Sound or TV repeatedly turning on and off

Three different problems. Two different systems. May be related

The first time I tried my Wii U since I bought up a VGA CRT monitor I noticed the sound sometimes goes on and off. I see the tree set to a sound extractor from HDMI to toslink.

Now I know the Wii U doesn’t use toslink or carry Dolby or DTS through HDMI.

I have something called a stereo headphone adapter which plugs in the USB has to 3.5 mm holes, one for headphones, one for microphone. since I heard that Nintendo has great surround headphone processing that would be a way to add a headphone port to a switch so you could listen in surround headphone, and talk online. Maybe it will work for Wii U too. The 5 1 LPCM could give headphone surround. Maybe the Toslink converter messes up when it gets LPCM 5.1

also first time I tried my PS3 since I hooked up my VGA CRT TV and I noticed the VGA CRT TV randomly turns on and off and changes ratios and other weird stuff.

I heard that a lot of game streaming people have problems the PlayStation 3 cuz it encodes the video game signaling in a copy guard there for anything like a computer or recorder would scramble it. Maybe a CRT TV would too. if it doesn’t specifically except the handshake it reject sits and doesn’t allow the whole thing go through.

By the way is there a VGA adapter for the PlayStation 1 2 and 3? I would use a ypbpr to VGA except there’s about one frame ping time to process it.

Well I know that going from composite S-Video RF a components to VGA takes about a frame to convert.

I guess that means my basement will be use more often than just a light gun range.

Those are my theories just checking to see if it’s reasonable.

There is an official PS2 VGA cable, but it’s Sync on Green and your display has to support Sync on Green. All three consoles do support 15khz RGBs out and you have your choice of Scart or BNC connectors, most of theses are newer products and they range from poorly made and dirty cheap, to extremely well made, well shielded. https://retro-access.com/ , https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ ,
and https://insurrectionindustries.com/ all make high quality cables.

Unless the cable made as a PlayStation Universal cable, pay attention to the cable is for the PS1 or PS2 as they have two different specs and each system requires different components in said cable.
You also want to pay attention if they have a Gun Con RCA plug as well for Gun Con use. Make sure you cables ether have Luma as Sync, or Composite Sync CSYNC (CSync is the V and H sync lines combined and not to be confused with Composite video for sync). For the PS3, use PS2 or PS universal cables.

This again, stop it. There is no PING in video signals. Ping is a networking term for an application that measures how long to get a return response, and not a unit of latency. There would be ZERO Latency with a YPbPr to VGA or a 15Khz RGBs to VGA conversion as it’s all analog, there no frame buffer to account for the delay.

This is not true at all. You probably just have a shitty poorly made device

They never were.

You are talking about HDCP or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, is only exist in HDMI, Display Port, or DVI Digital signals. Analog formats don’t use HDCP.

There is ZERO Handshaking in Analog Formats.

Again you make up bull shit and repeated falsehoods.

Also stop making so many god-damned threads, you have several threads that already covers this topic.

I’m using an HDMI to VGA adapter, that 's why the VGA fritzes out every few seconds. If it doesn’t accept the handshake, it fritzes out the screen.

However, the HDMI to VGA adapters feels close enough to instant to not notice a delay.

I haven’t compared it back to back vs my PS3DTV directly, But it should be 1 to 2 frames quicker, because 31 ms is about 2 60 Hz frames.

What console(s) you are using that HDMI to VGA adapter on?
And if you know the Brand HDMI to VAG adapter? Cause they are hit or miss, the misses suck.

A new TV might be on the cards.

There a lot left out here as tripletopper has the very bad habit of making multiple threads for the same topic/question. tripletopper here is putting modern HDMI outputting consoles to a 4:3 CRT screen.
Thing is the PS4, Xbox One, The Switch as well as other Digital out only consoles (such as next Gen) are only intended to be used on a 16:9 HD display. Theres ways to get a quality picture to a CRT display, but the most solutions aren’t recommended as they aren’t cheap.

There is low cost, low latency HD displays to be had, especially if you don’t mind using a PC monitor instead of a HDTV. For example the Ben Q/ Zowie Monitors are a good budget choice.

But with any solution there going to be issues, especially if you are trying to go with a ALL-IN-ONE setup. tripletopper wants to do Light Gun games on top of everything else on a single display. You are going to have to make major sacrifices to make that happen. Me on the other hand with my personal set up sacrificed Light gun games, as honestly there not that many compelling Light Gun games out there in the first place.

Best of luck to him then. Although why this needed more than one thread is beyond me.

1 Like

That is the question we all been asking for a while.
Even with in the context of a single thread, the OP is hard to follow (there legit reasons for this but thats not the topic at hand).

2 Likes

I just started the simplest solution for everything before the HDMI just go downstairs to the giant CRT TV and play it as straight as possible through there with Y cables for streaming and recording.

Don’t guess about conversion time. and unless I see with my own eyes on a frame by frame video, just assume using the CRT TV for everything pre HDMI is good.

As for HDMI stuff I noticed that the current HDMI to VGA adapter I has either a 1 to 2 frame improvement over my PS3DTV. I would have to film them side by side and play it frame-by-frame to see how it is but I do notice an improvement over my 3D display.

Based on the input lag test an input lag website the Sony gets 31 milliseconds which is slightly less than two 60 Hertz frames of delay. If the CRT comes with two obvious frames before the Sony that I know I got close enough for everything on modern stuff which doesn’t use light gun games anyway. (At least not the same way)

That’s why I got two rooms a bedroom modern Networked gaming room and a retro basement.

Saving old computers from the past gives us computers to work with for streaming on obs. Just put the newer stuff with the HDMI stuff in the older stuff with the analog stuff.

As for converting other stuff to VGA for my upstairs monitor, Frankly I don’t care anymore. I know CRTs are sub microsecond delay, and make a straight path is possible to the TV with no equipment hooked up except maybe a powered splitter. That’s all you need.

Besides it was more inconvenient to run bunch of converters and power adapters and test for delay. I was just trying to turn on my inner geek. See if I could do it. Now I know it’s a crapshoot.

I noticed the PS3 does not work when the HDMI goes into an input capture card, so therefore the only way I could stream PS3 is via component.

If I plug the component cables in the PS3 and then plug in a red green blue 3 RCA to VGA and set the mode in RGB mode as opposed to ypbpr mode, what I get low ping full high-definition to 720p or 1080i of PS3 game footage without glitching the display.

Also I got a ypbpr to VGA adapter to test and see how latent the converter is.