So what, specifically, is dream cancelling and how does it worK?

I noticed in some combo videos a “dream cancel” where the person will instantly recover from a move/super and goes into another one. So it’s like FADCing in AE? Does it cost an entire super meter? And what are the inputs for it?

The second question I have is, and all characters were doing this, they get a glow about them as if it were a power up of some kind.

These questions are in reference to the combo video shown by the series producer.

Thank you, and I apologize for redundancy. And, of course, please lock this thread and guide me to the appropriate one if it is.

BONUS QUESTION: Is there a video of BnB combos for characters? The only combo videos I’ve seen are five meter showy ones.

Ah, actually, that’s called drive canceling in KoF XIII. In King of Fighters XIII, you have two meters. One is a green bar called your drive meter and the orange one is your stock meter.

Your drive meter has a limit of 2 stocks. By using one stock, you can cancel the animation of one special attack to do another special attack afterwards. If you’ve played GG, it’s a similar idea to “Roman Cancelling”. In XIII, there are specific rules you need to remember for drive canceling (DC for short).
[LIST]
[]You cannot DC the same move. For example, you cannot do a dragon punch into another dragon punch as a DC. It doesn’t work.
[
]EXCEPTION: You CAN DC a regular special move into an EX version of the same move. For example, you can DC K’s Crow Bites into his EX Crow Bites (DP+P -> DP +AC).
[]You can not DC an EX move into a regular move. You have to go up the scale. (Light fireball into EX fireballl = Good! ; EX Fireball into Light fireball = Bad!)
[
]It takes 1 drive meter to DC a move into another move. There’s also windows in ever move that allow you to DC. Some moves will not allow you to DC until that time has passed
[]The same process applies to Super Cancelling. If a move has the SC property, you can super cancel from any attack into that move as long as you meet the normal requirements. Kyo’s Oniyaki (DP) into Orichinagi [Air] (qcb, hcf+P) is a good example of a super cancel.
[
]When you reach 2 bars, you can press light kick and heavy punch (BC) to activate Hyper Drive mode (HD mode for short).
[]You cannot DC if your move is blocked
[
]You CAN super cancel if your move is blocked or whiffed.
[/LIST]
HD mode is similar to A groove in CvS2 or V-ism in Street Fighter Alpha. In HD mode, the bar and the character will glow and it’ll go down by a percentage each second. While in this mode, you can DC for 10% of that meter. This allows some characters to do loops. For K’, you can do dp+A (crow bites), HD cancel into Minute spikes, whiff the follow up called Narrow Spike, and do a DP+A again to continue to juggle your opponent. You can’t do it forever and unlike A groove, it still follows the same rules as DC with a few exceptions.

[LIST]
[]In HD mode, you can DC on block. This means even if blocked, your moves can still be cancelled.
[
]Almost all normals will link with special moves in HD mode, even far moves can be chained together or super cancel.
[]Max Cancel is now available. This allows you to cancel your Desperation Move (another way for calling a super move) into your Neomax (Kinda like an Ultra in SSFIV).
[
]In HD mode, a Neomax will cost 1 bar less. So the total requirement is the rest of your HD bar and two stock meter.
[*]Pro tip: Even if there’s just 1% left in the HD bar, if you’re in HD mode, you can still Neomax. Out of HD mode, it would cost 2 stocks of drive meter and 3 stock meter exactly.
[/LIST]
Hope this helped! Also note that you can probably find all of this info in the Hyper Guide written on SRK or on dreamcancel.com’s Wiki. If you want basic to advanced combos, check out the Don’t Drop That Combo videos on youtube. They have practically every character in KoF XIII on it. Some of the combos might not link as well in Console and some might have new combos altogether, but it’s still a GREAT reference

Pretty much what Reiki.Kito said, but I’d like to point out that all these answers could have indeed been answered by looking at the KOFXIII wiki, here’s the link:
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_King_of_Fighters_XIII

I’m going to disagree with Reiki about checking out Don’t Drop That Combo, we over at the #SNKPlaymore IRC channel often jokingly call it ‘Don’t Do That Combo’. There’s a huge amount of suboptimal and redundant combos. The videos claim to be tutorials, but then show about 50 combos of which just under 10 are actually worth doing. They’re combo videos, plain and simple.

There are combo transcripts on the wiki as well, but note that the console version isn’t actually out yet and combos are bound to change quite a lot. Once the game is released, people are bound to start doing some combo tutorial videos.

Doing 5 Orochonagi’s will always be what’s up. DDTC for life!

Thank you all for the reply. So DCing is, to an extent, like FADCing except you can’t use it if an opponent blocked the attack? So really it works entirely as a combo extender in KoF.

I have to say, I’m looking at the wiki and I understand NEO Max is like Alpha 3’s V-ism (or Geinejin) with the cost of both meters, but even so it’s still a complicated mess of information. I think it’ll subside once I get the game into my hands and start applying it and seeing the exact gauges and processes it’s trying to explain.

Cheers to this Tuesday, you all.

Quoting from the wiki:

So no, it is nothing like Alpha 3’s V-ism (or Gen’eijin), it’s just a super.

Even if you don’t like DDTC, which is understandable, I don’t see anyone doing a compilation of the many combos you can do. Let someone decide if the combo is worth doing or not, atleast they can see it being done. And another thing, I can’t see any reason to backhand a person for putting much needed hype for the game on the net when no one was doing it. No arcade sponsorship, no dedicated fanbase, nothing. So whether you think it’s “Don’t do that combo” or whatever, they made a contribution to the community worth noting and I’m GOING to reference them as long as it’s relevant.

They made a contribution but it’s a pretty shitty contribution. Contributing but not doing it in a smart or useful way is just as bad if not worse than contributiing nothing.

I’m not gonna derail the thread any further with this tirade. If you’d like to further discuss it or have me remove the videos from the threads I’ve posted, send me a PM. Otherwise, I’ll continue.