SFA2: Hitboxes now available

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/StreetFighterAlpha2/

The facebook page now has hitbox data available for download as well as a link to my dropbox as another source. KeikoMars has been sent the info as well and should appear on the Alpha 2 blog.

This thread is being updated to be more organized. Therefore all info has been consolidated into a quick reference thread. Continue to discuss and ask away here, but any information will be in the following link.

[forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/187145/alpha-2-quick-reference-thread#latest](Alpha 2 Quick reference thread

I think as far as old games go this one is the most slept on nowadays and people are missing out on one of the best games to play casually. Here is pretty much alot of the stuff I learned from ogs and other people in the 7 years I have been playing this game. This game is so much more deep than build metter and ac or cc. Most the time if you randomly cc you are wrong and get countered. When everything is done, Ill add all this to the wiki, and update them as needed. These are basic guides breaking down characters normals, specials, supers, ccs, acs, and how to apply the tools they have to win. I’ll also try to go more in depth when they are all done, character matches etc.

Now I think Alpha 2 is one of the best games to learn in terms of being able to play SF. This game combines what you need to know from basic footsies that apply to all game and well as the threat of customs in other games such as A3 and CvS2. This is a heavy footsie based game. If you can play ST you can play this. The biggest reason this game scares off people in my opinion is easy high damage customs and alpha counters. Anyone abusing those can easily be beat if that is their entire game plan although depending on you character it can be effective. People tend to give A3 a chance over A2 because if those reasons. A3 nerfed the ac to be unusable and the custom system is much more broken if you can utilize it correctly leading to unblockables, otgs, guard breaks, and infinites. The biggest problems with customs in A2 is mainly the Valle CC and high damage on certain ccs. The same as Alpha 3 though you can counter activate a custom, but a difference is A2 ccs have nowhere near the invincibility as A3 vcs. In A2 it easy to bait customs due to people trying to get a blowout cc.

In general if you play the game like ST, but understand the uses of customs and acs, the game becomes rather easy and hands down one of the most fun games to play. The following is a list of the more abusable things in the game to watch for and some things to use against it.

Kens’s kick alpha counter- The range is incredible and shuts down fireballs with ease. Easy to alpha counter reversal with normals.

Chun Li- Just the character in general. Too much priority on everything, really good hitbox on fireball, huge damage on cc. You really want to be safe and know how to anti air or dp to stop her from jumping. Even then her ground game is so good. You have to know the match up well to win vs a person of around equal skill. Comparable to fighting ST chun in terms or air priority.

To be updated more

SCANS IN PROGRESS: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7426/scan0001dzy.jpg

I’ll set them up in mega upload or something as soon as it is all complete, I will release on a character by character basis until the whole book is scanned.

AWESOME A2 SITE SFZ2 Blog

Street Fighter Alpha 2 wiki updated

Charlie wiki complete
Rose wiki complete
Sodom wiki complete
Birdie wiki complete
Guy wiki in progress
Zangief wiki in progress
Adon wiki in progress

—Dan vids

[media=youtube]pSEzw252akM&feature=related]YouTube - [SFZ2 match[/media]
[media=youtube]UB4jJKJKolk&feature=related[/media]

Birdie 101 (UPDATED CCS MARCH 29, 2009)

RSX and Co. teach A2. By RSX

—Birdie vids
[media=youtube]gWo5kCVhs8M[/media] (5 final cc by thegreenplug in a real match)

—Gen Vids

[media=youtube]Uc-FVdlBg-0]YouTube - [SFZ2 match[/media]
[media=youtube]YXIAL__4maM&feature=related]YouTube - [SFZ2 match[/media]
[media=youtube]yG5VQAJd9Kg&feature=related]YouTube - [SFZ2 match[/media]

—Akuma vids

[media=youtube]m8vMvqUirUk&feature=related]YouTube - [SFZ2 match[/media]
[media=youtube]qijipoT-8Og&feature=related]YouTube - [SFZ2 match[/media]
[media=youtube]dhIN5eG6yBE&feature=related]YouTube - [SFZ2 match[/media]

when we played last night, i noticed you were using meaty cr.fierce with the shotos a lot.

is meaty cr.fierce their best meaty attack? because i usually use meaty cr.strong.

I saw it coming, HAHA.

How do I beat rose’s dumb shit?

I’d give this game a chance if there was a way round not losing 1/3 life while blocking a soul illusion combo

^how do you do cheap soul illusion combos?

I believe anything involving Rh. Spiral while you activate Soul Illusion does massive chip damage, but RSX plays her (probably) so he could set you straight. I do know j.fierce, cr.strong XX Rh spiral does like 50% damage when it hits.

i just played against his rose last night…and that block damage made me laugh, shit was nasty…the only thing i can think of is alpha counter, but i cant get them to come out on my shitty stick at all so i couldnt see what happens…

im outi

Roberth

This is a great initiative. But besides doing this, it would be great to improve the wiki so everyone can easily access to info of this game.

Quality A2 info is not easy to find.

Alpha countering that SI block string shit only gets you hurt, most of the time. There a few spaces where an AC will work and be safe, but it’s on the last hit of each multi-hitting normal, for the most part.

Beating Rose:

First of all, you have to be aware of the Alpha Counter game. Her punch AC will suck in just about any normal during any part of said normal’s hit window (except in a few whacky crossup situations). To beat that, you have a few options. Throw them. Throw their asses to hell and back. Smart Rose players CC/Super you for getting overzealous. So when I say throw the fucking shit out of them, I intend to say that you need to be on point with your reading skills, rather than just recklessly trying to throw. Also, you can Delayed AC Reversal (aka Choiversal) her AC. I would say that her punch AC is the hardest to AC reversal in the game without committing to the move.

Soul Illusion shit. Dude, I see too many people just sitting there and taking it when she activates. Hit her first. Unless you have absolutely no choice. They want to run her Soul Illusion shit? Cool. But at least make it a pain in the ass for them.

Dealing with cr.str: Yeah, this move is a bitch to get past. But that’s the problem, you’re trying to get past it. You can’t. Get over it. Rather, ermmm, under it. The best way to beat cr.str is with a move that goes below it. i.e. Shoto sweep. Most any character has a move that works from some particular spacing with some particular timing to go under cr.str. Alpha Counter works, of course (don’t forget that Rose can AC reversal too, though).

If you’re a shoto: Most Shotos just rule out fireballs against Rose for some reason. Fuck that. Just don’t be predictable, and don’t throw stupid fireballs from full screen.

There’s obviously more, and I could go on (I could also be less frank) but…honestly, if none of that stuff is helping you out…

PLAY GIEF!

Along with RSX, when I’m around, I’m always down for exchanging ideas, tactics and knowledge. I usually just type lessons to people while I beat them up, though.

“stop jumping at me”. “stop trying to alpha counter me”. “stop moving and get beat up”.

No seriously, we’re all nice guys in the A2 room and we like new players.

Oh, btw,

Good Shit RSX! thumbs up

All I want to know is: How the hell do you get all 8 hits in Gen’s uppercut kick? I know you have to mash the button, unlike in A3, but can you tell me some kind of rhythm?

Is it bada, bap, bap, bap, bap, bap, bap, bap?

Or ba, dapap, bap, bap, bap, bap, bap, bap?

Or just a bunch of baps and less badas and dapaps?

I know in A3, it’s ba… da… bap… bap, bap, bap, BAP, BAP!

ill bap you

I would like to Learn A2 as well. I will be on later today. I’m trying to build up my level of execution so that its on point (its pretty poo right now). Therefore I’m going to learn Ryu.

I’m certainly down. I love A2.

I’d love to learn, cause the game is fun. But it gets real frustrating because it’s hard to alpha counter on reaction online.

Actually I heard it was Pon pon pata pon, pata pata pata pon, but faster.

RSX:
I wanna learn some Rose’s SI combos.

Is it possible to finish an easy setup with slide than CC into c.RH to drill and DP?

Tell me some killer combos with her and teach me the basic lvl1 CC.

I also would like to know some pokes and combos with Sagat, including CC.

Here is me playing Sagat, P1: http://www.4shared.com/file/56992188/3d1c2a14/Azis_Vs_Sarda.html

Tell me how to master and improve him, I liked him a lot while playing, and much more after watching a japanese guy playing, but it was so few matches that I learned nothing, just had time to say Oh my G… then he quit.

Thanks in advance.

And guys, lets play more A2, for Christ sake!

I’m down to learn how to play A2 better. I normally play Charlie or Ryu/Evil Ryu…

I am okay I think…

Her basic level 1 CC is just: Activate, sweep, then RH drill twice into her flying grab move (DP+P) It’s good to have a nice mix of SI pressure/combos and still do CCs too. You can also do fancy shit like activating SI when you’re about to get ticked by Gief’s SPD and you won’t get grabbed, while being able to follow up with a combo.

As for Sagat…I just mainly use s.mk for a ground poke/far antiair (like full screen jump from a tiger shot), s.fp for a fair antiair, s.rh for a closer antiair, and c.mp for like all purpose ground poke/combo/counterhit/whatever.

His CCs are just: Activate, sweep, RH tiger knee xN, end with fierce DP.
Antiair CC: Activate, s.jab, RH tiger knee xN, end with fierce DP.
Little trick most people should know: If you lvl 1 Tiger canon as someone fireballs, it’ll hit them even full screen. Ryu can do it to you as well so watch out for that.
Vs Ken: Try not to tiger shot anywhere near 1/4 screen since he can get a free AC+K on you everytime, really frustrating.

I can post some more later.

Ok check this out imma post some A2 info on this board also, Ill be training nicknackfiend and Shodokan123 on ggpo, but Ill answer any questions on here

Ill make a rose faq here soon, there is some good stuff on the wiki and ill post my old faqs along with maxstahs. Here is some random stuff:

Unblockables:

After Bison’s cc ending in Headstomp, his meaty sweep in unblockable.

I believe after Sim’s Air grab super his sweep is unblockable. Also you can do 3 lvl 1 air grabs in a row, after landing 1, immeadiately do another, this will grab them on the ground as long as they dont hit any buttons.

After a sweep with Rose, Activate lvl 1 shadow super and do a meaty df+mk. If done right only the shadows hit which are unblockable and you can tag on a c.mp xx mk drill.

Overheads:
Sak and birdie have the best ones. Sak can c.lk xx hp dp or super kicks after, birdie can sweep for a knock down

Rose combos:

After any sweep, activate soul illusion and immeadiately do df+mk. The meaty df+mk will be unblockable and allows for a free c.mp xx mk or rh drill.

after a cross up mk, c.mp xx sould illusion, walk forward a little bit, c.hp xx hk drill

Cancel c.mp or s.fp/c.fp into soul illusion, immeadiately activate and combo into cc.

cross up mk, c.mk xx soul illusion, lvl 2 soul spark for heavy damage

Charlie 101

Posted: 2008-04-03 1:14 AM MDT
Charlie 101 Oh yeah here we go.

Charlie has an incredibly good defense and offense. He has alot of good thing going for him and a few bad, so we will start there.

Pros:

AA monster, high priority normals for anti-air (s.mp, s.mk, s.hk) as well as lk flash kick which beats anything and his AA cc.

Great projectile, though its not as good as guile’s in other games, not giving frame advantage like guile really, but come out fast and has good speed and trajectory and does allow for combos when thrown from afar.

C.mk is universal poke with far range and is really annoying

Cons:

Easy as hell to cc thru his AAs, and due to him being so solid, alot of people will try jump-in cc.

Outside c.mk his normals are so-so, f+fp is so slow, and other normals are more for AA.

ACs arent all that great with them being slow and sometimes missing.

CC isnt damaging like other characters.

****Normals Breakdown:

STANDING

s.lp- Just a normal standing lp, nothing too special about this, can AA sometimes and you can s.lp walking pressure on whoever cant duck this.

s.mp- A really good anti air, he does a quick uppercut. Cancel this ino a sonic boom to keep up pressure. I usually cancel into a lp boom if I AA with this.

s.fp- I straight punch that I havent really found much use for.

s.lk- A quick kick to the shin, I use this rarely, seems to have decent priority but no range :(.

s.mk- Another great anit air when your opponent jumps in fram afar, such as Sagat jumping in with rh. Can cancel into specials.

s.hk- Ugly angled kick which is good or anti-air, same uses as s.mk with a little more power behind it.

CROUCHING

c.lp- This is your combo starter. Combo’s easily into sonic booms, flash kicks, supers.

c.mp- Limited anti air ability, better to stick with your other choices IMO. Good to cancel into sonic boom for pressure or use in combos. Seems to have ok priority, seems slow to me compared to other characters c.mp’s.

c.fp- Probably top ten useless normals in A2. Looks like Guile’s godly c.fp from other games but gets beat by everything. I fucking hate this move.

c.lk- I like this normal, cancels easily into booms and supers. Decent range, I like to walk up and poke with this.

c.mk- His best ground all-purpose poke. Great range, speed, hits low, and has great recovery. Quite annoying when playing a Charlie player because this move can very effectively keep you out due to its range. Seems to leave you on even frames, maybe very slight frame advantage.

c.rh- Eh. This move doesnt really suck but really isnt great. Slow coming out and heavy recovery. I really dont use this at all, unless Someone whiffs a dp, etc from afar.

JUMPING

j.hp- This move is dope, hella priority, speed, and if done close you get the throw. Best air-to-air period.

j.mk- GREAT range on this jump in and pimp cross up, use to punish fireballers, and dont swing if you think a dp is comin, cc their ass on recovery. great jump-in.

j.hk- Great jump-in too, good priority and awesome angle.

SPECIAL

f or b+hk- This is his foward moving hop kick. Good range, but slow in this game. Very useful for moving forward after a sonic boom.

f or b+mk- Slow ass overhead which im pretty sure leaves you at neg frames. Use at MAX distance to be safe, I usually will do it after a boom.

f+fp- This normal is best used as a anti-jump. Good in the corner when doing soni boom pressure, toss is out it you think they will jump and it will it them :).

****Specials Breakdown:

Sonic Boom:

The best fireball in terms of release speed and recovery, and a key part of zoning and pressure with Charlie. This is very hard to punish and with good charging techniques you can keep up a while vs ryu’s. This isnt as good as later games since point blank it doesnt leave you with much if any frame advantage, but still allows combos from certain ranges.

Flash Kick:

Probably the best AA in the game, easily beating jumps in with the lk version, and easily beating ground moves with mk version.

****Supers:

Sonic Break:
Very useful super since it seems he first sonic boom comes out no matter what which ean at worst it will trade making it very reliable AA. As far as chip goes I would just cc. Good to push opponent back, can delay booms by spacing punch input. Good AA, but i would cc instead.

Sonic Blitz:
This is the super you want to combo into, decent damage and combos off light attacks at any lvl, safe on block.

Somersault Justice:
Better in A3. When comboed you usually miss hits making it weaker to combo into than Blitz after a cross up, but looks better. Unless going for chip or style points, stay away from this super unless comboing from a jump in (Which gets all the hits).

****Custom Combos:
Oh yeah, CCs, another reason this fucker is annoying. And if they block your cc, or you can see they will, dont fucking flash kick! Sonic boom, its safe. Note that his cc leave him in prefect cross-up position.

Lvl 1:

c.rh xx lk flash kick, hp sonic boom xx hk flash kick
c.rh xx hk flash kick x2

For chip and/or block:

This CC is really good because you can walk behind these unlike other chip ccs. Walk behind these and go for a counter hit, overhead, or throw. Make sure to start out with c.rh, cause if they do get hit they get juggled.

c.rh xx lp sonic boom x4

Lvl 2:

c.rh xx hk flash kick x 3

Lvl 3:

c.rh xx lk flash kick x3, mk flash kick, hk flash kick
c.rh xx lk flash kick, hk flash kick x3

Anti-Air Custom Combos

Now these are very important, specifically to punish people who look to jump after a sonic boom, also allow you to walk after a boom and punish hard, since they arent worried about a charged flash kick. Now in most cases they can jump to where if you try to AA you will get beat, mainly wen theyare looking to jump immeadiately after a boom. That when you hit’em with AA cc.

Activate:

s.mp if they ae higher up(into any lvl ground cc)
c.lp if they are lower to the ground (into any ground cc)

Now hit them with this a couple times and Im sure they will think twice about jumping >_<.

^^^^CHARGE TECHNIQUES^^^^

This section is important to learn fo any SF game, if you use a charge character. This is quick charging, the most effective way to maximie your charge time. Perform every sonic boom in this way:

charge b-f-b+p

Instead of the normal motion you execute the sonic boom ending in back+punch. This allows you to start harging for the next boom immeadiately after throwing he next one.

Sonic boom, SOMERSAULT!!!

This way of performing a sonic boom allows for the execution of a flash kick about a tenth of a second later after throwing the boom. You can actually flash kick while the boom is on screen. Perform it in this way:

charge b-f-b-db-d-df+lp

So after charging you go foward, back, then roll to down foward+lp. Hit up and kick a tenth of a second later and a flash kick will come out. neat huh?

Play Style

Charlie can be played aggressively or defensively, 99% of the players you see will be the latter. Though Charlie can be very effecive defensively, a well rounded player will learn how to use both, thus making it harder to adjust to your play style. Some players are mostly offensive (S4v is an example) while some can go hardcore turtle (Me, guilty). But the problem with that is if you cant play him both ways you are bound to run into some problems. So best to try to balance both.

Patternizing: A no-no

Alot of Charlie players I notcied will patternize a hell of alot more than with other characters. 80-90% of them will boom after a c.mk. Dont do that shit. Mix up your poke string as well as you can, other wise you are gonna get countered easily. Ever play someone and kick their ass, but about 3-4 matches down the road you are having a hard time or losing? You are probably doing alot of patterns they caught on to. Like in the corner, you throw a sonic boom, most people follo up with a c.mk or c.rh. They almost always do. They other options they had were:

1. Throw another sonic boom
  2. nothing, punish jump attempt or cc a dp atempt
  3. walk up throw
  4. f+fp to punish jumpers
  5. Jump-in and start another poke string.
  6. f+rh to punish mashers

Now the situation is gonna dictate the action, but its better than just c.mk or c.rh. You are just gonna get AC’d. Mix it up.

Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, pause Sonic boom…

Using the quick charge technique explained earlier, this ca be very effective versus some characters. As soon as they block a boom throw another one, use different speeds. Just keept booming as fast as possible, you are doing it right if as soon as a sonic boom is blocked, one is coming out. this builds meter very quickly and can force your opponent to jump, eating a CC. When they get jump happy, ocassionally pause, if they jump, CC, normal AA, or Flash kick. Rinse repeat.

Counter CC

Now like I mentioned earlier about jump in cc’s, Charlie get that done alot to him because his solid ground game. If you suspect your opponent plans on this, or patternizes by always doing this, save your cc to counter CC, free damage for you. Some matches I would just sit back and boom and just wait for the cc to counter it.

General Combo’s^^^*^

All these can be done after a cross up mk:

c.lp x2, c.lk xx sonic boom
c.lp, c.lk xx mk flash kick
c.lp x2, c.lk xx any lvl Sonic Blitz (or Somersualt Justice)

Comboing into super is real good with charlie, dont save it for cc, the damage is the same or more.

Corner combos coming to a FAQ near you!