs his flame kick and should dissuade him from doing it.

Never let him CW you. Ex Seismo or hp knuckle it, you have plenty of time to react.

The only way for him to reliably land an ultra is off of a focus, which, unfortunately, is very good. If he mistimes an ultra or super, you get reversal punishment between the 4th and 5th hits. Preferably ultra, with ex seismo as backup, or if you have no meter, hp tk works.

Only seismo pressure more than half screen, as he can fierce rekka you on reaction from about half screen. If he starts to CW your seismos on reaction, start feinting to bait it, and punish (which you should always be doing anyway, no matter who you’re fighting).

Yeah I asked Flash about the same thing and he basically said just block or backdash. Most of Viper’s offensive attacks just start up too slow to beat Akuma’s vortex on reaction. Just set up a situation in training mode against the vortex and practice blocking it. Once you get more familiar with it you’ll start to catch more of an eye for it. Especially since it’s not like Akuma will rape all of your life on the first vortex. Usually if he’s trying to hit you with hurricane cross he just combos into sweep for a bit of damage and tries to go for that or dive kick again. When I was playing against Dr.Chaos’ Akuma at Winter Brawl he didn’t tag me but with maybe like one dive kick the entire match. I just blocked and backdashed my way out of everything else.

The better option is to block the mixup coming from the Vortex set up. If the Akuma is good, he’ll do an OS to catch a backdash. However, backdash does beat some options coming from the Vortex setups which is the beauty of the Vortex since he has so many options from it, and good Akumas will taylor their options to what you are doing to try and get out of the situation on wake up. And generally you probably block/crouch tech first, then try and backdash.

I play Akuma as a secondary so this is what I usually do to others is to see what they do to try and get out of my Vortex setup then taylor the next mixup with that escape in mind.

You are a god!!

Some things I thought I would touch on the Viper vs Sakura match. She is free until she has meter, Ex SRK gets her out of a lot of mix ups. Not only is her standing hard kick a pain as mentioned above but her jumping hard kick is very good, the angle of which it strikes creates a lot of pressure. If she begins to use ex tatsu strings although those are not completely safe because H.TK will beat it if blocked but the timing seems to be strict. Sizmo pressure from full screen can be dangerous if she has meter she can cross the screen and punish giving her an untechable (toshi I believe). I believe both players have to be on point in this fight and a lot of baiting is required to get rid of that pesky meter. Also please anyone correct me on anything, this is just my experience in playing a very decent Sakura on a regular schedule.

On knockdown, I think Sakura’s still free even with meter, as her EX SRK can be safe jumped rather easily and you can easily make it whiff with a cross-up BK and punish her.
As for her standing hard kick, I believe LP TK will get under that.

Full screen, yeah, Otoshi can punish Seismos, so I’d probably feint and try to bait a reaction. But I tend to be up close in this match-up generally anyway.

Awesome great information, I thought the idea would be to stay up close and personal. Thanks for the great thread and the quick response :slight_smile:

No prob! In all honesty, this thread was needed since people got majorly sick and tired of searching through the old thread. A lot of peeps were complaining so I did my best to gather the stuff and compile it.

One of the reasons why Viper wins this matchup is that any air based attack she chooses on her wake up beats Sakura. If Sakura goes for EX SRK on wake up an air LK burn kick will hit her out of it. There’s no aerial hit box for Sakura’s EX SRK so you can basically use it for free on Sakura’s wake up. EX SRK takes a long time to go through its full animation so it can’t really get her out of mix ups. It does start up fast but Sakura stays doesn’t really travel too far efore she even goes up in the air giving you all day to punish. If you see Sakura flying away with an EX SRK (if she is somehow able to do that in the first place) then if you meter you can just EX seismo her as she falls in the other direction or dash up and punish her.

Neutral jump HK is annoying but if you just block it won’t kill you. Viper can c.MK at a distance to beat s.HK or LP Thunder Knuckle under it. If she’s getting predictable you can go with EX seismo as well.

Gonna update the Sakura section later on with this new info and add some more stuff, thanks everyone!

Oh I need to throw in some information in regards to the Rose match up.

This is easily in Viper’s favor and the only thing that makes this match up difficult is the lack of familirity with fighting anyone that is really competent with Rose. There’s a few things you need to understand about Rose for this match up:
-She’s got a really fast dash that covers a good amount of ground like 2 quarters of the screen away and she can double dash and be right in your face. If you play the Seismo game incorrectly she can double dash and just toss you.
-Her throws do more damage than most other characters and has deceptively longer range than others. It’s very awkward at first because you feel that you have to make adjustments to your teching but you don’t. You just have to be aware that her throws have a more distance then other characters.
-She has really good poking capabilities as the majority of her normals have good range on them giving her a good footsie game against Viper. The main reason for this is that Viper’s normals have long start up frames though the majority of Roses normals have comparable long or longer start up frames as well. What gives her the edge from mid screen is the range it covers.
-Her normal game primarily consist of this:
-df+forward (slide) = 7 frames - This move covers good distance and shrinks her hit boxes considerably. This is her go to move to get under Viper’s Burn Kick game. It’s pretty bad up close and puts her at -3 on hit but if she spaces them correctly they are safe. It’s part of her mix up game as it hits low and puts her in optimal range for her throw. This move causes a lot of confusion at first in combination with her throw because the throw range is decieving.
-far s.RH = 9 frames - This is one of her better pokes from longer distances. It covers a lot of range and can act as an anti-air at the right distances. Due to it’s start up though she really has to through these out in anticipation to stuff out your offense.
-c.Strong = 4 frames - This is the equivalent to Viper’s c.Strong but hers comes out 1 frame faster then yours and is part of her rush down game similar to Viper’s rush down game.
-c.Forward = 7 frames - Equal to Viper’s c.foward but actually has proper hit boxes and covers more range then Viper’s. :confused:
-c.Fierce = 6 frames - This is her other anti-air option.
-She also has a 3 frame c.jab that is generally used to stuff Viper’s offense much like Rog but at least hers doesn’t combo into fucking headbutt->Ultra

The match up is really about understanding the range and maximizing punishes off of Rose’s attacks to take control of the footsie game. There’s a lot of things about her normals that can be disorienting allowing her to get an early advantage landing you into her rush down game. This is actually one of the matches where Rose will want to rush a character down due to Viper’s overall bad defensive options. The best strategy for this match up is stick to the ground and work Rose with your Feint mix up options up close. You can’t really do Burn Kick mix ups on Rose after a knockdown because she can auto correct her Soul Throw really easily and it will beat a lot of your BK mix ups. She can Soul Throw BK’s on reaction as well so don’t be careless with them. Only a BK on top of her head will beat it so either jump directly on top of her and do a late short BK or a super jump short kick directly on top of her head. If she blocks she can mash c.jab to stuff follow up options so it’s not something I want to using very often. Safe jump RH owns her and throw in some OS Strong Thunder Knuckle to stop her back dash attempts and force her to block your pressure game. You just have to be careful with OS TK when she does EX Soul Spiral. If you saje jump her Soul Throw you get a free FFF punish. You have to keep in mind her Soul Throw puts her on the opposite side of you so you have to walk forward to get FFF in. If you react too late then just c.forward into Strong Thunder Knuckle.

Her ground rush down game is very similar to Viper’s in that it’s mostly c.Strong to Soul Spiral. Soul Spiral up close is punishable with c.strong/forward into Thunder Knuckle. I feel that certain versions of Soul Spiral can be punished with FFF and I have nailed it once or twice but I’m not if it was just the other person trying to do something afterwards. This is where understanding the punishing distance is important because she can make Soul Spiral safe from about mid-to-max range off of c.Strong. This allows her to either block, back dash, or EX Soul Spiral to frame trap you. If you feel she’s going to back dash then Strong Thunder Knuckle to stuff her on her back dash. If she gets the maximum distance off of Soul Spiral she can go for the slide to throw you off course and go for a tick throw setup. Her oki game really just consists of her cross up jump forward, abusing her throw range, and neutral jump Fierce. Block the cross up and get ready to avoid a tick throw situation. She can’t really frame trap you like a shoto can but she can use the the slide to mix you up and reset you. It’s best to stay calm under these situations and not to mash on crouch tech too much. As she can try to frame trap into a Soul Spiral combo. If you are good at teching throws then you will have no problems dealing with her throw game, however, if you have troubles teching her throws (and they can be annoying at first) then when she goes for neutral jump Fierce it can be an annoyance as it leads you back into the tick throw game or if she hits you then you eat a soul spiral combo. If you feel Rose is abusing the throw game too much then EX Seismo or Short Burn Kick to just beat out the attempt and force her to play smarter. The neutral jump is really just to bait out a wake up crouch tech or EX Seismo and nail you on the way down. If you anticipate on the neutral jump just FTK->Ultra or FTK, FTK her.

Her Ultra is pretty garbage and she doesn’t get many chances to land it unless you whiff an Ultra, eat a Focus Attack or do a bad jump in attempt. You can try to bait the Ultra by safe jumping against her or do a super jump and Burn Kick just slightly above her head. If you jump and Rose does the Ultra to catch you from the air if you are above the scarf you can just BK and avoid it altogether. If you are below that scarf then hope you will land in time to block. If you block the Ultra at point blank range you can punish with c.Fierce, EX Seismo, SJC Burn Kick, Ultra or whatever rendition you want to use. If you are a little bit farther away then Seismo SJC Burn Kick Ultra/SJC FADC Trip or Ultra/etc…

With just some solid ground games and the occasional BK mix up Rose really doesn’t have anything on Viper.

^For the rose match up I find myself holding down-back a lot due to her weak mix-up. The main thing you have to watch for are slide/back dash/throw attempts and the occasional soul spark FADC cross up attempts.

Slide gimmicks: Block, Tech throw attempts, If they back dash a lot after slide dash towards her (this option surprises people a lot and often leads to a free knockdown)

Soul Spiral: Unsafe spiral block strings can be punished with ultra on reaction

Soul Spark: Easy to get around I mostly used jab TK, you can also elbow if you want

Wake up game: Rose has a weak wake up, just safe jump RH, strong, short, and jab will beat every wake up option she has for the most part. Her main tool to use on wake up is EX Soul Spiral, or Soul throw meaty grounded wake up options or safe jumps destroy her wake up game and force her to block on knock down making it much easier to handle her.

I neglected the fireball game since by now everyone should know how to deal with fireballs with Viper but yes standard things apply - Seismo, LP Thunder Knuckle, TK Burn Kicks, and Overhead. Smart Rose players shouldn’t be throwing out fireballs against Viper in general.

Oh, I should append one more thing to Rose’s Ultra. She does have that unblockable setup so it’s pretty imparitive you don’t get back thrown from mid screen but I think the best escape at that point is to back dash and eat the fireball. Viper’s back dash puts her off the ground so when she gets hit by a fireball the Ultra won’t connect.

Killey thats some good info you put up there. I always have trouble with characters i barely fight. One question. How do you safe jump? I watched cooscoos vids but i think you guys are refering to a different kind of safe jump.

Well it depends on the situation but safe jumps are only applicable after an untechable knockdown such as a throw, c.RH, or a far s.RH or if your opponent opts not to tech after a knockdown. Smarter players tend to not quick get up after every burn kick to throw off the timing of her mix up game. Anyways, as Cooscoos videos displays, you basically time your jump in a bit late so that if they do a reversal move that has some sort of invincibility frames to it, it will cause your attack to whiff but you will be able to land and block the attack before it connects all for a free punish. In Rose’s scenario she basically has EX Soul Spiral, Soul Throw, and Ultra to try and counter a jump in/burn kick attempt. All of these are punishable if you safe jump them.

I actually want to test something against unblockable setups and that’s EX Burn Kick. EX Burn Kick goes through fireballs and hits people clean when they attempt a fireball from a character space away on your wake up. However, they FADC the fireball for Ultra so you might end up in a trade of eating a couple hits from the Ultra or the full thing depending on the character. I can imagine it beating/trading with Ryu, avoiding Ken’s and Gouken’s, trade/beat or get beat by Sagats, and Rose. There’s no point in doing this against Seth since he does this from a safe distance and doesn’t burn meter for it.

this is gonna be my bible for the next 2 weeks. tourney coming up

Updated with the Rose and Sakura info, great stuff guys!

Don’t forget to put in the unblockable Ultra information in the Rose match up.