SRK Newbie Saikyo Dojo Execution Guide (read me!)

the input is :r: :d: :df:

You practice on the left side, that’s how you get better at doing it on the left side

and for the first part of my post?

Full motion

Firstly, down/forward, down/forward is not a valid command for a DP (you need a down in the middle). Check out the misconceptions thread.
http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=218447

Secondly, use both motions. They both have advantages in different situations. The shortcut is good for really deep anti airs and for any combos starting with a low attack.

And like everyone (and the guide) said, just go practice it from both sides. Just because you learn something on one side, doesn’t mean your execution will be flawless on the other. There is nothing to do about this but practice.

This is a freaking awesome introduction guide. I’ve had a lot more success with links lately, after realizing exactly HOW they work and what my timing should be. Thanks so much for writing this up.

In reference to the Dragon Punch input question: I came across this video quite some time ago that I thought was really interesting. The video is initially for SF4 and shows how a player using a Square Gate stick can use the forgiveness of the input system can be pretty forgiving and how players can use it to their advantage. (I assume this hasn’t changed for Super as well) Part of me is a little hesitant to send it out though, as I believe newer players should still really learn how to properly input DP motions without using alternate methods, but if nothing else the video shows some “Creative” solutions for how the input system in SF4 (and SSF4) works. Also note, this might not always work for characters like Adon, who have regular DP inputs and “reverse” DP inputs (Jaguar Kick and Rising Jaguar). I noticed this when I was goofing around with Adon, though I didn’t test it extensively so anyone else can feel free to refute or correct such claims.

[media=youtube]JLxLEMxzjqM[/media]

An additional video for how 360 inputs can be done as well.

[media=youtube]z3pJd6jFbws&feature=related[/media]

Hopefully it helps, if not, hopefully people learn what NOT to do. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dude, I’ve been scanning gameFAQs for a month and still didn’t learn a tenth as much as I did here.
Great read.

Very nice intro guide.
Especially nice as I’m getting back into SF. Even learned a few new things. (:slight_smile: )

How exactly do you double tap the buttons on your stick so you get a double input within a few frames(1-3). I can double tap with one finger manually but I think that that is too slow. I’ve been try to do the method where you like drum your ring then index finger on the button but it only registers as one input for me. Could it possibly be because of my buttons? I have a madcatz SE stick and i don’t have the funds to get sanwa parts. Would getting sanwa buttons help me double tap or do I just need to get better at my technique somehow?

After playing pad for 2 years, I’ve finally caved in and bought a stick (MvC2 tournament edition, didn’t even know those were still in circulation lol).

I’m just curious as to what exactly “riding the gate” means.

This is a great guide, helped me and i’ll be recommending it to a couple of ppl as a good starting point.

The main problem i have with combos is remembering the damn things, spec in the middle of being battered, so baby steps it is!

LMAO.

Good guide. Very insightful. I’m hoping within a few months I can actually get pretty decent.

I drum using my middle then my index.

Good deal on grabbing a stick, I think you’ll find it’s going to help a lot in the long run.

As for “Riding The Gate”, I suppose it helps to know what the “Gate” is. This is just based off my pretty basic understanding of things, but…

When people refer to a “Gate” on an Arcade Stick, they’re referring to a little restrictor plate inside the stick that determines the directions that a directional stick can freely move. These Gates come in Square and Octagoanal forms. I believe the MVC2 TE Stick is a Square Gate, just like the other MadCatz TE sticks (and the one I have).

So if you move the directional stick on your TE Stick, you’ll feel that the boundaries in which you can move the stick resemble a square, with four perfect corners to fit in. Octagonal gates don’t really have these Corners, but rather allow a little more of angular motion in the corners, which is great for people who play QCF/Fireball motion Characters (Ryu, Ken, Akuma, etc).

So when someone says “Riding the Gate” they just mean to move the stick perfectly along the boundary of the gate as you’re doing your motions.

Daigo demonstrates:
[media=youtube]ESQmqIBfaUg#t=6m58s[/media]

the gate is what restricts the motion of the stick. typically (always? w r to fightsticks) there are square, octagon and circle gates, the shape determining what positions are easiest to keep the stick in. they’re not a huge deal but a lot of people find specific gate shapes more comfortable and easier to play with. riding the gate is when you follow the outside of the range of motion for the joystick to do your motion (push it to the edge and keep it there).

it’s not entirely bad but it’s often unnecessary, and sometimes a hindrance. depending on your stick, you can do motions like hadoken inputs by just making a straight line from down to forward (passing through the throw [the area that upon entrance by the joystick is considered to have activated the input] to activate the down+forward input) instead of following a curve, and some motions are harder to do if you ride the gate when it’s a square gate.

edit: oh someone replied already

holy damn daigo does shinku hado motion fast.

Didn’t want to start a new thread so I’ll just post this here. What are the frame differences between a normal throw and a tech throw? It seems that a normal throw comes out so much quicker. Is there a hierachy for which throws have priority over other? I think I read somewhere that Abels TT can beat out zangief’s ultras?

Oh and while on the subject of throws, while training I found out that if I mash throw (lp+lk) while standig and blocking I can tech any throw attempt, but If I’m crouching I get thrown. Why is this? Thank you

Are you sure you mean Tech Throws? A Tech Throw is just a way to cancel your opponents throw, by initiating a throw of your own within a certain number of frames that your opponent’s throw was started. Basically, if your opponent inputs a throw, and you input your own throw within (I believe) 10 frames, you will Tech his throw and nothing happens.

It sounds like you’re really asking about Command Throws, which are throws that are initiated WITHOUT the normal LP+LK input (Abel’s TT, Zangief’s SPD, etc). I’m not completely sure if a Normal Throw will Beat out a Command Throw, but I do know that Command Throws ARE Un-Techable (can’t be stopped with a normal throw response).

Also, Command throws like Abel’s TT have their own unique priority, frames, ranges, etc. Even different versions of the throw (LP, MP, HP, EX) may have their own unique properties. (I believe one such example is Abel’s LP TT has the longest range out of the TT throws, but the least damage). I’m not sure that his TT will beat out Gief’s Ultra, since looking at the frames the TT has a startup of 5 frames and Gief’s Ultra has a startup of 1. That might be a question for the Abel forums specifically, but you can always check out the wiki and the characters under it for more information about frames and move properties: http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Super_Street_Fighter_IV

As for the second question, I think the easiest way to explain it would be to have you watch this video on Option Selects: [media=youtube]aHHoGHcgK9k&feature=related[/media]

some/all of abel’s command throws are throw invulnerable

Hey, it’s sure nice of Daigo to help his fellow country men level up. Lord knows they could use the training, so they can catch up to the rest of the world when it comes to Street Fighter. We all know how the Japanese rarely play fighting games.

lol so true. I wonder who his videos are actually aimed at? Old people? I’m sure a few of them are experts already. I’ve seen one of his video’s and he moves his hands so fast that its completely useless as a tutorial.