Sakura Option Selects (Updated: 01/17/2012)

EDIT QUICK VIDEO OF WHAT OPTION SELECTS ARE HERE:
[media=youtube]aHHoGHcgK9k[/media]
CREDIT TO: LORDOFULTIMA

TIP A good way of practicing option selects is to go into training mode and set Sakura as second player, and pick whoever you want to practice against as first player. Record the OS you want to practice, then playback and test reversal options with the 1st player character.

I’ve been trying to learn more and more option selects for Sakura and recently Skatan has been posting a lot about option selects against characters or situations that I think it would be a good idea to compile them all together. Mainly as a resource for me to come back to and look as well as a resource for everyone else.

OS Throw + c.HP (Used mainly against dive kicks)

OS

Spoiler

Hold Down Back c.LP + c.LK + c.HP [or c.LK + c.PPP]

c.HP will come out if they dive kick, will tech throw if they throw.[/details]

OS Throw + c.HK (to catch backdashes on their wake-up, credit Skatan)

OS

Spoiler

Hold down back c.LP + c.LK + c.HK [or c.LP + c.KKK]

If they do wakeup backdash you’ll catch him with it.
If they do reversal you’ll block it.
If they do wakeup throw you’ll tech it.
If they do wakeup c.lk you’ll most likely block it.
If they do wakeup focus you get owned, but is unlikely.

OS against empty jump command throws, cross-up, mixups (credit Skatan)

OS

Spoiler

If Abel is mixing you up with xup mk into pressure or empty jump TT/EX TT the best option you’ve got is to option select that mixup.
Basically the option select is block > jump > backdash, you input it in that order.
You want to block just so long so that IF he did j.mk you’ll block it.
IF he did an empty jump you’ll have inputted jump at that point, since it takes longer for Abel to land and do a move than it does for j.mk to get blocked.
After you input the jump you start inputting backdash so that if you blocked j.mk you’ll start backdashing in case he tries to pressure you with a blockstring or if he goes for an instant TT.

Of course Abel has answers to this option select, but that’s only if he’s even aware that it exists and you’re using it.
But this is an option select I figured out myself against Zangief, but it works against any other character as well.
So it shouldn’t be well known.
The option select also works against characters that like to mix you up with jumpin/empty jump throw/empty jump c.lk.[/details]

OS jump-in/dp (credit codallenschmidt/Skatan)

OS

[details=Spoiler]j.HP/HK/MK~HP Shou(input HP Shou before landing) > c.LK > c.LP > c.HP

If they backdash/focus on wake-up you will catch them with HP Shou. On hit/block continue into combo/blockstring.

Alternatively Skatan’s way: j.HP/HK/j.MK~HP Shou > c.LK > HP Shou~c.LP.

HP Shou will come out if they backdash initial jump in or c.LP[/details]

OS against crouch tech (credit skatan)

OS

[details=Spoiler]One nice option select I’ve figured to use against crouch teching is st.lk~hp sho.
Basically it can be done after a jumpin, st.lp or meaty lk shunpu, then you simply walk back just outside of their c.lk range and do it, you need enough frame advantage to be able to walk backwards without getting hit by their c.lk…
If they crouch tech’d they’ll eat st.lk x hp sho, if they stand tech st.lk will whiff but you can punish with a short walkup throw.
If they block st.lk will whiff and you’ve got a good chance to mix them up with either walkup throw or walkup cl.hp/c.hp x lk shunpu.
I’ve been using this in matches for about 2 weeks and it’s been working really great![/details]

OS c.LP/LK~Sweep (useful against backdashes, credit youtube OS vid)

OS

[details=Spoiler]c.LP/LK > c.HK~c.LP/LK

c.LPx2 comes out if they block/get hit, sweep comes out if they backdash.

You can also use it with a jump-in attack. So it would look something like this: j.HP/MK/HK/LK ~c.LP/LK > c.HK~c.LP/LK

I use c.LP but I’m 90% c.LK and c.LP are interchangeable.

OS Bison Teleport (Does not work on Akuma teleport, unsure about Dhalsim teleport, credit mzr30 + obey325 for video)

OS

Spoiler

[media=youtube]UEnpmh1pSE4[/media]
[media=youtube]db8t-1WSehA[/media]

cr.LK ~ ???+LP+KK ~ c.HP ~ EX Tatsu

If they teleport, catch them with EX Tatsu or HK tatsu without bar. On block go into block string, on hit go into BnB.

Reminder: it might be better to react with HP shou, use wisely.

OS against Bison reversals (credit tokimonsta, and whoever came up with the Abel OS for Bison cause it’s based off of that)

OS

[details=Spoiler]NOTE You can get punished if he does nothing on wake-up, so only use if you think he’s reversal happy*
jump back HK on his wakeup.
if he does (EX) Psycho Crusher input fierce DP to punish.
if he does (EX) Scissor, pretty much free combo.
NOTEIf you don’t do j.HK you get 2 more frames to punish.
if he does (EX) Devils Reverse, you will hit him out of it.
if he does (EX) Stomp, you will hit him out of it.

Not an OS but a Bonus option against Bison reversals
Meaty LK Tatsu (credit DanielRGT, and Wonder_chef for the video)
[media=youtube]3vxpcDECUNM[/media]

LK Shunpu Pressure OS (credit Skatan)

OS

[details=Spoiler]Since as we all know LK Shunpu is 0 on block, Sakura can keep pressuring afterwards.
What a lot of people tend to do to avoid that pressure is they either jump, or backdash.
Jumping is strictly forbidden since pretty much anything Sakura does after lk shunpu will catch them on the ground and gives her a combo. But if someone backdashes, if you didn’t read the backdash then they’re getting out for free pretty much.
So I went into training mode a few days ago to solve this, since we are at 0 I thought there would definitely be some option select to catch that backdash, but I also didn’t want to give up her pressure, so I figured out some that do both against most of the cast. Basically the way you set this up is you do something like cl.hp x lk shunpu or whatever, anything where the normal that you’re option selecting from will reach.

st.LK x HK Shunpu/Hadoken os~ MP/HP Shooken
HP Sho works best against:
(Works against most characters with a backdash slower than 27f)
C.Viper, Deejay, Hakan, Honda, Juri, Ken, Makoto(uncancelled backdash), Rufus, Ryu, Sagat, T.Hawk, Zangief

MP Sho works best against:
(Works against most characters with a backdash slower than 23f)
Adon and Cody

c.LP x HK Shunpu/Hadoken os~ MP/HP Shooken
Everyone except: Adon, Chun, Claw Cammy, Cody, Fuerte, Makoto (uncancelled backdash), Rose
MP Sho works best against:
Fuerte

st.LP x HK Shunpu/Hadoken os~ MP/HP Shooken
(works against everyone with a backdash slower than 22f)
Adon, Cammy, Chun*, Claw, Cody, Gen, Makoto*, Rose*

• To option select against these characters you have to do it after cl.mk x lk shunpu, otherwise they will be able to block hp sho.

Here’s how I input the option select, example:
st.lk, qcb + hk, srk + hp
The idea is that if st.lk hits/gets block you get hk shunpu, but if it whiffs you get hp shooken[/details]

OS Video against Honda/Chun/Dictator/Rose/Cody wakeups by codallenschmidt

OS

Spoiler

[media=youtube]qoVA8gqcFVk[/media]

OS Video against Rose by AfterDarkgaming

OS

[details=Spoiler]
This is from Vanilla but should still be applicable
[media=youtube]uAa3BGgkI3s[/media][/details]

OS Video against Fei Long by ByR

OS

Spoiler

[media=youtube]Pa34ekb2nrg[/media]

OS against Blanka wake-up (credit dragonballjoseph)

[details=Spoiler]This is an OS I use against blanka’s wake-up.
c.short > c.jab~c.fierce > c.fierce.

Usually best in the corner. It basically prevents him from wake-up rainbow ball and electricity. If he does ex rainbow ball, you’ll hit him out with c.fierce. Loses to wake up ultra, ex up ball, and ex horizontal ball. But with ex up ball, you can punish on hit with fierce shouken anywhere on teh screen, and pretty much no one wakes up with ex horizontal ball.[/details]

OS against Viper Wake-up with U1

[details=Spoiler]But, against Viper on wakeup, you can do:
cr.lp~qcb,qcb+KKK (Ultra 1)

If it’s blocked Ultra won’t come out. If Viper does any burn kick, she’ll eat an Ultra. If she backdashes, she’ll eat an ultra. If she does EX seismo, she’ll eat an Ultra.

It loses to HP Thunder Knuckle or Viper wakeup Ultra 1, but those are risky so she won’t be doing that too often.

It also loses to EX Seismo feint (your ultra will come out, but Viper will be able to block it). <-- Worst case scenario.

So, use wisely.

Viper’s burn kick is off the ground on the first frame, which is very troublesome for Sakura (she does her damage when the opponent is on the ground, not in the air). So, if your opponent likes to reversal burn kick, or bashdash a lot, give this a shot. Or, if Viper has no meter and can’t EX Seismo (and, therefore, can’t EX Seismo feint)

Feel free to test it out, and tell me if it works for you, too.[/details]
I’m going to scour forums to find more, or please add more to the thread and I will edit first post. Option selects are very key in SF4 imo and the more we have the stronger Sakura will become.

Dang, nice compiled list so far, got to learn and add these into my gameplay. Thanks for the post!

if u are jumping in for an attack and if people are dashing on wakeup or teleporting, and not akuma, or theyre reversal moves them away from u ( rufus, and cammy ive noticed this happening) u can jump in with your attack of choice but right after u initiate the attack put it the command for hp shou and when u land go for the combo of your choice. if u hit u continue to combo and if u miss because of one of the mentioned reasons or more u will find them and punish them for playing like a jerk. i found this to be really good deterent and people will learn they cant just get away for free anymore. oh and as a safety percausion if u miss your cross over and u tech throw like always instead u can option select ex shou and punish that gay stuff too lol

Since we’re talking about OS, here’s another post by Skatan that could be helpful:

just for the record

OS Throw + c.HK (to catch backdashes on their wake-up, credit Skatan)
Code:

Hold Down back c.LP + KKK
Works too
easier since it one button less to press.

same for

OS Throw + c.HP (Used mainly against dive kicks)
Code:
Hold Down Back c.LP + c.LK + c.HP
Hold Down Back c.LK + PPP

btw.
[media=youtube]lCP1sVYUxGQ[/media]

About teleport option selects, I don’t like using those at all.
It’s much better to just react to the teleport with hp sho or something than option selecting, especially against Dictator because he can just as well do ex scissor or ex psycho crusher.

Added in OS jump-in~DP and OS against crouch tech.

@freetgy: I don’t use PPP or KKK buttons so I didn’t put it in but I will add in that tip when I get back from class today.

@Skatan: I see, will also add in as advice when I get back from class.

Great job compiling all of these TOKi. Looks like I’ve got some more training to do.

aaaah yeah i love it when people do work for me. :slight_smile:

Jokes aside, very nice stuff. Very, very, nice. Thank you for taking the time to organize it.

Edit:
Oh god, if you havent seen the new Crouch Tech Plink / Double Plink Vid, ( [media=youtube]lCP1sVYUxGQ&feature=player_embedded[/media] )

then oh lawd the possibilities.

I was wondering if it was possible to do the Crouch Tech / c.hp OS, but throw a crouch tech plink in there. It is.

So yeah, im lookin at some of these myself, but it’s options outta options and plinks on plinks!

Added in c.LP/LK~Sweep OS.

@dogy: So you input it, c.LP + c.LK + c.HP ~ c.LP + c.LK + c.MP?

i was doing c.lp + c.lk + c.hp ~~ c.lp + c.lk + c.hp + c.hk.

Dunno how practical it is, but I just get crazy ass ideas when I see new shit.

I used the Abel OS this weekend. Have yet to really wrap my head around some of the others just yet, at least not to the point where I’d use 'em in a match.

Good looks regardless, I can see a lot of those doing a lot of good.

In Destin’s guide, in the section against Ken, it says that st.lk will beat everything he has if he tries to pressure after a step kick, and I’ve used this successfully a few times. Wouldn’t it be possible, therefore, to st.lk x hp shou after Ken’s f.mk? Of course, Ken would would have to be far enough that your lk wouldn’t connect to his hitbox or he might block all of it. I haven’t tested this but it sounds reasonable.

It’s probably better to do ch st.lk, c.mk x hp sho if you’re counter hitting him, or st.lk, st.lk x hp sho if you’re close enough for that to work.

That’s a good idea; I’ve actually been practicing s.lk, c.mk on CH since I use that in blockstrings sometimes.

why add the c.mk in there? why not just go st.lk xx hp shou directly?

I’d assume to hitconfirm.

I was watching a Tokido (very well known Akuma) game on the replay channel and noticed he was using a cross up option select (I watch with inputs on). Basically he would cross up mk on wakeup, then press sweep (before landing) and lp in rapid succession. If they dash out of the xup, the sweep comes out, otherwise the lp does. The timing isn’t too difficult but it took me a few minutes to get used to it.

Sakura’s shou is probably a better choice, but I thought this should be mentioned for completeness.

Edit: Obviously the lp can be substituted for whatever else. I was using cr.lk. Also, I don’t know the startup for s.rh, but I think that would probably work instead of sweep.

Thanks Toki great post. I cant wait to get home to practice these.

A simple one against Abel,

On his wakeup Abel with meter will EX TT or EX Roll when you jump in on him.
Jump in on his wake up with HP/HK/MK right before you land press st.lp+lk.
if he uses EX roll or EX TT you’ll throw him, if he doesn’t you’ll land the HP/HK/MK and you can continue a blockstring