So, it seems next KOF is going DOA

Doesn’t look good. Most 3d doesn’t compared to 2d, but even amongst 3d these early screenshots are not impressive.

Companies can work on more than 1 game at once. Maybe SNK is working on both a Pachislot and Fighting Game.

They said KOF XII was going to be “The Ultimate Fighting Game”… I have a bad feeling about this :S

>Combos more like 98

Already better than XIII

I liked EX moves and the Drive Cancel system. If you put this but leave the HyperDrive MAX mode, things could be very cool.

Drive Cancel system could be neat if they took away HD and made the bar into 3 segments and induce a reasonable damage modifier per use of Drive in a single combo (that is to say more proration with each addition drive in a combo to add diminishing returns and add to meter management.) I’d also like to see that if Drive is full, you could Activate it like 98 rather than like 02 and just give the character a strength boost and access to NeoMax and a “T.O.P.-like” move or something. You wouldn’t be able to Drive anymore, but you get an alternative set of options that you decide between extending simple bnbs or getting more overall damage and attacks.

But overall, I don’t like the Drive Cancel system and EXs in the sense it adds to the damage disparity and rewards characters that could juggle efficiently with minimal resources while hurting characters that couldn’t. I’d rather see a return to 98 style system where “everything” did enough damage and the disparity between singular, spacing hits is close enough to combos. EXs could remain but it should in the sense that it adds to spacing “utility” rather than juggling and combo utility.

I was thinking since the damage disparity is kinda big between singular, spacing hits and extended combos, that perhaps they should buff normal anti-airs by making them have smaller hurtboxes and have better collision boxes, so that they could work properly; but not only that, but cause a free juggle state on counter hit. Kind of like how in Melty Blood, a character’s anti-air 5A might not net damage or may not be worth the risk considering how much it nets; but on counter hit, it allows a character to run up and do a simple juggle and combo to make the risk worth taking and extends the worth of effective spacing by making it worth the conversion. So I was thinking if a st.A or cr.C or such should get a juggle state off counter hit to mitigate the risk of going for an anti-air and allowing the game to center around bigger combos without hurting the spacing game. The issue comes again to certain character just have better tools to juggle and efficiently convert with minimal meter so there is still disparity between character tools and the ability to convert. Nevertheless, just making anti-air normals work better and allowing juggle states for counter hit, grounded, anti-air normals could move XIII into the right direction while still maintain its core that people seem to like.

I digress since XIII won’t change in that direction and the new KOF game seems to be going into a different direction entirely. I hope that the new game goes backs to the 98 basics but with a dream match of the characters exclusive to the Ash Saga. I’d like to rock Terry/Oswald/XI Kyo in a 98 like game without strikers/tags/drives. Bonus points if they finally put in Alice.

Either way, from 98um to 98umFE, from 02 to 02um, and from XII to XIII to XIII Climax, SNKP has a track record of actually making things “better” from the previous version to the next. I feel like I’d really like XIII if it had one or two more major editions that fixed up things and it could truly be a great game. So with with a supposed KOF XIV, as long as SNKP works on it “enough,” it should be good. But for now, my anticipation will be lukewarm until there is more information.

I’m contented at the least since Undernight In-birth Exe:Late looks great and might have a chance of coming out here and Guilty Gear Xrd is for sure coming out and coming here. So if KOF XIV and the new Samsho are actually some varying form of a let-down, it’ll be alright.

Jeez, would love a new ss, something that aint using that same fucking engine as ss4 for once.
Those models do look kinda crappy though, kinda maximum impactish standard, nakoruru looks awful, like a mannequin.

But shit once you say the return of characters i can forget about all that shit and start wondering who will be making a comeback.
I know i would like to see more non kof representation, purely because (i know times have changed) kof was ment to a coming together of series a festival of fighting.

But as it is now it’s own beast with the odd token old boy thrown in for good measure, i think because now you dont have any more aof or ff, kizuna whatever i think it’s even more important to keep bring back characters from old games, i dont wanna ever not see the likes of franco bash, jubei, and so on ever again especially ones that were fun characters ( i know this is subjective)

Shit i’d even take the crap ones over some of the current ones we have now, shit like temjin or john crawly, axl hawk! over the likes of maxima, K, and pretty much 90% of anything that came during or after nests.

with SNK’s contribution to Tencent’s XDZW, I imagine they’ll be using something very similar to its sprites. I hope they go for something more advanced :s

making stuff more like 98 is great. I do love meter management in XIII though, EX moves are great. I just get annoyed having to do some long input for HD combos.

if true, this is the end.

snk makes terrible 3d games, TERRIBLE!!.

Isn’t this about SNK using 3D models for 2 gameplay.

Also Drive Cancels was a really interesting mechanic, would like to see them keep that and remove HD mode.

MIRA was actually a legit game. The others were pretty bad though.

I just want a new Fatal Fury/Garou game. Dual Plane Fighting and all with RB2’s combo system.

Judging by the models shown in this new picture, it seems not.

Man I’ve always loved the Samurai Shodown series, really it is the only SNK series I’ve followed for a long time. I hope it is like SS5 sp, SS2, etc. A fundamental footsie based weapons game.

I actually like those 3D models.

we looking at the same thing? the shading is similar.

even if these games were 3D, MIRA was super legit. very fun game.

Really don’t think so. These models are way more detailed than the ones of XDZW, much more 3D (while are “spritified” 3D models) and HD, even could work as artworks, so these in-game renders are more like the ones of KOF MI, unlike XDZW.

those models are ps2 era shit, wtf snk!? wtf!?

The good thing is that Running Wild could be saying the truth about those models being for a pachinko machine so they are not necessarily what they will use for their fighting games

“The world needs to play more?” That’s probably wrong/rough.

I’m gonna guess and say those are generic renders. The link with ugly Terry says they’re hiring to help develop smart and pach games, as well as nextgen KoF/SamSho (which would imply that development or art hasn’t started cause they haven’t hired all their staff yet)