Sketching techniques thread

i need information/books on how to approach 3d perspective sketching.
Graphic designers and industrial designers use perspective sketching to draw objects from different angles. To simplify (i think) its the use of squares and ellipses to work out the basic proportions of an object.

This is not to be confused with rendering an object in 3d.

examples.

http://www.idsketching.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/sketch-a-day/sad11c.jpg

http://www.idsketching.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/sketch-a-day/sad5.jpg

also explained in this video.

[media=youtube]aDNhFLcsgh8[/media]

i can draw just about anything photo-realistically if its directly in front of me but that alone isnt going to help me if i want a career in concept art.

learn the concept of 2 and 3 point perspective. why it works and how it works.
there is nothing else to learn really.

after understanding it you practice regularly for a long long time.

no need for a book.

It works the same way really. Something else you should take a look into is sketching basic shapes/volumes in 3D space. It’s pretty simple after that. If you can draw those you should shouldn’t have much of a problem with anything else.

ok, i’ll try that.

Yeah it has nothing to do with what the thing is. perspective is just perspective.
the concepts apply to anything you want to draw in three dimensional space.

there’s no shortcut. you can’t ‘understand’ your way to being skilled. so pull out your pencils/pen/charcoal/brush/tablet and get practicing.

Ok, 2 things I need to work on. Drawing extremely straight lines and accurate elipses.
I can post images of random sketches when I get hold of a scanner, if anyones interested.

Draw with your wrist to make a straight line.

1, 2, and 3-point perspective.
orthogonal lines, vanishing points, horizon line
foreshortening, worm’s eye view, bird’s eye view

basically that’s most of what you need to know, since all the forms can be constructed from a rectangular prism after that.

<-- secondary art teacher

i thought it’s easier to draw straight lines using your elbow, or shoulder but i find using my shoulder quite difficult.

watch this video from 7:40 onwards

[media=youtube]C3lApsNmdwM[/media]

I meant to type elbow, oops. And that’s the exact video I referenced (dude is a living bible for commercial art. Nevermind watching his videos, just listen to what he’s saying and your drawing will improve)

lets see your work. are you on deviant art?

I actually hate Deviant Art…I had an account years ago, but never really updated it.

I lean more on the “fine art” side, rather than the “commercial” side (graphic design and the like), but I believe I’m competent. I’m certified to teach K-12; I’m currently at a middle school (because my principal’s an awesome boss). Some of my former students that go to the high school still drop by for critiques from me, so I guess my influence stuck with them.

I haven’t updated this blog in a while, but it’s there:

A sample of my work:

old sketch in college (like, 10 years ago):

a more recent W.I.P. drawing of one of my friends (she used to be my classmate and currently an art teacher herself):

My line quality has gotten cleaner after 10 years, but I’m just gestural by nature. I like hard lines, and it carries over to my paintings too.

A watercolor painting from a 14-yr old student:

A photo sample from a (then) 12-yr old student from her trip to Europe (I teach in an affluent neighborhood, even though it’s a public school); perspective stuff:

A sample from one of my (then) 13-yr old students:

here’s a really good site on industrial design sketching

http://www.idsketching.com/thesketchlab/materials-guide/

Here’s some of my industrial design stuff/sketching I did back in college

I sketch only with ball point pens.

same here, right now i’m only sketching with ball points. i tried rollerball pens but they dont feel as accurate as ball points. last week I ordered a pack of five rollerball pens before i had the chance to use one. they arrive in 2 weeks time but i’m already planning on selling them.

thought you guys might find these links interesting.

http://www.fzdschool.com/

some more interesting videos

[media=youtube]7rI6q6bv7do[/media]

[media=youtube]wgDNDOKnArk[/media]

Elementary Perspective book?

I got this off of Geocities before it shutdown…

Maybe it’ll help… I have other stuff too, but lemme know how this goes first…

If you have too many options for books, you’ll never end up reading any of them…

thanks for the link Bull.

regarding the fundamentals i’m looking for books that cover the following:

*Zero to four point perspective, Other varieties of linear perspective, vanishing points, horizon lines, depth perception. composition, rule of thirds, rule of space, camera angles and lenses.

*lighting, shadows, reflections and values, rendering spheres and cubes

*human and animal anatomy… (not really as important as the other fundamentals because anatomy books are easy to come by).

i think that covers the basics.

www.drawspace.com