"So you think you can dance?" Dee Jay Match-up Thread

I’m going to do my best to keep all of Dee Jay’s match ups compiled in this thread, with dates posted, and updated as much as possible. Please post all Dee Jay match up material in this thread, and I’ll update the first (and maybe 2nd) post as need be.

Match Ups Sorted Alphabetically:

Abel

Spoiler

Update soon

Adon

Spoiler

Update soon

Akuma

Spoiler

Update soon

Balrog

Spoiler

Update soon

Blanka

Spoiler

Update soon

Cammy

[details=Spoiler]As of 4/26/10:

From BlackAlpha:

• Don’t fall for that dive kick crap on wakeup, you can EX upkick that all day for free.

• Good cammy’s are gonna be applying a lot of pressure so you really need to watch and block in down charge and when you see them do a string into another dive kick that’s when you EX upkick.

• Just like balrog, just crouch the hooligans and either Cr Fierce it or EX up kick.

• U2 is real good in this fight.[/details]

Chun Li

Spoiler

Update soon

Cody

[details=Spoiler]As of 4/22/10:

From TuboWare:

You want to stay in on Cody as much as possible. Cody’s rock throw can give Dee Jay’s fire ball game trouble, and since Cody doesn’t have many options on wakeup, the cross-up game is very effective on him. Keep knocking Cody down, and use cross ups effectively. Never let the pressure up on him because as soon as you do, you’re fighting to get back inside through Cody’s rock throw shenanigans.

From C 3:

• very even match up so far. could go either way.

• be very careful of throwing out moves on cody when he’s moving towards you, he could be charging a bingo (good shit Raynex.)

• If he has U2, DO NOT THROW MAX OUTS. His dash forward U2 wil most likely hit you. I knocked a cody down and did a meaty lp max out mid range for chip. He got up and did a reversal U2 long after the fireball was past him and it still hit. That was partially me, but even then, I would suggest getting in his face and pressuring him when he has U2: the main way for him to use it is now gone and he can’t combo into it incredibly easily. If you force them to switch to U1, it’ll be a lot easier. Bingo is jab punishable, so go to town if he does it unsafely on your block.

From BlackAlpha:

• He’s got no wakeup game. If you get knock down start crossing his ass up and keep him in that range with forward throw and cr. forward.

• His new charge move is pretty good, it goes through fireballs. If you see him doing nothing 3/4 of the screen away and he’s walking forward, throw out jabs or other fast normals to bait it cause that shit has deceptive range.

• EX upkicks are great in this fight. If he’s trying to cross you up on wakeup just time the kicks and auto correct it. Knocks him back on the other side of the screen and then you get to zone him again with max outs.

• The way I see this fight working is to zone, score a knockdown, ambiguous crossups, and then get an EX MGU into EX dread combo or just an EX dread combo to knock him back on the other side of the screen once you have a big life lead.

Best Pokes to use against Cody: ???

Best Normal move anti air: ??? [/details]

C. Viper

Spoiler

Update soon

Dan

Spoiler

Update soon

Dee Jay

Spoiler

Update soon

Dudley

From thxyoutoo:

Dudley

• Max Out (Sonic Boom) traps are gdlk in this match up
  • You can grab him if he command dashes through sonic booms
  • Slide/Anti-air him if he jumps
  • St. RH is a great max distance poke since dudley’s pokes aren’t very long!

Best Pokes: St. MK, St HK, Cr. MK

Best Anti Air Normals: Cr. HK [/details]

Dhalsim

From Aleri_XV:

this is a fight that i feel is in dee jays favor

U2 on any limb will activate full ultra, jab slasher is nice in this fight allowing for distance closing, on knockdown dhalsim really has a tough time, with the small jump and cr.forward being a knockdown dhalsim could pay for a wrong guess pretty bad, teleport punish with st.rh, ex mgu any limb will get a knockdown.
and the biggest factor here i think is ex sobalt, at medium range it really will force them to change the way most dhalsim players like to play, half screen distance away dee jay can punish a blocked cr.fierce with ex sobalt, same with blocked jump fierce, ex sobalt is fast as hell so a big fireball punish.
as long as the knockdown is achieved keep momentum and dont let him get away haha still basic dhalsim fight

As of 4/25/10:

From Eltwopee:

vs Dhalism - this fight is 6-4 in dhalsims favor.

I played with filipino champ last night in about 30+ sets.

Dee Jay cant throw fireballs in a certain space because sim can fierce punch under and hit.
Dee Jay cant jump over yogas or slide under.
EX sobat is only good thru yoga fires if Dhalsim has bad spacing.
Ultra 2 beats Sim’s fierce punch
When Dee Jay gets combo oppurtunity… it is best to combo into EX machine gun and try to juggle into EX sobat. It does a lot of damage to sim.
Sim has a hard time dealing with Dee Jay’s crossups on wake up. Abuse this.
Drills can be upkicked on reaction.
Standing Fierce Punch hits jump back fierce, you can juggle on counter hit
Dee Jays Focus Crumples Fierce punch easy if timed quickly
Jump back fierce overhead by sim can be punished with EX sobat. (shitty Damage if max range)

Overall Sim can zone Dee Jay out really well, if the sim is good, Dee Jay will be unable to throw max outs or ex sobat thru yoga fires.[/details]

E. Honda

Spoiler

Update soon

El Fuerte

Spoiler

Update soon

Fei Long

Spoiler

Update soon

Gen

Spoiler

Update soon

Gouken

Spoiler

Update soon

Guile

Spoiler

Update soon

Guy

Spoiler

Update soon

Hakan

Spoiler

Update soon

Juri

Spoiler

Update soon

Ken

Spoiler

Update soon

M. Bison

Spoiler

Update soon

Makoto

From thxyoutoo:

Just spent about 60 games vs 200 yen’s Makoto and it seems to be like 5.5:4.5 or 6:4 in favor for Dee Jay. The reason being is Makoto has a really hard time against the fireball game and has a bit of trouble getting in. However, Dee Jay is a charger and therefore his fireball zoning lends itself to more flaws and the inevitability of cornering oneself. The match is definitely in favor of Dee Jay when he has space but once Makoto is in she has a slight advantage due to Dee Jay’s less than stellar reversals.

• Makoto has to tech throws. Her moves will get grabbed upon her wake up. I was doing a little trick where on knockdown I wouldn’t vortex her but rather threw a Max Out (Sonic Boom) so it would pass over her as she woke up and then I did mix ups involving various throw setups.
  • Makoto’s Wall Dive Ultra makes it so you can’t throw Max Outs anymore. I ran into a problem in which I would throw out a fireball and Makoto would just build meter. I solved this by Throwing a sonic boom, seeing that she would absorb it to build ultra meter, and I then ex. straight kick’d to punish. This worked pretty well with consistency.
  • Makoto’s best anti air is ex.overhead. When she has no meter it’s pretty safe to jump in. Her dragon punch can consistently beat our ambiguous cross up. In the event that the opponent is doing this, just don’t do an ambiguous cross up and her dragon punch misses.

From exploid:

Slide stuffs all jumpins, even the axe kick. She basicly cant ever jump over fireballs.
If she tries to focus absorb the fireball, and dash forward, she will hit the next fireball because of her sick dash range.
You can punish blocked non-ex hayates with ultra 2 easy.
EX upkicks makes makoto ask why she even bothered to jump in the firstplace. Stuffs everything, and pretty much autocorrect itself every single time if she tries meaty crossup. LK upkicks also work

She has limited anti air, but if you time your meaty jumpins wrong, she can fukiage(her vertical punch) and followup with whatever she wants for good damage.
She can use EX commandgrab as an antiair, it absorbs 1 hit. Kinda works like abel EX tornadothrow antiair.

Deejays fireball is to fast for makoto to use ultra 2 on reaction. [/details]

Rose

Spoiler

Update soon

Rufus

Spoiler

Update soon

Ryu

From Louie:

• If you zone him right, you can punish his fireballs on reaction with slide. You’ll slide under the hadouken and sweep him. that way you can make him scared of throwing fireballs in a specific range. I guess it works like in ST with booms, you cant slide under unless you hit him ofc.
  • Slide under hadoukens and punish (or just slide under from full screen and keep your charge and do whatever)
  • EX-sobat through hadoukens, it actually has great range!
  • LK-sobot as poke from correct range, terrific since it goes over Ryus cr.mk! And Ryu uses quite some cr.mks in his game
  • vs. Ryu’s cr.mks im still not certain but at max range you can cr.mk him back and outpoke him. I also atleast traded with his cr.mk with st.mk once, so that might work aswell.
    -Slide under Hadoken at a distance, and keep your back charge to punish the next hadoken with EX-Sobat.
    [/details]

Sagat

-Slide under high Tiger Shot, and LK Dread Kick over low Tiger Shots.

• [/details]

Sakura

Spoiler

Update soon

Seth

Spoiler

Update soon

T. Hawk

From C 3:

• lk dread kick through his low pokes

• lk up kick through his hawk dive/condore spire

• if you do a string into his block and jump back, his HP DP has whiffed on multiple occasions

• his hawk dive can be punised by reversal (instert special move here minus MGU.) If you do dread kicks, by the time you hit him he lands and it hits for full.

From BlackAlpha:

• If he jumps in at you and you Ultra 2, he can condor dive after the ultra freeze and it beats out DJ’s ultra. So you either gotta do it when he dives, or use Ultra 1 for that fight and block the dive, punish with ultra 1. it’ll work every time.

• his non EX shoryuken is pretty garbage, so crossing him up when he has no meter is free. just make sure you are doing the hits deep or he’s gonna reversal SPD after a J. Forward.

• gotta watch out for the EX condor spire now, that shit has incredible range and it goes through fireballs. [/details]

Vega

Spoiler

Update soon

Zangief

Spoiler

Update soon

(Reserved)

Change title to ’ So You Think You Can Dance - Dee Jay Matchup Thread’

For epicness

I’d rather it say "Don’t Sweat the Technique." Gives homage to a good beat, and it works for the thread.

how about “Time to Mash UP the Riddem.” It’s a phrase a lot of reggae/ dance hall artists use to describe how they tear up beats which they call “Riddems”

Oh well, I’m liking it already. 16 days left, and I’m still mad hyped.

Lets start thinking about matchups, no point going in blind. There’s got to be something we can use to hit this shit running on the 27th.

I will be doing a full analysis of dee jay vs. certain characters starting a week or so after the game comes out (what normals beat their normals, special moves, AA options, etc.). I’m starting with ryu. I’ll probably be done a couple weeks after that.

I haven’t kept this signature for months for nothing…

LOL, just for you Bry, I will do that. Dont Sweat the Technique is great too though.

<.<; I can’t compete with that, lol.

You think we could just carry that into the Video thread? Its got no title and I really like how both of these fit for DJ.

Thats a good way to do it, get that more extensive data and come back with your findings.

Another thing we can do is look at something as recent as HD Remix Deejay and study some of her better and worse matchups and analyze whether or not they’ve changed.

As far as the 3S characters, they’re all rough speculation. But I don’t imagine he’d fare incredibly well against those three.

LOL thats where I got the title from, I just didn’t remember which member had it in their signature :stuck_out_tongue:

YESSSSSSSSS. VINDICATED… I love “Don’t Sweat the Beat”, too. I second naming the video thread that.

A+ matchup discussion so far, haha.

Agreed.

I have a release tournament the saturday before release, I will b glad to post how I think the matchups feel, if anybody is interested that is.

Awesome. Good shit so far guys. As I said, I’ll be working on my own opinions of matchups with Dee Jay as well as working on all of the things that go with matchups for him, but please post all your findings are I will update the first two posts accordingly.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with C 3.

In order to speed up the process and get a head start. Each of us should pick 2 or 3 characters to focus on and analyze the matchups against Dee Jay and compile our info that way.

i was playing my friend’s very legit viper in a long set, and I liked how deejay could control space. Auto-correct EX upkicks works very well against burn kicks in the same fashion sumo splash does, so i can see this being a favorable matchup for deejay. His j.RH comes out very fast and is a good air to air against viper shenanigans as well. c.RH is a legit antiair, it was working against everything except honda’s j.mp (which traded with it).

Here is a few things I’ve had experience with

Cody

• Cody does not have any god wake up game so upon knockdown feel free to do mix ups and vortex
  • Cody players like to spam attacks fearlessly when they have the knife since they get chip damage. Let them do it a few times and bait it out and use ex. rolling sobat

Sagat

• You Can slide under high tiger shots but can’t slide under low tiger shots.
  • Sagat is the only fireball character you will lose the fireball war to due to low tiger shots
  • You have no real answer to tiger knee

Guy

• Short Jackknife Max (Flash Kick) is actually very reliable in anti-airing his demon flip mix ups (this is a rare occasion have anything but the ex version be useful)
  • Jump Back Roundhouse seems to sometimes be gdlk while other time you will just get air grabbed for free
  • You can Reversal ultra II his grab ultra (not sure which Ultra it is)

Gouken

• Dee Jay can win the fireball war pretty free
  • If you notice Gouken charging a fireball you can pretty much on reaction ex. rolling sobat and tag him (it’s pretty fast).
  • Be aware of his parry counter when doing vortex

Dudley

• Max Out (Sonic Boom) traps are gdlk in this match up
  • You can grab him if he command dashes through sonic booms
  • Slide/Anti-air him if he jumps
  • St. RH is a great max distance poke since dudley’s pokes aren’t very long!

Good shit thxyoutoo. Soon as we start getting more info I’ll begin updating the first post.

AWWWWRIGHTT! Can’t wait to start playing deejay. He was my main in ST and he’s looking solid right now. My friend plays a very good bison so I’ll post the findings on that matchup. Also I play casuals every Saturday with very high level competition and everyone plays someone different so I’ll try to report back with sagat, honda, gen, ken, abel, dhalsim, and rufus matchups.

Also, is slide safe on block from anywhere or is it distance dependent?