Ryu Q&A Thread

If you can do the step forward consistently without getting overhead youd go cr.HP xx VT -> step forward st.mp -> cr.HP xx DP

Takes some practice though, i do st.HK -> st.LK

Ah thanks, didn’t know St.MP -> Cr.HP was a thing after it. I’ll try it.

Hey guys I’m not really sure what I should be using super meter on, is it basically just saving up for super/maximizing combos on crouching opponents with ex tatsu?

Help me out here –

Parry vs. V-Reversal.

With how good V Trigger is for Ryu for comboing and general awesome, someone help me out on when V-Reversal is useful. This seems doubly true in light of parry existing.

For his Critical Art, usually in the final round- or second round if you’re one round down. Early in the round is nice 'cos you’ll get to rebuild your meter, late is nicer if it’s going to end the game…

For other uses- ex.fireball in the earlier stages of the game/any matchup where you feel zonal superiority is going to be more beneficial than the potential of a big damage score all in one go. Those matchups are out there (Gief, Birdie just 2 examples). Other than that if you simply aren’t stocked with 3 meters and want to score big damage then that’s when you should be looking to use ex.tatsu/ex.srk.

The pushback on the VR is the only real advantage, but it’s quite a big one for reestablishing control which is really important in some matchups. It also doesn’t have the strict timing requirements that parry has, and you aren’t obligated to hit a combo to score the pushback after you’ve landed it like you do with parry. It’s actually useful for dealing with say Chun-Li’s VT when all her hits are doubled and parrying becomes extreeeemely risky and her pressure game gets strong, same can be said for Cammy with some of her moves gaining multiple hits. And a lot of FANG’s normals seem to be multi-hit as well, and he’s a character that struggles outside of the mid-range.

I definitely don’t use it enough.

Thanks, that makes sense, especially vs. Chun where I get the “GET THE HELL OFF ME” sensation.

Similar question about Ryu’s target combo – Most videos I see people do cr.mp, cr.mp, special much more than the target. I think target is more damage? What am I missing?

Does anyone know if doing a meaty F.HP or B.HK increases the frame advantage on block?

Target combo Roundhouse ender wiffs on crouching opponents. Crouching MP also has frame trap potential, but you’re probably seeing it alot because its easier to do.

Back in one of the betas, Ryu could get a combo off F. MP if the second hit would be meaty.
I don’t know if that still works and if Ryu’s cr. LP is still fast enough to benefit this scenario.

As far as I can tell, that was removed.

Ryu would only be +3 on a perfectly meaty 2nd hit on the f.MP overhead. s.LP, LP Shoryuken and EX Shoryuken would be your options.

What is good usage of each strength of Ryu’s fireball? I don’t use his MP fireball that much I tend to use the LP and HP. Trying to understand more about the fireballs so I can improve my fireball game.

The biggest thing you want to do is convince your opponent that they can react to the fireball and have your fireballs dictate the long range neutral game. I generally think of them as the following:

:lp: - Slow but forces your opponent to have to be very precise to neutral jump it and they have to care about it the “longest.” Thus you can expect them to probably take an action that is either forward jump (dash in DP to punish if feeling greedy), back jump (If full screen, walk forward to push the screen and have them land on it), V-skill (dash up and gain some ground for giving them some V-meter), block (move in and gain space), or a work around move (just gain some ground.) If you opponent only uses 1 or 2 options to get around it, think about what you can do to take advantage of it.

:hp: - Works best after letting your opponent get accustom to :lp: fire balls. Since they are faster, if you noticed your opponent reacting slowly to your :lp: fireballs, you can use :hp: to see how they react to a harder read. Most people will neutral jump (since a safer option) and you can close the distance safely that way. Otherwise, hopefully you can force them to block and gain some ground. The most important thing with :hp: fireballs is you want to push your opponent to having to make a hard jump read on you. Once they jump, get the :mp: DP ready for them :slight_smile:

:mp: - The least used, but I think this fire ball serves a very specialized purpose. Eventually, your opponent will catch onto you :lp: vs. :hp: variations. You want to use the :mp: fireball to break your opponent’s rhythm on their reactions. Go from :lp: up to :hp: then work back down to :lp: by throwing some :mp: fireballs first. In the heat of the moment, reading fireball speeds means your opponent is not focusing on other things going on screen, so take advantage of that to see how you can use them.

EX - Just don’t throw them out, horrible waste of meter IMO. Really only 2 situations that make sense. Either when you need to guarantee that extra bit of damage to finish a round, or when a knockdown will net you some breathing room. I guess if you are willing to make a hard read on your opponent throwing a fireball and you hitting them with it, but it’s just such a waste of meter. Ryu shines with his CA, and people are best using that for extra damage IMO.

Is there a fireball spacing guide? in 4 i would throw lp fireball at specific ranges knowing i can dp if they jump, what is that range in 5?

About one jump ins distance plus a dash works well for me. I throw a LP Fireball at that range and if they jump in over it I have enough time to dash up and DP. I also like to throw HP Fireballs just outside of their max poke range. Pressures them to make a hard read and preemptively try to jump in. Avoid throwing them if they’re walking forward because they’re extremely likely to jump once they’re in jump range.

Don’t forget that the recovery times are different depending on which fireball you choose to throw out. With Light being the fastest and Heavy being the slowest.

I don’t see many reasons to not use lp hadoken in this game other than mixing it up or making it hard to react up close.
Has the lowest recovery of all fireballs and is identical in everything else, unless the frame data is incorrect.

Caveat – I’m a terribad newbie.

That said –

Just hold your ground.

If not that, then –

[list]
[] Ryu has great dashes, use them.
[
] MK Tatsu crosses over.
[*] Back throw.
[/list]

MK Tatsu does not cross over. HK Tatsu does. Just wanted to point that out.

Thanks, sorry.

Ring finger Tatsu!