SFV Lounge: Ken is high mid. Kage is barely mid. F2P still coming

Still working on implementing dashes properly, I just get too worried about running into a button if I try dashing, especially since Doctrine presses them a lot. Hard to stop him from doing that when the best I can do is a single button into nothing

That’s what I was thinking. You can play that game but it seems really tilted in cammy’s favor.

If that uppercut special worked consistently it would be a different story.

I fall into this trap myself. I like to poke with Kolin c.mk. It’s a good button for lots of reasons, but I can’t win off it so I am trying to use it to get in closer where my buttons work better. (At least until VT).

Also, doesn’t Ed hit like a truck? It could make some of the risks pay off in the end.

Highland and other aussie players I play against can stop dashes on reaction… I can’t, so it took me months to figure out how they do it. They look at your character and look for the FF motion and then just do their jab or whatever.

I’m a dasher, always have been. So with ed specifically I had to develop a way to get my dash on. Basically what I do is st.lp>dash or st.lp, slight pause, st.hk. The st.lp makes it so that they can’t see the FF input on your dash so they will have to just stick something out… and that’s where your st.hk comes in, it will either CC what they do or hit them as they recover, or make them scared to press buttons. And that’s where your dash comes in.

Of course, don’t be dumb and binary with it. Switch up tactics and do lots of jabs into nothing, just make sure that if you DO dash, you cover the startup with a jab and your opponent has been trained not to jab your dashes because of fear of your st.hk.

When using this I had people in my discord complaining that they couldn’t stop my dash but that they could stop other people’s dashes on reaction.

Just remove the FF telegraph in creative ways and you will see some nice results. And if you start to get jabbed out of dashes a lot on reaction, you will know that you are telegraphing them too much with the FF motion or dashing from the same distance all the time etc etc

5 Likes

He does, I’m just super passive by nature and take very few risks so I often just plant myself in neutral and turn into a wall

At least, as much of a wall as Ed can be

Just need to get comfortable taking risks sometimes.

Less about them reacting to the dashes and more me running into a button they put out pre-emptively. As mentioned, Doctrine was pressing them a lot, and I had difficulty dissuading him from doing so

Just wasn’t eyeing his movement and button patterns well enough to spot places where I could dash, instead tunnel-visioning on whiff punishing everything, which net me a lot of hits at least but isn’t exactly Ed’s win condition

People that try to button ed down get st.hk’d into oblivion. Easier said than done versus good players but yeah if they are button happy in the neutral, your CC is designed to make them stop and think.

My ed games generally start out with people being button happy till I become CC happy, then they become just sit there and do nothing happy, and that when the jab dash game comes into effect.

Like it isn’t a world beater by any means, I just mentioned it because you mentioned not being able to get your dash on.

There are players out there that… GASP will try and CC my Ed’s st.lp… so there is always something to adjust to and I’m happy to play footsies so I don’t mind.

As far as ed goes though, I’ve dropped him. Not because I think he sucks but becaus I think he’s a terrible secondary to have. I think he’s a better main because he’s all around. But a secondary you generally want to cover bad matchups or give you something strong that your character doesn’t. Ed’s not got anything really overpowering so that makes his use as a second very limited imo.

Urien is my main, so I need a second that brings strategies to the table that Urien doesn’t…
Like a 3 frame, a 2 bar trigger that is good, an aerial gap closer or jumpin mixup, a command grab, a tier 1 fireball (guile sagat ryu) a ranged cancel into something safe (Karin) a reversal that can’t be jab meatied

Etc etc etc.

Looking at things that a second can give me that I don’t have or matchups the second might be good in that Urien isn’t, is what will probably work the best.

I’m currently looking at Karin and possibly birdie to round out my Urien, but I don’t have a comprehensive matchup list to see.

Ibuki also looks like she might be the key.

Actually I’ve been looking at the same thing. I was playing with Urien, but I don’t think he really gives me much that Kolin doesn’t have. Trying to come up with a better second.

Abigail is an obvious choice… but I just hate him so much… I want Hugo back…

1 Like

Falke maybe?

GG’s @Phantom_Miria !!

Falke is definitely still underrated, she’s force the opponent to take a choice and do it quickly. I can’t absolutely play OZ for too long vs her, she outrange Zeku pretty easily. YZ can give her problems, but you have to commit a lot on offense and patience is the key. I have to learn more on her VT1 too.

One more thing, no more battle outfit Falke. It’s… distracting :drooling_face:

1 Like

Try jumping instead. Not a lot of players are buffering their AA in behind a button, usually only see that stuff up the levels.

Notes taken: always use Battle Costume against Feroce. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I should look at her again. I haven’t touched her since messing around on day one.

Oh believe me I tried that when I’ve played Doctrine before (and even a few times during the random matches I posted). I got hit by Cammy’s bmp all but like two times and just ended up falling into a left/right mix-up, with how low recovery her buttons are and how fast bmp is it doesn’t feel worth it vs her, at least not against Doctrine who seems used to scouting for that.

Wish Ed had a fast anti-air like that :frowning:

Kolin makes Falke wish she wasn’t in the game.

1 Like

Ah, he plays Cammy, different story. Can’t really jump unless you’re in cross up. Did you post a replay? I’ll have a look.

Also what’s this character ban stuff so I can Skipp the fake outrage on my twitter.

https://youtu.be/7GYhMFpNKbg

Some of the random ones. Main issue is just being way too passive like always and poor offense, but I’m sure you’ll spot other things~

Yup, Got to replace the spring on my stick back to a 4 or 6lbs one.
Playing with the stock 2lbs was a mistake. Bloody thing offers no resistance and doesn’t return to neutral fast enough.

Guile, birdie, abby, bison, menat

All seem to tick a lot of boxes for secondaries imo, all are hard archetypes in sf5 and can polarise matchups. In fact picking guile or menat from that list, then throwing in one of the other characters to cover the first ones bad matchups is probably a good spread.

Personally I’d go with guile/birdie or menat/bison

DoA Producer: SC is cheating and get off our freaking backs, click for full picture

He ain’t wrong though

also I have been featured on eventhubs in the last month way more than maximillian, you are going down you tyrant!

9 Likes

Soul Calibur has definitely been pretty bad. They’ve had fanservice all the way to the beginning too (Sophitia had a bathing suit outfit you could unlock in Soul Edge). But they don’t make it as much of a selling point as DoA.

Not sure if any of you guys have ever played the first DoA, but the titties in that game bounced in an insane manner. You’d throw a punch and the things just start dribbling like a HNK combo.Then you move on to DoA2 on the dreamcast. In DoA 2 you could put in your age to heighten or lessen the fanservice to be age appropriate.

So in the first two games, Dead Or Alive basically cemented where the series was going to go in regards to fan service. Then you had the volleyball games…So that’s a wrap.

I get this current producer trying to clean it up, but he is basically the Black Knight screaming “Tis but a scratch”.

3 Likes

The real question is… what’s funnier… black knight or killer rabbit?

1 Like