Ryu Season 2

Cammy, Balrog, and rashid are all a tough MU for ryu, and these MUs all got worse

Cammy actually got better, ex divekick height restriction got higher, and is negative above waist, they gonna stay more grounded, and i never felt like Balrog was a bad MU, gonna suck not being able to punish dash straight, but Ryu can fight him with his normals just fine, Rashid gonna be bad… at least they increased the recovery on cr.hp, to be easier to whiff punish, and his st.hk is punishable now.

These nerf hurt

Daigo agrees with me… nerfs are too much… Ryu got rekt.

Daigo thinking of choosing Urien or Guile as his main.

Did not feel this new Ryu yesterday when I played for a few hours.

Yeah, i tried to be optimist, but after playing a lot, new Ryu didn’t felt good at all, he was too reliant on his throws to keep pressure, and they got nerfed hard.

I did like being able to destroy Cammy though :). I will probably change character. I decided to main Ryu as i wanted to learn fireball game and play “real” sf.

I played for several hours last night. He got nerfed harder than I originally thought. The universal nerfs along with all the nerfs to his normals and specials really add up. He’s always been balanced around the idea that he had a invincible reversal and a fireball to zone. They gutted his DP and his fireball actually got a little worse. And he was given a bunch of useless buffs that don’t help him in any areas he was weak in.

I just don’t get it. If his zoning was really strong then I could understand. But it’s not that strong and practically every character has ways around fireballs, even other fireball characters. What is Ryu suppose to do now? I’d gladly take st. HP being cancelable at all times over all these useless buffs that he has now.

Man I’m bummed. I don’t think Ryu will be viable in S2 and Daigo better switch if he really wants to do well next year. I’ll keep playing him because I’ve always played Ryu. But I’ll probably be playing a lot less next year compared to this year.

The more i play the more i wish stHP special cancellable was a thing of standard Ryu, without need VT mode

Also HP SRK imho should have not been dmg nerfed

My simple wishlist is all about stHP lol:

-st HP ever special cancellable
-st HP of MP->HP target combo ever special cancellable
-st HP on CC to work as in early beta

problem is every time they give him some new option they feel the need to nerf dmg so fuck it, one of fun things of Ryu is being n hard hitter

These nerfs hurt for sure. I spent last night playing Ryu and found myself almost crying myself to sleep afterwards. I missed his throw pressure and dp invincibility. :bawling:

Desk did a combo video that I saw this morning though that has me convinced that I need to stick it out, even if just to style with him. I think I might.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFWauiErg0](Desk Revives Hope for the Faithful)

I had almost the exact same experience. I even dreamt about the whole thing, haha. I lost about 1500 LP last night. I also saw the Desk video this morning and while it’s cute, it provided zero comfort for my heart, as combos are not Ryu’s problem. The problem is how to get close enough to land them. Last night I just couldn’t get in, zone out or even play neutral. Whenever I did get in, which is how I like to play, the new system pushed me away from my opponent. And I don’t see the point of nerfing his reversal DP. I mean, even when it was invincible, one could just make a read, block and super-punish it.

Anyways… I guess I’ll keep playing from time to time and hope for better changes in 2018. Meanwhile, I’ll keep my emotional energy for Tekken 7.

I agree. Combos are NOT Ryu’s problem.

Getting in IS a problem and with Ryu’s stubby normals, we are going to have to learn how to play out of our minds much more often. Looking at it from a more holistic approach, it seems we may have to play very defensively and punish accordingly, once given the opportunity. Although mind’s eye was nerfed, I am gonna experiment with this to see if there is something I can do to use this a bit more. I know I will get rekt’d once I get baited but I just find myself now lost when trying to get out of situations where we would have once mp dp’d.

Sigh

TBH, when Ryu got nerfed from SFIV to SSFIV, my only complaint was that he now had a 2-hit MP and HP Shoryuken, which makes no sense for the character, but I accepted the rest of the changes and went with it. But this… Maybe the whole thing is still too fresh and I’ll get around it eventually, but as of today, he feels almost like a completely different character.

Play it more… I was frustrated to the bin I nearly thrashed my stick but it is what it is… I’m now getting used to it and adjusting…Not too bad… Just slower play…

I agree with the completely different character comment. I really need to adjust. Just waiting to get off from work to hit the lab.

Will definitely take your advice.

Durant - main issues is not with the extended frame times but also the longer block and hit stuns durations. The latter , esp block stun makes the game.crawl.

But we’ll, we will.get through it!

In the words of the late Christopher Hitchens, “I have no choice”.

I definitely will play it more, but it’s nice to have this support group for Season 2 Ryu players. That’s how the thread should be called.

Is Ryu’s fireball that much worse? I saw that they added one frame of startup but removed one frame of recovery. Should theoretically be better for mid-range poking, no?

All fireballs have the same recovery now if I remember. lp FB actually had a frame less than medium and two frames less than fp. Now all are the same as mp although I think all speeds remain the same (did not notice difference).

-Agreed about the first part, I said the same thing.

-I didn’t say the 2nd part, but I thought about it. That would actually be a very useful buff since the st. HK doesn’t hit crouching.

-Again I would love this change but their is no way Capcom would give us full combo potential. The st. HK already fills that void while not hitting croucher’s as a drawback. What I’d like to see for st. HP as a CC is for it to work like the 1st video did, but maybe it only has something like 16f of advantage with the push back. So all you get is HK tatsu unless you’re in the corner where you can land more damaging combos.

I could live with this Ryu if he had good buffs like this or maybe MK tatsu hitting crouchers like it did during the beta. But stuff like solar plexus being +8 or air tatsu having super juggle capabilities don’t mean anything. They don’t even open up more possibilities. It just gives us a different way to do what Ryu could already do before which is really disappointing. Variety for the sake of variety is basically the theme of S2 Ryu.