Slide Tech

After watching odds and ends part 2 (video)…
and getting a tip from Ves about tip range slide might even be + frames on block…

this gives me an idea of setting up meaty slides that’s safe and even + frames…

obviously… there’s a weakness to this strat… but like any strat… if you abuse it… be prepare to lose… however here’s some benefits.

Pros

1. It’s not too hard to set up.
  2. on certain occasions… if your meaty slide whiffs you might still get away with it safely…
  3. works with practically all sorts of knockdowns even the ones that’s techable
  4. if you do it right… you can get away from 3 frame DP reversal… do it better… you can get away from Ryu’s super… and even better… you have frame advantage to the point where i think it’s possible your jab xx electricity is a block string…

Cons

1. if you abuse it… it’s somewhat easy to see
  2. obviously weak against wake up focus.
  3. they can still use moves that have first frame invincibility or armor
  4. Because each character wake up timing is different… and their hitbox is different… memorizing the ‘perfect’ timing for each might be difficult.
  5. Range specific…

I mainly test against Ryu… and like i mention above each character and range yields different results… but unless you’re trying to get the best case scenario for all your setups (huge frame advantage) this might be frustrating… however if you’re ok with just being safe and perhaps trying to set up upball/ex upball/counter poke/have an edge with footsie… then it’s extremely lenient.

These set up works for me… at ranges that i find reasonable… meaning… i don’t expect you to do point blank slides…

to help your timing… you can take a look at the frame data and find moves that might help you adjust your timing…
keep in mind Start Up + Active + Recover to get the total amount of frames…

so… moves like c.MK and close s.MP have roughly the same frames… but close s.MP and far s.MP… close version should recover a tad faster… anyways… do your own homework if you find the below setup doesn’t work due to distance or character…

vs. Ryu

c.HK:
c.MK, slide

slide (far/mid range… not tip or max)
c.MK, slide.

jab xx electricity:
if they tech…
walk forward a bit slide… it’ll come natural because you kinda need to walk forward a bit mid screen for slide to connect… if you slide right away… you’ll be too early anyways… so keep that in mind in the corner as well…

if they don’t tech…
you got plenty of time after the whiff slide to set up anything else.

ex upball:
point blank… it’s impossible to set up this slide…
anything beyond point blank varies too much… i wouldn’t recommend using this setup unless you got the timing down to a science (which with practice i can imagine it isn’t too hard if you’re not looking for frame perfect setup)

haven’t played with throw setup yet… but i figure these must be the easiest… but i remember there was one setup that was mention LONG time ago… feel free to add.

-LAU

In the original AE I used to use b.throw, cr.hk, slide. Safe even against Ryu and Chun Li’s supers. I don’t know how safe it is now though, but I slide use it to bait sweep punishes.

Thanks ilitirit

edit: still works…

Just wanna mention this strat was working pretty well for me against a decent ken player yesterday… pretty much gotten the results i wanted… From blocking dp… to ex upballing his dp or retaliation… to regular uoball his pokes and also throwing him or jabbing him after the setup…

Obviously also guessed wrong a few times and mistimed a few times but overall it pretty easy setup to throw in

-LAU

What’s cool with meaty slide vs Fei is it tends to make flame kicks totally whiff. <3

Yeah fei’s hitbox on flamekick is kind of high, this lets you save meaty cr.jab him as well from closer than you can shotos.