Rufus Q&A Thread: Post ALL your questions here!

It’s a practice thing, but much like punishing his Ultra, you sorta have to think ahead. Hold forwards before you’re out of blockstun, take just half a step and THEN c.hp. The sweet spot is tiny, but far from comparable to, say, pulling off 1-frame links. I’ve got it down enough to do it semi-reliably online, so it shouldn’t be too tough offline. Oh, and while this has been said before, be absolutely sure you’re blocking them standing.

That was the problem.

Thanks!

Haveing a hard time against jback.feirce (when I try to my j.roundhouse I get beat out clean. Is it a timeing thing or does it not work at all?) and backdashes (When I try to put pressure with my divekick mixups I cant because of it. Or do I need to do a better job and block/hit strings?) from Barlog. Thank you in advance.

Hi guys,

Just looking for advice on how to make my dive kick attemps safe (common situations / distances that are ideal)

alot of the time i feel like the height is right for the Divekick stand short feirce link but i get dped or mashs jabbed out of the short, anyone else having this problem?

Any adivce / mentorship would be great!

follow with crMK into EX Tornado

crLP, crLK, crMP all work and give you more time to react

It’s safest to dive kick in close quarters.

If you read a tick throw coming, you can quick dive and punish. If they block a dive kick, you can grab. If they grab after the crossup, you can punish with a second quick dive. If they mash DP, you are safe to block and punish accordingly. If you knock them down you should learn each characters hitbox on crossups to link combos into.

The short fierce followup I find is better on the crossup. It doesn’t hit after a diving crossup, but I still use because it can beat out many normal attacks and connects on a crouching opponent. You should really learn the LK to HP link, since it hits more consistantely than just a short fierce.

Short > feirce is the same as LK > HP just different terms but thanks ill keep this in mind.

I was struggling against jump back fierce for a while also until someone taught me that you can punish a jump back fierce with an ex snake strike for full damage. However it will only hit a couple of times on an empty jump back if at all.

Also Contra, if you’re having problems with getting DP mashed you just have to learn to bait it out. It’s nothing but practice to train your intuition on that kind of stuff.

Question!
I watch some of the awesome Rufus players like marn, wong, ricky and when they start their rushdown of an opponent, how is it they divekick without being punished?
when i play i feel the placement is low enough to not cause harm to me but when i do 2-3 i seem to get thrown or srk’d. what am i doing different? is it timing and placement? trying to crack the secret of the dive kick

Its because after the 2nd or 3rd one, people start to smart up and look for counters, thats what you HAVE to mix them up with something else, once you condition them that you will be doing different things after a divekick you can do 2 or 3 in a row. So in few words = keep them guessing

is it me, or does the hk extension for messiah kick not have -1 on block anymore. -_-

I have one question for Rufus.
Im curious how Justin,Marn and some other players from Japan (like Kindevu,Naiki etc.) can do the Combo with Galactic Tornado with MP instead of HP withought the corner.
like this for example: Dive kick,lk,MP,Galactic.
I know for some characters you can do it at the corner or midscreen because of the size and of hitbox maybe like Rufus,Sagat etc.
But i have seen in many games with great players that they can do it all the time in almost every character.
Is there a “key” for that.I dont know how must link it.

People that St.MP XX HP Tornado work on. A Yes means it works anywhere unless noted. This is just for HP Tornado. Downgrading Tornadoes may change the outcome. (By Puff)

Abel | Yes
Akuma | Yes
Balrog (Boxer) | Yes
Blanka | Yes
Cammy | Yes
Crimson Viper | No: st.mk xx mp/hp tornado works though
Chun-Li | Yes
Dan | No: st.mk xx mp/hp tornado works though
Dhalsim | Yes
E. Honda | No: st.mk xx mp/hp tornado works though
El Fuerte | Yes
Fei Long | Yes
Gen | No: st.mk xx mp/hp tornado works though
Gouken | Yes
Guile | Yes
Ken | No: st.mk xx mp/hp tornado works though
M. Bison (Dictator) | Yes
Rose | Yes
Rufus | Yes
Ryu | No: st.mk xx mp/hp tornado works though
Sagat | Yes
Sakura | No: st.mk xx mp/hp tornado works though
Seth | No
Vega (Claw) | Yes
Zangief | No, but st.mp xx mp Tornado does work.

against blanka, if he is crouching you cant hit him with HP, so you use close.mp in that case

Hmmm the s.mp HP GT combo is character specific. However, i think there are a few characters that s.mp MP GT works on that would not normally work with HP GT. I’ve never really messed around with it cause i dont use the combo except on blanka .

the only time it would work on a character that it does not normally work on (as listed above) is when the s.mp counterhits. the counterhit adds additional frames of stun, allowing for the GT to connect

Ok, I have a question.

What is plinking and what does it have to do with linking s.lk to s.hp to tornado?

Also, what can i do to make my divekicks combo into s.lk or s.hp? Is the key just hitting them lower to the ground (i.e. make my TK dive kicks faster)>

Here’s a thread that explains plinking: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=186686. I guess it gives you an extra frame(s?) to allow for the s.hp to hit after the s.lk. I’ve tried learning it, but I have a pretty good feel for the combo without it, and don’t really want to take the time,

To allow s.lk to combo off your dive kicks you can hit most average size characters anywhere from the waist to the feet to combo. For s.hp, you need to hit your dive kick low, usually from the knees down. Note that on Balrog and Gief the dive kicks will miss if u aim for the knees while they are standing because of their funky hitboxes. Also, you can combo s.lk or s.hp on cross up dive kicks on shotos that try to shoryuken on wake up. You want to try and hit the opponent in the small of their back in that situation in order to combo, acidic made a post about it going into more detail. You can combo it on cross up regularly as well, but the hitboxes vary so much that it is really tough to get consistently. It basically involves the same concept of crossing up shotos on wakeup. An important thing to keep in mind on the cross up dive kicks is that you can’t always hit s.hp or s.lk s.hp because you will be too far away. In that case you should try for the target combo to get a knockdown and try again on wakeup.

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful

Ok.Thank you guys for your answers.
I really appreciate it. :wink: