Since when did throws beat out attacks?

one of the reasons why most people, noobs and semi pros alike, do not play SF4. 'Geif is a prime suspect of this grab>attack “problem”.

Some games are in reverse, like GGX2:AC. if they FB a move and you try to grab then that’s your ass. even Pot Roast’s FB air grab beats attacks and normal air grabs.

it’s either get around it with more practice and better tactics or put the stick down.

Your spacing and timing is off? Don’t jump in empty right next to there body and expect to hit a c.lk and don’t expect to sit next to them on wakeup unless you know what you are doing.

in old school fighters throws had 0 frame startup, so it happened a lot where someone was thrown out of the startup of their attacks.

Lately I’ve been getting thrown out of throws, as in we are standing near each other, I attempt to throw… and my character whiffs through the opponent and then I’m immediately thrown. Can you be thrown out of the startup on a throw? I would think that would tech it everytime but it doesn’t seem like it. Or maybe my whiff (though I don’t see why it would’ve whiffed if they weren’t ducking and were in range) expanded my hit box enough for them to catch it more easily?

Since SF2. If the attack you just put out is not invincible nor airborne (2 most common properties that avoid throws) and the attack you put out is still in it’s startup frames then you are in a throwable state. I’m not sure what happens when the active frames of both the throw and attack colide, but some guy above me says the throw will take priority.

This is not unique to SF4. And it has nothing to do with why SF4 is sub-par.

Baiko

First of all, crouching is irrelevant when it comes to throws in SFIV. You can be thrown while crouching just as easily as when standing. Second, you can not be thrown while in Hit Stun or Block Stun. If your attack hits your opponent or is blocked you have to wait until they have returned to a neutral state (recovered) before you can throw them. Often times inexperienced players will machine gun jabs and immediately go for a throw but end up whiffing because they did not wait for their opponent to recover from the hit/block stun. This is probably what you’re encountering when you’re whiffing your throw only to be thrown immediately afterwards by your opponent. There are a few other possibilities, but this one is the most common.

Ahh, I think you’re absolutely right. I’m trying to throw to after successfully landing a hit and they’re probably still in hitstun. The most common situation is I connect with a focus attack that I thought would crumple, so I dash up and go for a throw… but it doesn’t crumple and they throw right after I attempt. It’s probably the hitstun from the focus stopping me.

Are you sure about the crouching though? I could’ve sworn I’ve seen so many times when someone went for a throw and the other person crouched at the same time and the throw whiffed over their head? Is there a situation there that I’m not noticing?

i wish people could understand that throws do not “beat” normals, it is simply a matter of timing.

THROWS HAVE 3 FRAMES OF START UP.

what does that mean, really?

it means that after you press lp+lk it takes THREE FRAMES for your throw to come out. not 0, not 1.

what does that mean really?

it means that if i time my attack to come out before your throw, YOU GET HIT.

what does that mean, really?

it means mashing throw against someone who has an opportunity to meaty you IS A BAD IDEA.

more so, holding up back…same damn thing. jumps have startup, you aren’t instantly off the ground, although you are instantly throw invincible. however, DO NOT HOLD UP BACK WHEN SOMEONE IS IN A POSITION TO MEATY YOU. you will get hit.

also spd is 2 frames, not a reversal, stop mashing it.

and ex hands/legs/electricity are not real reversals either, stop mashing them.

I think it’s an understandable assumption as what you “see” is your normal sticking out, through the other player, you hear the swoosh of your attack, but then you get thrown instead of of connecting with the attack. It’s very misleading.

I’ve always wondered about this. I think it has to do with his throw having more range than yours, and you’re out of range for your throw to land.

Yes, I’m sure. And yes, there’s something to those situations you’re not noticing. If your feet are on the ground you are fair game for a normal throw attempt (Jab+Short). Only certain command grabs and specials work differently. For example, Rose’s Soul Throw and Abel’s Falling Sky will only grab you if you are airborne and they are grounded. Chun-Li and Guiles air throws will only grab you if you are both airborne. Cammy’s Hooligan throw will only grab you if you are standing or airborne. Etc.

The hit stun from the focus isn’t stopping you from throwing otherwise you’d be able to focus, dash in and see a throw whiff animation on a standing opponent that chooses not to do anything. Your character’s focus attack + dash puts you at a frame disadvantage and your opponent is recovering fast enough that they can throw you before you can throw them.

This is one of the other possibilities, though much less likely. Not all character have the same normal throw range. The “standard” is 0.90, though they can go as high as 1.05 and as low as 0.75. There are even techniques that can extend a characters given range. Ken, for example, has a standard throw range of 0.90, but using technique called a Kara cancel, the range of his forward throw can be extended to around 1.3.

Normal (Jab+Short) Throw Ranges:
1.05: Claw, Gen (Bwd)
1.00: Chun-Li, Dan (Fwd), Rose
0.95: Dan (Bwd), Gen (Fwd)
0.90: Abel, Akuma, Blanka, Boxer, Dhalsim, Dictator, El Fuerte, Gouken, Guile, Honda, Ken, Rufus, Ryu, Sagat, Seth, Viper, Zangief
0.85: Fei-Long
0.80: Sakura
0.75: Cammy

Not everyone…people with a fast dash using a lvl 2 focus will be at a frame advantage and will whiff. I’m pretty sure ken is at +4 after a blocked lvl 2 fa forward dash.

Yeah, like the other guy said…sounds like you’re trying to grab when hes in hitstun, but also …your hitbox is also extended when you go for a throw. Just yesterday I went for a kara-throw as ken against a sagat and whiffed because I didn’t have enough range. The sagat then threw me when I was recovering. According to the throw ranges then that shouldn’t have happened, but because my hitboxes were moved forward due to the grab whiff, I got thrown.

(From DevilJin 01’s sig)
October 27th. Shoryuken.com will come to a close and make way for the NEXT GREAT FIGHTING GAME WEBSITE! EWGF.com
Forward, neutral, down, down forward TWO.

Too bad there isn’t a real EWGF.com. My nick on IRC Is EWGodfist, so I’d love it if a real EWGF.com existed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh but there is a www.godfist.com. Not related to me of course.

As many people have said before, you are getting thrown out of the startup frames of your attacks which as a Balrog player, is something I love to see happen very much.

i don’t think that rock paper scissors thing really affects SF like it does other games, yes that’s the general rule of thumb but there are exceptions to every rule. it may be a latency issue but Dic can sometimes really be a, well, a Dic.

OP…due to the startup, you can and will be thrown out of scissors and psycho crusher. The animations make it look like you got absolutely cheated, but that is the fault of the animations, not necessarily the mechanics underneath.

Hell, you can throw Dhalsim out of his ultra on REACTION to his ultra.

It sucks, but its just the way it is I guess.