SRK Newbie Saikyo Dojo Execution Guide (read me!)

Not really. I regularly find really, really terrible Japanese people online.

Well, Starcade if what youā€™re saying is true it might be because most of the really good players might still be playing only in the arcades. Iā€™m sure there have to be some Japanese players at scrub levelā€“especially online. But I wouldnā€™t roll into any arcade in Japan and expect to run into a large number of scrubs.

Daigo is not human, man. Iā€™m sure that heā€™s like part android or something. But I give him major props for doing those vids. While most can only hope to one day match his machine like execution, it still is helpful for those totally new to the game to see a master at work.

The guide is helpful, everytime I begin to play street fighter I go into training mode and practice some combos. I can do it consistently in training mode but, when I go into a match I always mess up the combos that Iā€™ve had been practicing for days. Is there something Iā€™m doing wrong or should i explain more on what Iā€™m doing when i play.

Cancel into Supers

It could be just a matter of practice makes perfect, but Iā€™m having trouble canceling into supers on a stick for double input moves. I can do it, just not consistently. For example, Juriā€™s Pinwheel to Super (:qcb::k::qcb::k:), Ryuā€™s Hadoken to Super (:qcf::p::qcf::p:) or Shoryuken to Super (:dp::p::qcf::p:). Iā€™m struggling with the timing, and Iā€™m double tapping the same button if I want to do say :hp: DP to Super. Is that ok or should I be using negative edge (:qcf: hold :hp:, :qcf: let go of :hp:), which I can never ever get out (but I can double tappingā€¦sometimes). Basically does anyone have any tips or just practice practice practice? Great great thread btw, totally helped me level up my own game.

Edit: Found a partial answer here: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=237475&p=8937780#post8937780

I wasnā€™t sure where to ask this and I didnā€™t want to make a separate thread so Iā€™ll leave it here.

Iā€™ve always been curious as to why I hear people tapping buttons while blocking, it always seemed timed and not just mashing to catch people if they whiff their combos. Is there a reason for this? My worst problem is my defense(teching grabs, blocking crossups, etc). So Iā€™m open to whatever this might be.

I thought I saw it talked about somewhere in the Bison threads but I couldnā€™t find it again.

Anyways, if someone can redirect to me this topic or give me a little brief summary of what Iā€™m thinking of and how to do it, Iā€™d appreciate it.

I think the reason people do this is because even though your pressing buttons; block stun doesnā€™t allow the attack to go through. So, if the opponent is doing his/her block string correctly, youā€™ll remain in your block state through the whole string even if your pressing a button. If they happen to mess up, then you will punch them out of there combo.

I have been wondering how to execute a certain directional move that is required to do my characterā€™s move. In the command list it shows; Down Arrow/ Up Arrow + Fist. Sorry Iā€™m new and and I dont know how to stick in those handy dandy images.

How does it want me to input the Down Arrow/ Up Arrow. This is Dee Jayā€™s Machine gun Upper.

It also shows the same motions for things as his Air Slasher but with the arrows going opposite sides. How do input the motions for these arrows?

I donā€™t play DeeJay, but sounds like a charge motion :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s basically like Guileā€™s Flash Kick and Hondaā€™s Headbutt. Just try holding the down direction, then push the up direction followed by the punch button. Same thing for the other move. Just hold back to charge, then push forward plus the punch button.

Good read :tup:

I do need to practice my execution from both sides, it could be better :lol:

Helpful

ty, this was really helpful

I asked about this in another thread but I thought I?d mention it again here so that the answer may benefit more people. Regarding the points made about chains and cancels: ?It is important to know that in the SF4 series, you cannot cancel specials or supers out of a chain combo.? Does this mean for example I cannot as Ryu chain 2 cr.lp?s together and then cancel into a SRK but that I could chain the cr.lp?s and then LINK the SRK after the second crouching lp to get the whole thing to combo? What about linking a normal AFTER an initial chained attack? So for example can I CHAIN 2 crouching lp?s together, LINK the second light punch with a crouching mk and then CANCEL the crouching the mk into a hado for a full combo? The quote taken from the sticky reads as though you cannot cancel into a special if you start the combo with chained attacks and if this is not so I think it would be a good idea to reword it slightly. I?m not suggesting this just to be difficult, but misunderstanding this is causing me to make incorrect adjustments when combo training. How, you ask? Well using the latter combo as an example I?ve been practicing it by plinking the cr.mk and whenever I do a successful plink (ie the correct input is displayed) and get a cr.lk instead of a cr.mk AND the hado doesn?t come out I?ve been assuming that I had pressed the cr.lp?s too quickly in succession making it a CHAINED combo that I believed was the reason that the hado wasn?t coming out. To counter this I end up doing the cr.lp?s much slower thinking they HAVED to be linked in order for me to end the combo with a special which I believe is bad practice given I?ll be opening myself up for reversals against people that mash DP. Is it true that I can chain the cr.lp?s together by pressing them in real quick succession and then only need worry about timing the cr.mk as a link which can then be cancelled into a hado? An insight into this would greatly affect my training.

Awesome thread. Iā€™ve dabbled in fighting games since I was a kid, but Iā€™m just now diving into the scene. Iā€™ve got a LOT of work ahead of me, but so far Iā€™ve found quite a few people on the PSN who have completely destroyed me who are willing to set aside some time and teach me a few things.

Definitely underestimated the training modeā€¦ gonna dive into it today when I get back from work.

One qustion. What the heck is mash out? I was watching DPS and he keeps saying players ā€œmash outā€ mash out hidoken, mash out 360, mash out blah blah blah. He also talks about how alot of his move canā€™t come out online but Iā€™ve watched FREE1UP play online and most of his moves come out and I know the lag has to be the same most of the time.

correct. itā€™s cause the dragon punch also comes out in 3 frames (cr. lp gives a +5) so you can link the dp for the combo.

the first part is correct. you only have to link the last normal if you want to cancel into a special. you can chain previous normals if you want assuming theyā€™re chainable. you donā€™t need to link the whole combo only the last normal. thatā€™s how cr. lk-cr. lp, cr. mp>special works. you need to chain the cr. lk-cr. lp cause cr. lk doesnā€™t give enough frame advantage to link a cr. lp. as for the 2nd part youā€™re getting a lk even though youā€™re p-linking correctly cause your timing is way too early. since the cr. mk cannot be chained and the cr. lk can be chained the cr. lk comes out since your timing is too early.

Good thread, thanks

Question though. Iā€™ve been practising specials and I got the motions down and all but my timing seems to be off, consistently. From what I can tell of my input in training mode I always hit the punch/kick button too soon. When I do it on my keyboard it all works fine, I can hit those rekkaā€™s 10/10, but with the stick the timing is kinda off, is that normal that the timing is different? Could it be that the stick is slower than the buttons, reponse time-wise? I can adjust in training, cause I can take my time, but if I wanne throw it out in a live match, I want to do it as fast as possible.

This is what my input looks like most of the time:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9946/rekkakeken.jpg

Probably on a keyboard, you know that once your :r: finger [Iā€™m going to assume itā€™s your index finger?] hits the key assigned for :r:, you instinctively will hit the :p: during/after that happens which may give you more of a timing ā€˜thingyā€™. On a joystick, since your not keeping the punch button in time with your finger but rather your hand, that probably threw you off.

Am I making any sense? I feel I can be more clearer, however this morningā€¦words elude me ever so much.

Yeah I see what you mean, cause itā€™s all keys you make a ā€˜finger-drumā€™ motion. Iā€™ll have to find some kind of rhythm with the spinning motion I guess.

Iā€™m having a problem with FADC canceling do you dash while holding MP+MK or do u tap MP+MK then dash?

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for an excellent thread, I thought I was coming along nicely with my execution, but I now see I got a long way to go! Iā€™m off to turn on input display in training mode, and work on execution from my bad side.
Thanks again, itā€™s appreciated.