Scanline generator SLG3000

So you want PC VGA -> SLG3000 -> VGA 2 YUV converter -> LCD ?

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: PS3 HDMI @ 720p > HDFury > SLG3000 > ASUS 1080p LCD

Basically yeah.

That looks beautifully retro ^^.
Do you feel any additional input lag with this particular config ?

I’m glad you agree! It’s actually 720p. 1080p scanlines suck. I haven’t noticed any lag, but I’m more of a casual player really… it’s the “EVO” monitor.

I should add that if you transcode from component to VGA the image isn’t nearly as sharp, Marvel looks nothing that – you need the HDFury, although I definitely prefer the softer image for emulators and retro games. I haven’t tried 360 with a VGA cable yet, one on the way.

Be sure to turn the “RGB” effects up so you can get that crt look otherwise your lines are too clear for being anything authentic.

Use a pic like this as reference.

Picasa Web Albums - vomitus rectalis - SLG3000-PROTO…

Ordered one of these but have a couple of Q’s:

Would something simple like this setup be pretty effective for this device?

640x480 360 VGA > SLG3000 > CRT monitor

Planning mainly to use this setup with shmups on my jp360. I’d imagine muchi muchi pork / pink sweets would look killer with scan lines.

Are the cases for the SLG3000 not yet included in the current order form on the site and can be purchased seperately at a later date?

This. Lack of a case (fear of damage, etc) is really the only thing stopping me from ordering one or two of these.

You can always make a small compromise for the time being if you bought a cheap piece of Tupperware and cut a few holes in it. Some of us find it hilarious, but it’s still more handy then you’d figure.

first of all, thanks for ordering :slight_smile:

Sure, take a look here xbox360 with SLG 3000

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YLXgzxS8cEc/TRzH6kCaETI/AAAAAAAACZY/ruGobZpf_cI/s320/IMG_0803.JPG

The cases are in pre-order phase. I`m awaiting them every day.

Available versions are

• transparent with engraving (mirrored from the back side of the top sheet)
  • black with engraving
  • black base with transparent top sheet with engravings

There is no version without engraving!

Some facts:

• All cases are laser cut, which means absolute clear polished edges.

Case Prices:

• Case DIY Kit goes now for 15,00? plus shipping 4? (applies for all countries) - no SLG included
  • SLG with case for 66?
  • SLG only pcb still 49?

Send me a PM or use the ArcadeForge (http://www.arcadeforge.de) contact form Contact us - ArcadeForge

ql :slight_smile: look above, case will be available soon :slight_smile:

Looks solid. :china: PM’d about getting a case.

Today, I received the SLG 3000. I’m very pleased with the results. Now, I can use my LEDTV for Dreamcast with GOOD graphics:

[media=youtube]2n7gBw8mt5s"[/media]

I’m interested in the RGB VGA converter upscaling board for my 240p consoles.

hey, thanks for the great presentation on youtube :slight_smile: YEs, I`m working currently on Sync Stripper. This way you could use those cga2vga converters. But any other good VGA scaler should work, too.

I ordered this one:

S Video AND Video To VGA Converter PC MAC TV VCR #9963 - eBay (item 220672901336 end time Mar-21-11 03:33:43 PDT)

An S-Video Gamecube Monster cable is being shipped as well for my super famicom. Currently, I use the Gamecube RGB SCART-cable.

puh, really cheap one. Do not expect wonders. SLG3000 is only as good as the feeded input

I’m still confused about connections…

Dreamcast connects to a VGA box (specifically for Dreamcast) through an S-Video, and then the VGA Box itself connects to a VGA port? (Direct compatibility with the SLG3000 this way?)

Saturn does direct TV connection with an appropriate SCART cable…? (Seems to be SCART’s are made for both PAL and NTSC or something’s screwed up in the online listings I saw.) Or does the SCART go through a scaler.

PS2, Gamecube, and Wii uses component video hookups.

PS3 HDMI direct plug in… No mystery there.

Scaler would be best with the Saturn, PS2, and Gamecube/Wii?

DVDOEdge (Scaler?) looks best for those systems in addition to my DVD player and laserdisc…

Dreamcast connects directly to a VGA box through the A/V port. The box has a female VGA port.

Most retro (240p based) consoles have or can be modded for SCART RGB.

The best all around scaler for everything would be the DVDO edge, but since the Edge only outputs HDMI, you’ll need an HDMi to VGA converter like the HDFury to use the with SLG3000, and a SCART breakout cable for hooking up Saturn, Genesis, etc.

Okay.

Scart cables are still available for Sega platforms. Check

I’m understanding that the DVDOEdge may not be the best overall for my more immediate concerns (retro, and Sega Saturn and Dreamcast in particular). Check

Oh well, I was considering getting out of the LD business after converting some titles to digital for possible Blu ray burn in the future. I kinda hate lugging around 12" discs. 5" optical is so much more convenient and there’s little on LD and VHS that I really can’t live without… but some digital video conversions are in the future.

It’s still looking like you have to buy a converter of some kind before you hook it up into the SLG3000? I’m not getting the sense that even VGA hook-ups (appearance of scanlines) will work without the SLG3000.

Please forgive the questions but this is very confusing… Just like all the SCSI business for computers was years ago for many people until USB and Firewire became the new standard plug-ins.

I understand about the different between composite, S-Video, and component. Most retros don’t go above S-Video. Very simple plug-in before all the component, VGA, and HDMI business on the hi-def monitors/flatscreens. The Sega consoles are weird with the SCART business (although both have S-video as well). What I do understand is that for TV hook-up the best cables for PS2 and GameCube/Wii are component. This SLG3000 is just for emulating the lines you see in old arcade machines but it doesn’t actually upscale the video from standard definition to hi-definition…?

So, highest-quality video cables for all the retro consoles + a line doubler/converter (DVDOEdge or equivalent) + HD Fury + SLG3000.

I shouldn’t have a voltage/current situation with the SLG3000 in the US (as far as I know) but it looks that if European-only converters are the choice then I’d have to look into getting a voltage (step-up) converter for that, too.

You only need the Fury if the scaler doesn’t output VGA. According to Fudoh, the image quailty of 480p from the Edge/Fury/SLG is very close to the scanlined image of the XRGB-3’s B1 mode. The Edge also has great 480i deinterlacing and good 480p scaling. If you want 240p scaling without scanlines, the XRGB’s B0 mode can’t be beat. The Edge displays ringing artifacts on 240p material. They’re masked if you combine the Edge with the SLG3000 scanlines, though.

You can get RGB scart cables for Saturn, Genesis, SNES. You can mod the NES, TG-16 and N64 for RGB. Some of those are more difficult than others, the NES in particular.