Ryu's Gameplan

Hi SRK i’m working on a Character’s Guide and have worked a lot on it, but have failed in writing a exaustive section about Ryu’s general gameplan, I know he is good at defense and punishing and generaly balance to adjust to many match-ups but i need more info on this area. Thanks

In general, Ryu suffers from a lack of tools that let you take the initiative which forces him to be very reactive to what your opponent is doing. Anything Ryu can do, almost anyone else can do better (or make up for a lack of tool with another tool)

The only real way to play Ryu is focus on being as “solid” as possible. This means not rushing in a madman, nor does it mean being a turtle. Fundamentally, it means taking what your opponent gives you without over-extending yourself (or at the bare minimum taking risks that are in your favor)

You may want to give further explanation on what you are looking for.

Thanks for your reply. I’m looking for what the player must tend to do during the match with the character, for instance Zangief gameplan is to get as fast as possible inte the opponent to mix him up with headbuts and command grabs, Chun-Li can play from the mid-range with her normals, while M. Bison’s Gameplan is to go for heavy pressure to force to opponent to make mistakes like attacking in disadvantage, or Guile that can aim to play the zoning and get off me game, in that sense i would like to known what, as a player, I must aim to do with Ryu, of course all is relative to match ups but there is always a general strategy.

Ryu has no “gameplan” as his tools are not strong enough to enforce one. Get used to playing the counter puncher role.

Thanks, I belive that Ryu’s gameplan is that precisely, to wait and counter the opponent strategy.

Prayer which won’t be answered, that’s the gameplan.

Here is the gameplay, you are welcome:

Holy crap, Ryu is so bad. This game is just not good, but shit, Ryu is especially terrible. What the fuck is the srk even for outside of combos? Certainly not counters or anti air, the former doesn’t work at all and the latter you’re lucky if you even clash.

The way the game emphasizes just mashing priority and meaty mindlessly is disgusting. Many characters just sit in front of you and wail away knowing anything you press outside of gambling an ex srk (if you even have it) will lose. The closest Run can get to that is s.lk to stuff some things but it is a far cry from what others do.

Game plan is don’t use Ryu or maybe play at all, I think I’m getting there.

Everyone else here hit it on the head…Ryu just has to wait and let his opponent take the initiative, and then counter whatever strategy his opponent moves forward with.

Because characters in SFV lack the flexibility to pursue an extensive number of strategies, the above idea usually translates into an uphill battle in many matchups. Characters who can run their gameplan that is simply difficult to deal with is…what you have to deal with. Birdie or Zangief for example can use their fast, long range, difficult to punish pokes to walk you into a corner and maul you.

To force something unsafe from his opponent, Ryu must generally try to play unsafe first. Throwing a fireball to bait a jump, for example, is very risky due to how punishing jump-in combos are, but throwing that fireball is one of your few reliable tools to influence the neutral game.

Ryu is all about maximizing on every opportunity that presents itself, because opportunity is scarce. Using his parry to “force” an opportunity can be useful, but again, requires that Ryu sticks his neck out and do something very punishable, and it’s even worse now because a whiffed parry baiting a jump won’t recover in time to DP and instead you eat a jump-in (so dumb).

He has no real safe feeling approach to the neutral, so it’s up to you to find a safe path through the strategy your opponent puts forth, and you can really only do that once your opponent has revealed their hand.

edit
I made this post because it looks like the other posters are not trying to force anything. I definitely try to force my game. I typically fight counter characters, so I can’t just play solid and hope to win. I’ll lose control of the match too often. I try to keep footsies range and threaten to dash in as hard as possible…

General consensus is that Ryu’s game plan is to hit character select and choose someone better. Now, if you are not going to do that, here is what my Ryu general gameplan is…

AA in footsies
Step 0
Make sure you can dp after you throw out your poke buffer in footsies…

Slow down your opponent’s button pushing through proper footsies in order to use Ryu’s SFV dash:
Step 1a
Basically, you are just pressing buttons where the only time you will hit your opponent is if they are attacking too. This is your rock paper scissors stage. You want to put out enough buttons to discourage dashing in, but you don’t want to be predictable and get your button beat (especially crush countered). This means that you have to put out fake attacks, which is usually light attacks. Whiff punishing a sweep or beating out your opponent’s favorite attack leads to pressure…
Step 1b
If you are better then your opponent or they are trying to reaction your normals, they will push less buttons and you can pressure. It’s time to dash in… Your opponent will want to discourage dash ins after that. If they are afraid to play footsies and only press lights to discourage dashes, use a fireball to slow that shit down. Keep your fireballs to a discouragement of anti dash in tactics… Dash or Fireball is the game Ryu wants to play…
Step 1c
If they they are better than you at footsies (because of skill or character counter), you gotta risk sweep more… You basically want to discourage movement. Once you get your opponent to guard his feet, he is slightly nerfing himself in walk speed and you have to use this to your advantage. You need to use the fear of being swept to maximize your walking speed in the footsies game. An opponent who guards their feet is not moving, you can begin to play footsies again or Ryu’s favorite game, fireball or dash in. If their sweep is longer then your’s be aware of this strategy to lock down your movement. Stay out of sweep range, neutral jump, perform a jump in to counter their sweep attempt or block and punish… There’s a couple of things you can do, learn them…
Step 1d
You can’t footsie them all. While world class players like Daigo can command enough respect that a cammy won’t just cannon spike 4 times in a row to get in, you have to prove yourself. Between footsies, their dashes and free dives, good luck. In matchups like this, unpredictability is going to be your best bet. Silly things like dashing in immediately or random jump ins help to overwhelm your opponent’s focus on their own strategy…

NOTE ABOUT STEP 1
Denjin Mode is great for playing fireball or dash. Just try it and you’ll see what I mean… Hint, fireball knockdown is broken…

Corner your opponent
Step 2a
The fireball trap still works. Meaty wake up fireball into another is usually not punishable in any way and can lead to you gaining a ton of ground from far enough away. V trigger is pretty bad for this as the light fireball goes super fast. Putting your opponent in the corner is just as good as mixing them up. It’s ok to use combos that put your opponent across the screen, just make sure you are doing max damage. Footsies damage is more meaningful if you are hitting your optimal combos during pressure conversions…
Step 2b
There are characters you can’t corner, so just use combos that lead back into pressure. Save max damage for kills. You want them to have as little control of their character as possible.

Once you throw or push yourself out, go back to step 1
step 3
throws reset to neutral and ryu’s weak pressure does too. You have to get used to winning neutral (playing step 1) a lot if you want to play Ryu…

That was my general gameplan stuff. Learn tricks and techniques to increase your time pressuring turns or steal turns from your opponent. Learn how to block string and counter string. Make sure you can hit confirm off of those. Go learn your matchups… All that good stuff…

Finally,
this is why Ryu sucks. He has to play neutral often, but isn’t very strong at it. Also, he gets little reward from pressure because his only threat to blocking is throw. Throw resets to neutral which ryu is only ok at… If you fight another ryu, take the throw and body him in neutral…

TL;DR
Play footsies, stay solid…

^ What footsies? You mean nubbies.

Right now the gameplan is to wait until season 3 arrives

Fixed that for you.