Ryu Beginners Thread

I’m trying to figure out the most practical way to punish a whiffed uppercut if you have no advanced combo abilities. Doing a s HK for crush counter just as they land and then target combo does 259 damage. Any other ideas? What’s a more damage combo that’s one step up in difficulty?

I set the dummy to do a reversal throw on wake up and I was trying to hit it with st.MP, but I was eating the dummy throw more often than not. Is this a matter of me still being a complete sucker or is st.MP on their wake up just not a very good move?

CC when they land, walk just a little bit forward, st.MP>cr.HPxxDP

I take it you are a beginner just as I am, and I found that this little sequence was somewhat easy to pull off. It’s deffinitely a step up, but I think it’s a step that you can take. You’ll need some practice, and make sure that by walking forward you don’t accidentally make you st.MP into the forward.MP, which would completely ruin everything.

Yeah I’ve been working on the crHP xx DP, and while I find it incredibly difficult on the player 2 side, it’s somewhat doable on the left side. It seems like an important move in general since it hits crouching characters while tatsu doesn’t. Or maybe tatsu hits crouching as well after the crHP? PS. Yes it does.

I think a lot of this should apply in SFV: http://shoryuken.com/2014/12/23/bafael-covers-the-benefits-of-the-crouching-shoryuken-in-ultra-street-fighter-iv/

cr.HP, if it connects, makes them stand up no matter what.

Thanks, that’s good, and how I’ve been trying to do it. The problem is that on this 360 pad, you can barely press forward while holding down to get the DF. It’s especially bad in the reverse direction. I’ve ordered a hori pad and hopefully that’s better.

Take it from someone that has been doing shoryukens since sf1, it takes practice especially when it comes to cancelling into one. Try plinking if u can’t get it consistently. I haven’t had an issue getting any specials from a normal in a long time but I feel ur pain. I spent many hours in the training room. Sf5 is much easier than the previous titles so be grateful. Best advice I can give u is to input the do and hit the fp twice. Once when ur in the down and the 2nd at the end of the input. Good luck

Your timing is off. Any normal you do on their wakeup, even a lowly jab, beats a wakeup throw if you start your normal at the right time. You need to look for a visual cue when they wake up and get your timing down perfectly.

You might find it easier to do f.HP instead, because that one at least you can start the move outside of their throw range so even if your timing is off you might still whiff their throw and hit them with the f.HP into DP for a nice combo (or if you’re feeling confident go for f.HP, cHP, xx DP for over 300 dmg).

What is the best option for anti air? Is it always DP or are there uses for crouching HP or standing HK? Thanks!

I’m not sure if this belongs in an execution thread, but it is pretty basic and I think would help others here. I am trying to do some simple cancels, and I am having trouble with one specific one. I am trying to do s.lk xx hadoken, which from what I can tell SHOULD work. However, when I set the target dummy to block, the dummy always blocks the hadoken. It also doesn’t really look like it cancels (looks like two discreet motions). I’ve always ( I thought) been able to do cancels, but I’ve always “cheated” the input. For example, when I would cmk xx hadoken, I would press kick at the bottom of my hadoken motion, complete the motion and press the punch, and it was fine (really would do down back so I wouldn’t get a DP). Am I just getting exposed here that I can’t do the full Hadoken fast enough starting from neutral (when I push the lk)? I use a stick, any tips would be appreciated (I also tried on a pad, since there are some things I am flat out faster on a pad at doing, and couldn’t get it to work). Thanks.

Beefchief you are cheating yourself on damage with s. lk xxhado. Do it from st. mp. Much better starter.

You are probably canceling correctly. Try with different normals to see that you are indeed canceling properly.

As a side note, even if you cancel into Hadoken properly from s.LK, it will not combo. You need EX Hadoken to combo from s.LK.

How do I set up frame traps with Ryu?

I’m usually going for st.mp > throw / st.mp > delayed st.mp. Usually works against jab mashers and people trying to tech, but it’s also very predictable. I’m having a hard time opening people for frame traps. When I use blockstrings and try to walk up or dash, I get hit first. The reason I’m using Ryu is because he has no gimmicks, and I think I’ll benefit from mastering him, but I’m suffering because my neutral game is weak, and my throw/frame trap mix up is even waker. Any help would be much appreciated.

All are great, also don’t forget parry, s.HP, and even standing jab. It all depends on the situation and what attack your opponent is using. DP is usually best because of invincibility but it doesn’t work in every situation. Against Zangief I like to keep him farther away where only s.HK will work. Against cross ups I like parry. C.HP works when they’re just a little too close for DP but not quite crossing you over. Standing jab and HP work at certain ranges and when I’m not ready to DP, I can press one of those buttons and try to at least trade.

I’ve just started reviewing my matches online and I’m noticing a trend of being able to keep the pressure, especially on wake-up. I tend to have a meaty fireball waiting on wake-up but I’m still working on my timing with the different wakeups. I’ve seen s.HP, s.MP, cr.MP are good pressure tools on wake-up. Does anyone else have advice for how to keep the pressure on with Ryu?

So no Ryu master by any means but have the standard normals, combos and playstyle to a comfortable level.

What… do I do against Karin?

Just in general how should I be approaching that fight? I’m seriously at a loss :confused:

So I’ve pretty much peaked with Ryu. I keep getting Super Bronze and then ill fight a ton of good super bronze or even Ultra bronze and get knocked back to bronze. Then get a winning streak and go back up again. I definitely know I need to improve just not exactly sure in which aspects.

You can use C.HP. also S.HK works at a certain range and if you get a crush counter you can follow it up with a fireball.

cr.HP is really bad for close jumpins.

It goes without saying that if it will cross you up do not use chp or the roundhouse. bhk however can touch someone out of the air if they are right above you.