SF5 Lounge: Idom Wins. Only Poison is Woman enough for Capcom Cup

If Father Boon truly flexed, it would mean the immediate death of all people around him in a 5 kilometer radius

Went on the GG reddit and found something I never knew before. The first ever game was going to use pre-rendering instead of sprites and both May and Potemkin would use axes instead of an anchor and fists. Early Sol in particular looks pretty off.

9 Likes

This is a really good article about netcode, GGPO, delay-based, etc. and some high-level description of implementation. I can’t remember if I saw it posted here or elsewhere. There’s a tonne of thought put into the whole systems behind it - I enjoyed reading it, but I’m a developer, so I might just be a weird bastard.

http://ki.infil.net/w02-netcode.html

Edit: Much at the start is baby-steps that most folk here’ll know, but it does show some great insights.

3 Likes

Ed Boon needs to get his eyebrows plucked.

1 Like

For example, even if you hacked your game so Ryu can throw faster fireballs, my simulation of the game won’t agree with yours and we will quickly desync.

Well hackz0rs really blew that one out of the water now, didn’t they?

:joy:

1 Like

If you’re not here to learn, you can go sit outside the classroom. This is your time you’re wasting, not mine, teach.

Edit: Do US teachers get called “teach”? Do they use the same phrases UK teachers do? If not, this “joke” will not go down well…

4 Likes

Lost my first match on stream.
Took quite the beating to a Dudley player. It was 3-2 for him.

1 Like

You can get emulators that can run an 8-bit game in rewind time for as long as you hold the button.

Running an older game on more powerful hardware gives a coder a lot of extra options.

1 Like

I somehow managed to win a match.
No 0-2 for me tonight.
The curse of 1-2 looms over me.

2 Likes

They didn’t. Brazil turned the game around. Pure Champion heart on those kids. Looks like I’ll see another Brazilian team take the gold in the WC after all.

I’ll just need to wait for Neymar to retire, but hopefully it won’t take that long.

1 Like

You ain’t lying even his CC buttons are plus lol.

Idk i feel like I’m low key becoming a tier whore all the top tiers feel so good to play

3 Likes

You have to build the game in a way that keeps “saving” rollback states.
And that they are loaded seamly without interrupting the flow of the game.
You are basically creating a system that keeps saving multiple save states and loads them when needed, add the whole prediction thing that you have to do to minimize the rollback calls.

GGPO “working” with “many” roms was an effort of years of multiple people working on making the emulation of said roms compatible with GGPO, and the number of roms that work with GGPO is not that big as you think.
Many of those who work still have issues too.
It not just a matter of dumping the netcode into the roms and them magically working, it took years and many hours of many people to make them work, and some never became fully compatible.
You are understeimating how difficult and time consuming is to build a netcode and a game that works around it.

If you have not build your technology to work with something like rollback from the get go you have to0 rebuild everything in the worst case scenario

5 Likes

I’m surprised Cipher hasn’t “7-1’ed” you yet.

Never.

His eyebrows are rumored to be the source of his power

4 Likes

Fang is such a bitch made character god damn

7 Likes

Falke would be so much better if her + OB attacks didnt send the opponent a mile away

The SF 1-2 curse is so strong that I go 1-2 even on a SF game that I pretty much barely played before.
But fun was had, people were hugged by Hugo and they whined a lot about my 4 lbs lever on stream because it was the only available spare stick there. And almost no one could use such a wimpy lever.

10/10, will go take 1-2 on the next one with Hugo.

6 Likes

playing Menat again and I feel like I’m getting the hang of her more, there are times when I think it’s awkward to play keepaway with her normals though.

I just imagined everyone trying to move the lever and failing like it was Excalibur. :rofl:

2 Likes

Do you do Hugo’s 720 on that thing?!!

1 Like