Sailor Moon S - Arcana Heart? We know thee not. The All-Girls Fighter of kings. (Discord in OP)

Sorry, I got busy last weekend. Just PM me when you want to play and we’ll work something out.

If it was by color Moon would be at the top. Try actually translating the names and putting the numbers in order next time.

Still don’t get why nobody plays Super S instead. Is Saturn a bad character or something?

Nah, she’s probably one of the best (in my opinion). She has ok normals, 2 ground projectiles, and a very nice air projectile. A big weakness she has is that you can block the last hit of her desperation move, so she never deals full damage with it.

I have an idea as to why no one plays it, but it’s probably wrong. I wish there was some info on a Japanese forum or something.

Personally I think most everyone in s got weaker in super s, minus uranus and maybe pluto. If I’m reading the move list right, pluto is the only one who didn’t have a move replaced. But a lot of pivotal moves got removed imo, like mercury’s charge projectile and moon’s heart projectile, that move combined with her forward dash makes for solid mixups.

Jupiter may be similar, but oak evolution was a solid projectile, but her air to ground projectile is solid on wakeups, and her spinning kicks and 360 grab is gravy.

Only characters I didn’t try were venus and chibi. Neptunes charge projectile is crap.

Wait, neptune has no removal either, bur her addition is still trash.

One obvious change in Venus is that she lost her highly-duckable Crescent Beam and gained the horrible-startup-yet-still-duckable Love and Beauty Shock.

Yeah, Venus’s entire gameplan revolved around corner pressure anyway. Get them into the corner, keep them there with love me chain, and that weird AA projectile. on top of that, her dhalsim like HP. If someone were to rely on her horizontal projectile, they’re playing her wrong.

I see Crescent Beam as more of a defense in projectile wars rather than an attack plan; it’s nice to have in that case. But you’re right that she’s all about corner lockdown.

Right. More a defensive measure than anything, which is nullified by the startup in super s.

Uranus didn’t get a removal either, but her new attack isn’t exactly useful.

Chibi is still the same cept her desperation got changed to one with high startup but hits you anywhere on the screen.

Everyone cept Pluto, Uranus, and Neptune (and maybe Mars) basically got nerfed. That may be why people don’t play Super S that much. That and I read on a guide that Saturn could chain her desperation into her desperation, but I’ve never managed to do that.

Yeah I think the inners got the nerf hammer easily. The outers had no real changes for the better or worse. Saturn was pretty stupid. If I had to guess, competitive matches boiled down to saturn vs. Uranus.

So when you see the super s and realize it did hardly anything except make the inners much less playable, save Venus if she gets in, and I can see why s gets the playtime.

Bious, I don’t know if you got my messages, but I got sailor moon working with zsnes 1.41. If you want to give it a try later let me know

Signed,
Everybody

As far as I know, 1.51 is the only version that has problems with S. Oddly enough, it runs Super S just fine.

Yeah, that’s the version I had, and it would just sit after selecting characters looping ghe char select music.

S works perfectly fine in 1.41, which is coincidentally the last version of zsnes that had netplay enabled. The only problem I have is the sound being distorted, but that’s a minor complaint, I have no slowdown issues or bugs.

Snes9k just won’t work for me. Either it has massive slowdown, or projectiles just randomly will be invisible (either 1p or 2p, never both at the same time).

Signed,
Everybody

Bump.

So I finally found a SNES, modded it, and have been playing this the way it’s meant to be played.

Working on a full-on FAQ regarding this game, trying to capture everything I can and know about it. If you guys have any input, let me know.

Also, Bious, we still need to try to play.

Looking forward to it, Missing Person! I have the Super S version of this game which is a lot of fun but this thread’s got me interested in grabbing the S version. I’d be willing to stream some matches from the SNES some night, too. Watching some of these videos and reading this thread I think we have a ways to go as far as understanding the game, so your FAQ will help a ton, thanks again.

Thanks! I keep disseminating and dissecting all the information available on this game, and learning on my own.

Tonight, I was trying to see if Jupiter’s air projectile could be TK’d. I got it once on accident, haven’t been able to replicate it. You can do it low to the ground without trying to TK it, but you have to be insanely quick and accurate with the motions…almost like Juri’s dive kick.

But then I rewatched this:

[media=youtube]0iocMIrHOPg]YouTube - [Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S match[/media]

First (most obvious) to note is the use of Uranus’s infinite. Apparently Japan either doesn’t ban it and doesn’t think she’s broken with it, or it’s soft banned because they think that it’s (again) not game breaking. You have to get it hit in a specific circumstance to get it, and the Uranus player has to be really precise. But yeah, it’s painful if it gets connected.

The other thing I really saw used was (Gasp!) dash cancels into aerial specials. With this, it’s almost like “why waste time trying to TK Jupiter’s ground projectile when she can do it + gain some invincibility frames on the jump?”

So I’ll be practicing that tonight. Some other small things of note that I already learned:

-Any connected normal (blocked or hit) can be cancelled into pretty much any special or a dash. Great for protection.
-And WTF Moon crossup gimmicks!

I’m getting a capture card in the mail soon, and my group’s going to start doing streams when we get together. We’re also intending on doing it danizen style, and want to implement viewer’s choice for like an hour each night, so pretty much anything out of our collection is fair game.

This means Sailor Moon S, since I have it on SNES, and now have a SNES cable for my MC Cthulhu modded Saulabi. Controllers FTL.

So when we start this, get to voting if you want to see some Sailor Moon S matches.

EDIT: Just got the Jupiter DC Coconut Cyclone. Only took about 2 minutes to figure it out. Key thing to watch for is to do it near the end of the dash. Doing it early results in zero results. Might post up a video explanation later.

=====

Sigh, if only there were good netplay options for this. :sad:

Just found and added 3 new videos of Japanese casual matches to the media section. Check them out!

Sadly, with the current order of things in Nippon, this may the last high level play we see of this game for a while. :sad:

i want to get into this game.

is it available on anything else besides super famicom?

Just the Super Famicom. There’s other Sailor Moon fighters available on the 3DO, PS1, and Saturn, but all of them are import only titles, and none of them are really any good. This game is the competitive standard for Sailor Moon fighters. However, you can honestly find this one on the cheap on eBay from Japan (I picked up mine for $8 IIRC), and modding a SNES to play Super Famicom games is super easy, I don’t know how anyone could screw it up. So you might look into that.

There’s also emulators, but they tend to suffer from slowdown. However, if there was a good SNES emulator with great netplay, I’d be all over that.

Yea, I don’t want to buy a SFC/SNES. If I buy that then I’ll open an entirely new can of “games I absolutely have to buy again”.

Maybe Hell will freeze over and they’ll make a new game or XBLA port. I know I’m dreaming but I mean Deathsmiles saw a North America release so it could happen!