Some interesting Julia stuff I haven't seen in tournaments

I’ve been trying to diversify my Julia play beyond crouch short and crouch forward into Tiger Strike footsies, the classic special step overhead and her great crossups into Red Orchid.

One of the things I’ve been having a lot of success with is Trickling Stream into Wind Roll into Tequila Sunrise. It’s one of the fastest low-high mixups I’ve found with Julia and you can hit confirm it. On block, it’s completely safe.

I’ve also kind of discovered Baiyuan Sanshou. I guess I was following Brady Guide’s lead and considering it just an easy combo into knockdown, but I never really gave it the time of day. It’s actually the perfect follow up from a Red Orchid Combo on hit. After Red Orchid, you Wind Roll and input the first two hits of Baiyuan Sanshou. You can then either cancel this into Rising Kick for more damage than any other reasonable meterless combo, or you can continue the Baiyuan into knockdown.

The Baiyuan knockdown is actually the perfect distance for a cross up. You take a fraction forward, and you land on the other side. Otherwise, you should land on the starting side. You sacrifice a bit of damage for a great setup. I think of it as the difference between Akuma’s bnb ending with a DP or a sweep.

Thoughts? Has this been discovered and rejected already? I’ve looked at some high-ranking Julias (-6, Combofiend) and they don’t seem to use it.

i like the trickling stream follow-up; you sure it’s safe? i can’t figure out the frame data for wind roll cancels. anyway, this should be in the combo thread.

Tequila Sunrise is not safe… only safe if the opponent blocks the 2nd hit. But the gap b/w the 1st and 2nd hit is so large, you will be punished before the 2nd.

Trickling Stream is completely safe, it’s +1 on block so you actually gain frame advantage. Obviously as soon as you Wind Roll they can mash DP or whatever reversal they have and it will tag you, but if they do that and you’ve stopped after Trickling Stream they’ll whiff and you can punish.

I’ll mention this in the combos thread and see what everyone thinks.

Yeah, I do know that. I should’ve made it clearer, when I said “It’s completely safe” I was specifically referring to the Trickling Stream. Ideally you’ll be able to hit-confirm the Trickling Stream and not go into Tequila Sunrise if your opponent is blocking. Thanks for clarifying!