Soki Combo Elements

There is a lot of good info out there and it’s spread around a lot of different threads, both in Soki’s forum and on the rest of the TvC board. I thought I should compile what I know so far, and what we all learn by contributing from here on out. If you have any questions, comments, additions, or anything else, please post up so we can figure out all the craziness.

I might compile a few of the combos that I’ve already capped into a longer video. Not a hardcore combo vid per se, but more so for easy reference.

trag YouTube channel

[ Jump In ]

So you have a few options for jumping in and starting combos. I use the same starter in basically all of my clips, and that is j.C -> IAD B. You can also j.C~B if you hit the C on the way up. It’s a bit trickier, and with practice, you really should be able to get the first starter pretty easy. Other than that, you can always jump C, air dash C (IAD is too low, so jump higher), or even just jump in with B. Up to you.

[ Loop Options ]

So there are 2 versions of both the Normal Mode Loop and the Oni Mode Loop - mid-screen and corner. They require a certain type of air hit to initiate, but once you get it going, it’s very simple to execute.

Mid-screen the loop is B3C, BC3C -> Air Combo (so only 2 reps)

In corner, it’s BC3C, B3C, B3C, B3CC -> Air Combo (4 reps).

Both combos can be rendered impossible if you add too many air hits before the loop attempt. Keep that in mind.

Although getting into the loop is trickier than than just launching, there are a few easy ways to do it. What must be done is that you need to get the opponent into a low-bouncing air state. You can’t simply launch and go right into the loop as the opponent will be too high. Even if you get them into the air, the 3C part of the loop will launch them out of range for the next B. In order to get this special low-bouncing state, you need an assist that will knock them into the air in a certain way, or you can hit them out of a stagger with an air attack.

• Baroque Method -

Example: DP+A (stagger), BRQ, jump B. This is the absolutely the most effective way to get into the loop.

[media=youtube]1a1XNCzHfik"[/media]

In this video, you can see (combo) -> DP+A -> BRQ, IAD B, land, B3C, BC3C -> air combo. You do NOT need to do the IAD B, but it’s stylish, so I did it anyway. If you are having trouble getting BRQ, 9B, land, B3C, try adjusting when you jump. You don’t have to do it super fast.

[media=youtube]Hz2ue7dk3Dg"[/media]

Here is the corner variation. Very simple as well. You can see 4 loops into air combo. No meter required, just a BRQ. Again, you don’t have to IAD B but it looks cool!

Here is another way to use BRQ to get into both midscreen and corner loops.

(NEW) [media=youtube]uPqrXe-GRsk"[/media]

This is pretty much the easiest method so far. Remember that you only get 2 loops if you do it midscreen.

Here’s method 3.

[media=youtube]O9LHbcTgHXg"[/media]

Another variation off 22C -> BRQ. Works pretty nicely and you have more than enough time to dash in and B3C. You can start with dash 3C if you want, but it’s much harder and inconsistent. I recommend just doing dash B3C, B3C… etc.

• Assist Method -

This one is pretty obvious. Call a multi-hitting assist to get them into the low-bouncing state and then proceed!

[media=youtube]ht7QXLksYts"[/media]

Here, Polimer comes in, Soki jumps 9 and does a falling B into the loop. Simple.

[media=youtube]WjjwULahlU4"[/media]

The only thing to notice in this combo is that I did not finish the loops with BC3C. Instead I used B3C. There is nothing special about that aside from forgetting to do the extra hit!

• Hop Kick Method -

If you don’t have BRQ or Assist, or you don’t want to use either, or you are going for massive style points, you can also perform the “hopkick” method. Basically, you DP+A to cause the stagger, and then you jump AB -> IAD B, land, B3C… etc. This method is extremely hard, but it’s super stylish and it doesn’t cost anything.

Example: (combo) -> DP+A, 9AB -> IAD B, land, B3C …

[media=youtube]yB_2o3Vf0lg"[/media]

Should be self-explanatory, however, you need to know that when you use this method, many times the opponent will cross under you during the first B3C. However, you MUST do the 3C in the direction you were ORIGINALLY facing, or you will get a 1C and fail to initiate the loop. Interesting little tidbit.

[media=youtube]cqH23AI4hHk"[/media]

There are a couple of things to notice here. The first is that the hopkick used is 8A and not 9A. Secondly, because the hopkick method uses 3 air hits to put them into the low-bouncing state, you are only able to get 3 reps of the loop instead of 4.

• Crash Method -

If you ever want to just waste meter for style points…

(NEW) [media=youtube]ldIQiP3g_j8"[/media]

This only works in the corner.

• Oni Mode Variations -

In Oni Mode, because of Absorb (P during ONI), Soki can perform 10 reps of the Loop. However, there is a special way to do it. The first 3 Loops are business as usual:

B3C, B3C, B3C…

… but from the 4th on, you must start using Absorb Cancel (B3C~P etc).

The entire sequence is:

(combo) -> DP+A -> BRQ, IAD B, land, BC3C, B3C, B3C, BC3C~P, B3C~P, B3C~P, B3C~P, B3C~P, B3C~P, BC3C -> aircombo.

[media=youtube]3uQJLrJHodI"[/media]

There are actually a couple of ways to get into the Oni Mode loop and I’ll probably cap the others. However, the combo listed here is the easiest to do. I’ll expand this section in the future, including ways to combo into the Oni Mode Loop from Normal Mode.

[ Combos ]

… I’ll enhance this section later. However, you should know your basic combos =D.

• General -

Pretty straightforward Soki combo. No Assist, No Meter, No BRQ.

[media=youtube]v82GhDY_a20"[/media]

• Freestyle -

This combo is pretty much the hardest combo I’ve captured to date (which isn’t saying too much). Basically 100% dmg on Ippatsuman. Only 2 meter’s used.

If you look closely, after the DP+A, you’ll see 9AB, then jump BACKWARDS, then instantly dash FORWARDS (wtf) B, land B into 2 loops. The final section into the 360 reset is harder because there are so many hits up to that point, the opponent falls at a crazy rate. Getting the timing on the grab was rough.

[media=youtube]8hc8rmS22r8"[/media]

• Rampage Trick -

The Rampage Trick is when you hit with the first part of 623+PP and the second hit whiffs, leaving the opponent staggered for a crazy amount of time. This stagger is NOT the same as 623A which means you can actually use both staggers in the same combo.

(NEW) [media=youtube]dZTFkX7oRtE"[/media]

• Touch of Doom -

Touch of Doom is a term influenced by Toe Kick of Doom in Virtua Fighter (Jeffery Technique). In VF, the Toe Kick hits from super max range and then Jeffery warps in for the follow up. I found that idea consistent with Soki when doing 6C~A+B because you can hit from 4/5’s screen and continue a combo using BRQ. The trick to “ToD” is using Baroque to cancel the Issen, and then jumping away from the opponent and hitting with j.B, canceling into IAD B and landing. This actually sets up the loop options.

Example: 6C~B+C -> BRQ, 7B -> IAD B, land, B3C…

[media=youtube]BDWpHFrzAFg"[/media]

The first combo shows 4/5th screen reach into a pretty cool follow-up!

[media=youtube]Ok-aNXAEFns"[/media]

Here’s a 4/5th screen ToD into VAR into Polimar reset. Nice dmg!?

[media=youtube]ba4QnB1LLdM"[/media]

This version shows a combo into ToD. It also does 100% on poor Joe the Condor =(.

(NEW) [media=youtube]-T33ctbw0So"[/media]

Well, it has armor… it wall bounces… and you can continue the combo after a ToD. YEA!

(NEW) [media=youtube]gjPWZwmYeX8"[/media]

Just to see if I could do it. Will add super onto the end later… but I felt this one was cool to end with the final Issen!

• Silly -

Here’s the spot to showcase random stuff!

[media=youtube]6iVS_nGHKPY"[/media]

I don’t recommend trying this in a real match, however, this combo serves an interesting purpose. You can see how Soki is DHC’ed in and juggles with the first part of his 236PP, however, Polimar is DHC’ed back in after Soki’s super does its last upwards hit. This prevents the opponent from teching out and allows Poli to come back in and finish up!

Here’s another ridiculous combo!

(NEW) [media=youtube]ImMeJ7il8Do"[/media]

Yea… who knows.

… more to come!

your a winner man, I love you

Noob question coming:

What’s IAD?

Also, for the generic non-BRQ non-assist combo, is there a reason for why you did AB3C and not ABC3C? Does including the C in there mess up the air combo?

Also, *****ing awesome guide!

Instant Air Dash. I usually hit 7 (up/forward) then A+B+C unless otherwise specified.

As for the other combo, the 3C will not hit if you add the C first. I tried that first cause I wanted the extra dmg =(.

Awesome stuff, shame Blade’s assist is terrible for this (though actually, I found that if you use his assist right when you start 6C at any time of a combo, then chain, Blade will do his AA and knock them up, behind you. Ive only been able to follow up once with it with 5C, timing from what I can tell is pretty strict, but it could be just because Im not used to it yet…at any rate…a use for this poor assist, hooray)

This stuff looks incredibly stylish…and pretty difficult for my slow fingers XD, but once I get the IAD B thing down, Im sure its easy enough (IAD cancels the anaimation of the jC right?) and it all definetly looks stylish…Soki doing that sorta damage like that is pretty insane, cant wait to practice this stuff for my first tourney coming soon. Tyvm trag

Practice this jump-in version:

7C~7,B

Basically, up/foward+C (make sure it hits on the way up), cancel with another up/foward, and immediately press B. You can do the same double-hit starter without requiring the IAD. Makes it easier to practice combos. If you want to cap them for style later, you can do the IAD version… doesn’t matter!

very good stuff. I notice though that you never end any of your corner air combos in 5C. I haven’t tried to do any of these combos yet so I’m not sure if it’s even possible to end any of these corner combos in 5C. So is it possible? if so, team cassh/soki would be even more ridiculous

Just standard 5C on the ground? Or in the air?

On the ground, there’s almost always more to do if you could connect a C, however, I found that after enough hits and/or depending on number of prior hits, stand C won’t connect off certain things. If you can give me an example of what you are looking for, I can try it out!

The problem with sj.C is that after you accumulate enough hits, sj.BC or sj.BBC no longer connect. I’d absolutely love to finish with sj.C because of the large amount of extra damage, but it just whiffs =/.

Curious on whether you can start the loop off of Tekka’s assist. Depending on the timing you can grab them pretty low to the ground after an Issen, and I’m pretty sure you have enough time to IAD B. I’ll try it when I get home.

If you are able to get a 6C~A+B after the assist, you should almost always be able to hit with ToD into B3C. However, depending on how many hits prior, you may be able to get the followup BC3C -> aircombo.

As for just knocking them up into the assist from an Issen, you may be unable to connect the loop due to the extra amount of air hits. Something to try. If you don’t have too many hits, you should be able to get the second B to connect after B3C launches. Let me know what you find.

I can’t figure out if he can do it after a Tekka assist because I can’t really do it at all. :shake:

[media=youtube]Rp6m2hSbM2c[/media]

I did get around to making a video of a combo I mentioned in the other thread, though. I usually wouldn’t end it with a super but when I’m recording there’s mad input lag and I didn’t feel like fiddling with air combos.

When you do the 236 Super off an Issen, you can’t DHC into MAKE IT RAIN unfortunately, but you can DHC into Tekka’s 236 Super. So if you have a dumb amount of meter to spend you can do:

Iseen, 236 Super, DHC Tekka 236 Super, DHC Soki 236 Super, DHC Tekka 623 Super.

lol

That’s a really interesting use of Soki’s 623AB super with the Tekka assist. Definite combo material stuff. Have you tried doing 623C XX 623AB to get the same result without an assist? Is it possible to get the L2 super? I’ll give it a try tonight.

As for your question about getting the loop off the assist, I really don’t see why not. When I get home tonight I’ll look into it. Keep it up with the crazy discoveries!

Definitely won’t work without the assist mid-screen, the wallbounce leaves him nowhere near you. Maybe if you BBQ and wavedash you can get there in time, but even then I doubt it. Might work in the corner.

That is the L2 version of that super. The L1 just knocks them away because it’s a wallbounce following a wallbounce. I’ve tried dozens of different assist timings and methods to try to land L3, but I can’t get it at all.

Edit-
With Polimar assist you can do it in the corner, but it’s really timing and spacing specific. Seems almost useless.

Edit 2-
This just in!
[media=youtube]0fDJ2Yodyvc[/media]
Not at all spacing dependent, with pretty lax timing.
You can also do it while juggling after 623A, but they’re left in a stagger state instead of a standing state. So when you hit them they pop up again.

I meant sj.C, sorry about that. But damn that sucks, so even if you omit some of the sj hits theres no way to end in sj.C? because it would be really useful in the corner

Your new vid is great. Opens up some interesting possibilities. I’ll try to build off that tonight and put up some vids in the first post. Great find… and that’s my team too!!!

In regards to the 623A+B (L2), I know there is a way to combo off it without BRQ or assist, but it is INCREDIBLY spacing dependent. I believe I found a way to combo 5 Issen in one combo but the requirements would be insane… and trying to capture something like that while setting up the position each time you fail would be excruciating.

For example, from the right range, you can actually get: 6C~A+B -> 623A+B (L1), AB6C~A+B…

My idea for 5 Issen was my original combo that I capped (triple issen) into 623A+B (L1), 6C~A+B -> 623A+B~A+B (for 2 more Issen). However, there are so many things wrong with that combo. Trying to get the right spacing after Triple Issen to allow stand A to juggle after the wall bounce is the first massive problem. The second problem is even getting the 623A+B to hit in the correct direction. Because the opponent is kind-of high in the air after the third Issen, they almost ALWAYS bounce over your head, no matter how fast your timing is on the super.

I could probably program it into a Hori Command PS stick to test… but I prefer doing all my combos by hand… and I have no idea where my stick is anyway lol.

Hitage: You can omit hits to get the sj.C but if you are going for raw damage, don’t bother. The additional launch hits make up for the damage you lose from not getting the finisher. The main problem there, though, is the loss of the slamdown =(.

Check up top. New Rampage Trick combo added. Woo =D.

I’ve also managed to do the same thing off of Issen with Tekkaman assist, problem is the timing is easily 10x stricter. I’ll try to nail down the exact timing and get it on video tomorrow.

I was getting it maybe 1/5 by doing 6C, B+C~P

Added two more loop methods. One from crash, and one from a super easy BRQ off 2C (this is probably the easiest way to get loops going in corner or midscreen). Also added a silly combo that uses both methods. Check it out!

Thank you for this, super useful!

Good shit trag. Just like the gamecombos days lol…