Ryu General Thread: Eternal Wanderer

it’s pretty even IMO
good nash players will do the lp MS from mid and long range though to bait your srk but most of the time you can see it in time and AA
the player with the most patience wins usually

Edit: Just tried to st.hk cc on a whiffed EX FK of nash and my st.hk whiffed.

Your thoughts on Ryu, guys?

It’s hilarious to activate VT and just wait. It’s like everybody becomes AE Yun. I don’t know why it works so often but it does.

Zangief Fully Charged St.Hp:

VSkill, St.Hp, VTrigger XX CA

Necalli:

Anything into LK/MK Stomp is not a true string. VSkill, Cr.Hp, VTrigger XX Cr.Hp

You can substitute V Trigger for a special ender if you don’t have V Meter.

M.Bison:

EX V Trigger Headstomp can be punished greatly by VSkill. If you VSkill at the right time, you can punish with F.HP into big damage and stun. Also, if you VSkill the first hit, Bison is put into a huge state of recovery due to the second part of his Headstomp not being active.

Haven’t had to much time to deduce Ryu but on the weekend I’ll grind with him.

As for Nash, play patiently. When you close the gap on him you can trade with his Sonic Boom in your favour.

I’ve struggled a bit. Going to try parrying the moonsaults and then going for d.p as opposed to trying to reaction d.p, i’m pretty sure Nash is positive on block after all versions of m.s (someone correct me if i’m wrong) so once you’ve blocked it’s a pretty unfavourable situation.

Are you sure about this? I recorded c.strong xx LK Valiant as a true string yesterday. Unless you meant HK instead of LK.

Zoning game is unexpectedly very strong. Hits fairly hard. Needs meter for conversions on crouching characters. V trigger is currently better for late round combo extensions than raw activation into zoning. That could change tho if I can find some set ups or decent traps.

Dunno how good. But he’s definately not bad

Thanks for this, super useful. May I ask where you found the data for the total frames of the fireball?

I agree with most of this except VT. I pop it whenever I get it. A lot of times I get two in a round. And it always helps. A lot of times they want to jump so I get a free DP and then pressure, I’ll take it! And when they don’t I can go try to catch them in a guard break or a free fireball. Plus it’s more fun not to save it. If you get a combo going then yeah use it then, but if you have some space it’s a great way to give yourself some momentum back even if you don’t chuck many fireballs with it. Just the mental advantage you gain is worth it.

Don’t know if anyone’s posted this already, but you can link cr.HP after st.MP to force standing, allowing you to combo into tatsu or DP for KD on crouching opponents.

Does anyone know what the properties are on Ryu’s parry? It feels very awkward to use. I’ve been told it has start-up, which feels really weird for a parry, is that true?

Actually just bought the prima guide digital version. It has contrary data to FAT. Says all fireballs have 13f startup but lp-mp-hp is 45/47/48 total frames. Another change that I noticed from FAT is that solar plexus strike is -2 on block, not -5 hm.

Hopefully the SRK wiki will have the final say on accurate frame data.

Man yeah, I just peeped some new frame data. Changes made?

What button do you guys use to poke? Cr Mk feels very short and Cr HK is extremely punishable. Zangief crouch light punch outranges all of my pokes except for cr HK and st MK which comes out too slow :frowning:

You’re right. Although it is St.Lk punishable.

We all know that I’ve been pretty pessimistic about SF:V Ryu’s playstyle and lack of fireball zoning. However, Four Wude has been making a serious case to having me change my opinion about Ryu. I’m completely floored whenever I watch him play up against solid competition, and his Ryu has been nothing short of amazing.

Hopefully this potential is what is to come in the future pertaining to Ryu.

I’m not playing the game yet, but just theory. Can’t you just double parry the boom and moonsault into a DP punish?

Both are slow as hell.

How is everyone dealing with the Chun matchup?

Is there any footage i could see? Im learning some ryu and feel like i get out poked all the time. Dont really know how im meant to play with him lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bghx5lfmytQ

I really don’t know how I feel about Ryu in this game. He’s obviously not BAD, but he’s … I dunno…