Seth's bad matchups

Who do you guys have the most trouble against…aka who are Seth’s bad matchups?

Is Fei long troublesome?

I think Seth does have bad match-ups, but a lot depends on how you’re playing as Seth, and what caliber of player you’re against. With that said, I personally have problems against DJ, Ibuki, Guy and Cammy. Not to say a good Sakura won’t fuck my day up, though.

This is kind of the make-or-break deal with Seth. you miss a safe jump, it can cost over half your life. From there one could say “Ryu’s broken”, but really it’s just fuel to improve… and an indicator of the game being overall broken.

I don’t worry much about Fei. Everybody plays him the same, and he’s a rather linear character to begin with. Seth owns the air, but if Fei’s got U2, you’ll have to change your game plan unless you’re betting on him not using it. I wish I could use more focus attack in this match, but it loses too much to Rekka spam that I can’t rely on it. Plus if you focus, then Fei focuses, be sure to just backdash since if you both hold til level 2, and you hit his focus and dash either way, you’re likely to get crumpled. the only alternative is to hold to level 3, or just take your chance in seeing what he does with his focus after a level 2.

All in all, sometimes playing like a maniac works, sometimes it gets you killed. sometimes it gets you killed real fast. Just don’t give anybody any respect, cuz they won’t give you respect. I’ve played a number of people who always “wake-up buttons” me regardless of how much meter I’m hoarding and what kind of mix-up I thought I was doing. So just take the safety off and get to styling.

Love your avatar by the way.

I have severe trouble with Fuerte, i don’t know if i’m just unfamiliar with the match up… but it just feels to me

• Seth doesn’t last long under the knockdown guessing game
  • Fuerte punishes Teleport escapes very well.
  • EX Dragon legs beats Seths go-to SRK tricks

But i don’t know much about the match-up, hell my gemeplan at present is to just sit-wait & pray i don’t get knocked down.

I also find Dee Jay, Guy & Adon to be quite torublesome.

I don’t like Cammy, Guy or Viper, for various reasons.

cammy and sagat

Ryu, Ken, Sagat, Akuma, Guile, and Dhalsim are the first characters that stand out to me because they are able to keep Seth out easily. Guile and Dhalsim have a hard time if Seth gets in, though.

IMO Seth has a hard time against characters with solid anti-airs and decent footsies (like Fei-Long and Sakura) if he can’t keep them out.

Guy is kind of annoying because of that elbow drop.

Viper, Fuerte, and other Seths are a pain for obvious reasons.

Yea, Seth is a bad matchup for Seth.

I absolutely hate playing Seth mirrors. The rounds become “nobody do ANYTHING” pretty quickly.

In 2012, I believe Seth’s legitimate 4-6 MUs are: Cammy, Sagat, Viper, Fei, Sakura

Maybe three or four 4.5. Has no 3-7 this time around. :tup:

If you want to counter pick with a sub, then Viper or Cammy are probably your best options.

I’m thinking about picking up Viper since everyone is moving the hate train to Seth now. She has the tools I want for the most part and I probably don’t have to worry about losing all of them if Capcom pulls a 2013.

I used to be on the Seth hate train cos my main is blanka and getting punished for landing a hit is pure adultrated bullshit. But now that hp ball, ex ball and ex upball knockdown, I could care less. I was actually thinking about maining Seth, but he looks so hard to play.

I also have trouble with El Fuerte, but I think it’s just because he’s so random, and after a knockdown it sucks to play his guessing game like you said. I think your biggest mistake is sitting and waiting. I do better when I just get in there and make him play my guessing game instead. Also Tanden Engine helps to stop his run; mix it up with HP Tanden just to throw him off when he’s a bit further. Also I think you can SPD a blocked Tostada? Dee Jay and Adon aren’t usually that big of a threat to me, but I definitely agree with Guy. No clue what to do against him.

Personally I don’t find Sagats to be all that tough because if they’re getting to predictable with fireballs I can wall jump in for a free combo (or you can try to get him to whiff a SRK by doing a dive kick). Ultra 1 in 2012 makes it super easy to punish his tiger shots. I dunno maybe I just don’t come across too many good Sagats because I’m not that good myself.

Yeah, you definitely need to find better Sagats. Between his roundhouse and kara Tiger Uppercuts, he can hit most any wall jump. Moreover, players tend to dash forward when the opponent starts backing away, especially against Seth.

U1 isn’t that good against tiger shots, you have to react ridiculously early or you will just get hit out of it. I think cody beats seth, also saying that dhalsim beats seth is pretty silly, seth blows up dhalsim

Yeah it actually isn’t super easy to punish tiger shots depending on the spacing; it’s still mostly about predicting when they are going to do one. I generally buffer the ultra if they are full screen. I guess the reason I feel it’s easy to punish them is because how predictable sagat players tend to be; it’s not nearly as bad as trying to punish Guile or Deejay’s. I don’t see how Cody beats Seth though. Cody is a good character, but I think Seth has the tools to deal with anything Cody throws at him. I find him pretty easy to get into my mix ups. Dhalsim is annoying to fight, but I agree that Seth should usually win. I usually win if I keep him cornered, but if I let him run away it can go badly.

is it actually possible to react-punish sonic boom? i mean EX maybe, that’s if the boom doesn’t hit you first… but the normal booms?

The only way it’s possible to punish full-screen is if you finish inputting the Ultra as the sonic boom is coming out, so basically no. But if you’re not full screen I think you have a little more time. Still I don’t think it’s very likely to land unless you know they are going to throw one out. When I think about it, it feels like the EX boom is even harder to punish because although his start up and recovery frames are longer, it comes at you so fast that you can get hit out of the Ultra I think. Maybe that’s just certain distances or I’m just remembering wrong though…

online you are basically making a read in a fireball war. offline you can react to guile moving which is why better guiles like to down back and suddenly st.lp to fake you out, but you can react to hearing the “sonic” he yells out…if you can hear the tv anyway…

elf is easy mode. keep him out, os legs, os u1, reaction legs, ex os dp still works, tanden ex run on reaction, tanden in general just to fuck with him…

dee jay you cannot tanden as much but he is easy otherwise. only thing he really has going for him is sobats and the ability to keep seth out but both require good spacing.

cody - seth is like 5-5. cody can keep seth out with his superior pokes and aa options…can kill him really easily…but seth knocks cody down, cody’s gonna have problems on another level…

u1 is pretty much the only ultra i use now and sagat can’t throw slow shots anymore when you have it. pretty important (i think this is 5-5 now…)

guy gets in an uncomfortable range pretty easily but otherwise cst.HP and ultra 1 prohibit him from trying to get around your zoning. wake up is still rather weak, taking big risks to get you off of him.

You can totally ultra Sagat’s tiger shots anywhere on the screen. That mid range where Sagat loves to throw tiger shots? Free ultra/EX legs.

Sagat’s fast shots can still knock you out of your Ultra at some distances (unless you have the eagle eye, but I don’t)

I have a problem against Juri’s, and a decent shoto, only shoto I can beat with Seth is Oni, and that’s because It’s easy to punish the whiffed fire balls.

Even T hawk, his damage is insane and if a good t hawk played Seth they can dive bomb over your sonic booms and destroy you on the jump in.

I mean I bet there is more diversity on the west coast but I live on the east so I see oddly enough, a lot of Harkans, juri, ryu, oni, Sakura, and Geif. The list goes on but I only get to play very few bad matchups

But Seth can rape anybody especially with his corner pressure and block strings, but be aware that his dive kick is punishable (so pray they respect the kick and just block. But you won’t have this problem against wrestlers, the only grappler that can harm Seth that much is Abel, and that’s because of his anti air, and roll into command grab if you want to go all turtle Seth.

I’m starting to use t engine less because everyone blocks them, and his teleports can be severely punished. Basically any rushdown character with a viable wake up, and anti air can beat Seth, for the most part.