Rose Rehab: Breaking the bad habits of Rose players everywhere

Alright guys! I have done my fair share of trolling and raging in the past. However, This time I am making a thread about a topic thats been on my mind for a while. Dealing with Bad habits we as Rose players commonly suffer as most of us are at intermediate and above average in our skills.

I would like to hear any type of suggestion, thoughts about how to deal with those bad habits and breaking them. It can be general or you can talk about specific match ups and bad habits we display against those character.

Ill start by putting myself on blast. I have a tendency of being overly aggressive with my reflects. I just want to reflect or absorb every single fireball on my way. I have improved on that aspect but what other suggestions do u have that I could incorporate on my fireball-reflect mindgames?

Keep in mind Im just putting myself on blast as a starting point. Although I would like the information to be useful for all Rose players out there.

I see a jump in coming from 32094320190391 miles away and I still focus backdash instead of crouch fierce.

My absolute worst habit.

Too much sliding for me. :wasted:

For real, I thought a Rose master like you would never have that habit. I am surprised we are all still human after all. I actually Cr. Fierce a lot of crap. Even things people wouldn’t normally cr. fierce. I still focus backdash a lot of stuff on wake up and occasional jump-ins too. What can you suggest we do about that?

I think its not a bad thing on some match ups though. However, define too much in your opinion? Is that how you basically move around through 90% of the match? or too much slide into throw shenanigans?

How so?

Throwing fireballs as Rose is usually for the most part not very safe. The recovery and start up of her fireball is not godlike like Sagat or Ryu’s fireballs. I know chucking plasma too much is a bad habit of fireball character players. Daigo is a clear example. He has gotten blown up a lot in the past because of that.

Actually a good suggestion is to always keep an eye on your opponents meter and against characters with really big jump in attacks (Rog’s Jump fierce or Gief’s jump fierce) to try to stick with light sparks for the most part. I rarely throw other versions of sparks myself. Not sure if that is a bad habit on itself. lol

If you know you just can’t resist chucking that plasma. You can use that to your advantage by faking fireball attempts. I personally don’t know which normal is perfect for that purpose. I have used Standing medium punch a lot for fireball faking. Since it visually has the colors of the spark.

This thread oozes creativity. EMR, THIS is the kind of thread/post you should do. :slight_smile:

Funny enough this is one of my bad habits. I’ve gotten absolutely nailed “faking” fireballs like I’m a shoto. I’ll be full or 3/4 screen pressing jab or s.LK and actually bait a Chun or Abel ultra… only to get fucking nailed by it. Big recovery moves with no active frames getting me bopped. Same thing happens with Fei, getting whiff punished with rekkas because I was just pressing buttons “out of range” to make him react. Considering that people don’t need to make immediate reactions to Rose’s fireball anyway, I’m going to just stop doing it.

I learned this quickly in a Sagat match up with Emblemlord a while ago. Its best to absorb and reflect a fireball a good amount of the time as long as you have enough space. During the reflect vs fireball war just remember that you can focus back dash some of them to get your placing back or just jump over them. Oh remember to use your hp reflect so they cannot jump in.

I have an issue placing my Soul piede correctly. It causes odd cross ups and i don’t know how to take advantage of it. I’ve also stopped using back dash but not thats become a bad habit because sometimes i don’t backdash when i really REALLY need to.

For me: trying the slide/throw thing too much; fireballing from half-screen; not waiting until the appropriate gap in a character’s bullshit to press a button; picking U1 when I shouldn’t.

Oh, and being pants, but that’s not a habit so much…

But the purpose of the thread its trying to break those addictive responses. I’m just trying to brainstorm for ideas.

Slide into throw its a good tick throw setup…but you can’t abuse it. I have been on a situation where literally im facing off against a big turtler and I dont know what else to do. So I’m guilty of this. Especially in the Balrog match up. It’s hard enough to frame trap cause of that stupid jab. Anyone has any answers to dealing with that?

How the hell can they whiff punish those normals with an ultra? You must be at a very shitty range or the opponent had to be expecting it while buffering (or mashing) it. Now you are making me unsure to fake my fireballs :frowning:

Thanks. I wanna be useful for once. I think I’m done raging. I’m using my salt to motivate my drive to go beyond what I can do. Its hard though. I am not aware of bad habits I might have. I wanna see if I can see my habits on your habits as well.

It’s a pleasant change, I really do mean that. As for habits on habits, try to be like me and refrain from obscenities. :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah its true. I guess. I have to tell you something but it needs to be PM. I am done flooding threads with personal issues. And for habits im talking gameplay wise.

Well for example, if I’m playing Ryu, I may hit QCF+K to fake a fireball. A lot of players react to the sound of other’s sticks, or even if they’re a character waiting to ultra through a fireball, they may react to the s.LK and bust ultra, which means Ryu can block and get whatever huge punish. However, Rose’s s.lk and s.lp have 10 frames of recovery, making it hella slow. If they react to the bait, you still run the risk of getting ultra’d.

That’s seperate from my other bad habit, which is just pressing buttons during mid range game to get the other player to react, and getting punished because again, she has a lot of recovery and relatively bad active frames on bad moves. I’ll press s.lp, s.lk or s.mp or whatever while walking back and forth, and get hit with rekka’s or scissor kick or something that I could’ve just blocked.

tl;dr

-Whiff move instead of fireball to get them to bust ultra
-They get baited, bust ultra
-Get nailed by ultra anyway

That’s useful info. I might have to go back and check up on Rose’s 2012 frame data. I think a commonly seen bad habit of Rose’s players is pressing buttons on midrange without knowing if it could be whiff punished. Shows the importance of knowing your frame. I have been slacking on frame data. Not gonna lie.

I’m a late bloomer when it comes to playing rose(Just picked her up) and here are some of my bad habits.

>Burning meter for EX Spiral after a blocked MP Spiral

>Late Cr.Hp which makes me eat a combo(Or wakeup Cr.HP in attempts to beat out crossover which works half of the time E.G not worth it

>Choosing U2 instead of waiting for my opponent to pick a character and choosing wisely

>Activating U2 at the wrong time

>Abusing F.HK

Besides that I think I have a pretty Solid Rose,I love her playstyle it’s very Fundamental oriented and underrated.

I Have actually figured that out myself to bait out Cammys Spin nuckle and punish on reaction,it’s really important to be lame like that sometimes lol