Ryu Q&A Thread

I get to 3000 points without knowing tatsu crosses over lol.

Show me the way, Sempai. I’m getting to 1.1k, back down to 950, back to 1.1, bouncy bouncy. Terribad.

Dunno I just play conservatively and go ham when they’re afraid.

I play conservatively until I get a knockdown and then pressure them.

Mix up walking back and zoning with dashing/walking forward and trying to put poke them. On knockdow , drive them back.

Remember you do have a roflcopter of sorts with your air Tatsu. Just do it right after you peak in your jump-arc.

Besides that, if you’re getting pressured in the corner remember you can always V-Reversal and escape.

Thank you all for the respond!

I also need help on how to zone people out and not allowing opponent to close in so easily. I believe my weakness is unable to keep opponent in a distance.

Which DP is the best against meatys on wake up? I’m finding my dps getting stuffed by normals or maybe its just my execution.

Mp has the most invincibility at 6 frames total body and starts up in 4 frames. LP starts up one frame quicker at 3 frames but has 3 frames of invincibility only the lower body. HP is 5 frames, 3 frames of invincibility. In other words LP and HP are going to lose to St.MP, Axe kick etc and may even lose in other situations if you just screw up your timing obviously.

EX is 3 frames and 15 frames of Invincibility.

Lp is your best quick punisher in tight spots with the start up.
MP is your best reversal and AA
HP is your best Combo due to the damage

EX is obviously the muts nuts in any situation.

I may be completely wrong but I don’t think Ryu is that good at keeping people at a distance in SFV. Everyone seems to have a good response to non-V-triggered fireballs. I’m doing better with him at medium range, with the occasional rushdown.

The advice about V-reversal is important; I always forget about it when I’m being pummeled. V-skill, too, since you can parry most attacks and stay in place. For example, if you tend to anti-air with your heavy kick, you need to stay at a certain range so you might walk backwards to keep that distance. But if you can parry a jump-in and counter, you don’t have to walk backwards.

(disclaimer: I am also a terribad player, and only playing Ryu in order to learn the basics.)

Does any one else but me feels like Ryu is bottom 2-3 character? The only character that does not outrange me is Ken, or atleast that is how i feel. Im strugling to like this game cause of its cast being very uninteresting to me. As a Sagat/Ken fan ( RIP Ken ) I am not liking any one but Ryu aestheticly. I feel like the only way to get in is by a lucky jump in otherwise i am getting poked to death with this miserablr cr.mk range. I mean for example if Karin sweeps me from max range there is nothing I can do to punish her. I was thinking of tatsu but the fastest one LK is 10 frame startup which is the same as the recovery of the sweep? Even if it is abit faster than the recovery it probanly takes 1-2 frames to input so … Idk i am really having hard time against poke characters and given the fact that 90% of the cast does not care about fireballs I am having hard time to like this game given the current state of the roster :frowning:

You gotta be ballsy and dash in sometimes. A lot of the cast has longer reaching normals so to get in you have to work a little harder. Or you can try punishing their normals if they whiff them at max range.

You gotta be ballsy and dash in sometimes. A lot of the cast has longer reaching normals so to get in you have to work a little harder. Or you can try punishing their normals if they whiff them at max range.
[/quote]

And how do i do that if my max range is shorter than theirs?

The basic idea behind whiff punishing is that you hit the opponent while they are in recovery for a missed move.

If Ken tosses out a sweep and misses, Ken doesn’t instantly bring his leg back to his body once the active (hitting) frames are over. During the recovery animation, Ken will still have his leg out and vulnerable. You either take that time to hit the increased vulnerable space of your opponent or you take that time to move forward and gain ground.

if you just c.forward (x fireball), DP anti-airs, and know how to punish main opponent moves, you can easily get to silver range

as for not getting pushed into corner, the only way is for you to MOVE FORWARD. people get afraid of footsies and walk back to throw fireballs or play passive, but that’s exactly how you get pushed into the corner

one mental exercise i used to do in sf4 is to consider your half of the screen as ‘your territory’, and do the best you can to keep your opponent out of it. don’t be afraid to walkup, c.forward and push them back.

corner game is SICK in this game - better than 3s or cvs2… so try to not get stuck there. if you do, look for a well-timed jumpout (aka, CROSSUP or just jump+tatsu) or backthrow to get THEM cornered, or slowly inch forward and make room again with fast normals

good luck!

Simple advice. Hit them before they hit you. In other words keep steady pressure and break the idea of holding back. Stay on the ground as much as possible. it makes jumping in easier.

Your best poke reaches further than anyone’s in the game - fireball.

Sit outside sweep range - throw staggered plasma, AA jumps - they will come to you.

Hurtboxes are huge in this game and Ryu is one of the few characters that gets legit okizeme on knockdown.
I think he’s a great character and will become more valuable over time, if he doesn’t catch the nerfbat.

I mean, frankly, you learn to play well, Blufley! Look at what good Ryu players are doing, and model that play. You see them making their way in with well-placed fireballs and the full range of Ryu’s poke options, not just cr.MK. Ryu isn’t actually outranged by most of the cast, that’s just your impression because you’re probably not spacing or timing your buttons well right now.

Also note Highland’s comment - Ryu can play very well defensively too, so practice doing that.

Agreed. Also, are you NaughtySenpai on PSN? I think me and my friend played against you a couple of times last night, ggs! (I was Wulfsten)

Yeah, that’s me.
I can remember that name, but I don’t have any details remembered cuz damn I play way too much.

I’m terrible and all, but no he doesn’t feel weak to me in the slightest. He does terrific amount of damage and stun, and when he scores a knockdown, your opponent should rightly be scared. In addition, v-canceling with him is super powerful – I’ve just started using it, but it’s allowed me to win agaisnt a couple players who I felt were better than me.