Roll Basics

And here’s the obligatory basics thread, thanks to New Era Outlaw for this one.

Thanks, ym. You’ve saved me a lot of trouble. =)

Another thing I should have noted about Roll Sweep is that if she’s standing still and scrubbing the floor (after a whiff), if your opponent attempts to rush towards Roll from behind (God, that sounds wrong), the broom handle will hit them.

Also, some more data about Roll Sweep.

• You have two options when you start this move. You can either let Roll move across the floor (this you do by leaving the D-Pad idle) OR, you can start scrubbing the floors (this you do by mashing any attack button.)

• If you choose to let Roll coast along the floor, keep in mind that there’s a certain hit limit before you’re unable to mash for the floor scrub.

• If you choose to mash for the Floor Scrub, the number of hits will depend on how quickly you mash, how long you’ve allowed Roll to drag her broom along the floor, and also whether or not you’ve used Roll, Powered Up! Here’s what I got on a few fights, without cancelling into anything else.

Uncharged - 23 hits
Charged - 38 hits
Charged + Allowed Roll to drag mop for a while - 48 hits.

• Scrubbing the floor also builds meter like a MOTHER, but only if it hits. If Roll’s idly scrubbing bare carpet, you get a grand total of ZERO meter buildup.

With that said, the most number of hits I’ve managed to get off of Roll in any combo I use is 64 hits. This is how I did it. (WARNING: I’m using a bit of improvisation here, so I might be off. Try this yourself and see if you can pull it off.)

Power Up,:snka:,:snka:, :d:+:snkb:, :d:+:snkc:, Roll Sweep (drag for about 12 hits), mash for Floor Scrub (until Hit Counter reads 49), XX Turbo Roll Sweep.

It does respectable damage, although I find her simpler combos way more effective for ending a match quickly. In particular:

:snka:,:snka:, :d:+:snkb:, Turbo Roll Sweep

…does a LOT of damage, and you can easily DHC afterwards.

Also, for the lulz, try this combo.

(Opponent in corner) Power Up,:snka:,:snka:, :d:+:snkb:, :d:+:snkc:, Roll Swing XX Life Up!

6 hits, but it’s rather funny.
Do NOT try this on the following:

• Mega Man Trigger
  • Casshern
  • Roll

…it won’t work anyway on the giants, so they’re not listed.

Yeah, and don’t forget that if you have karas (or potentially another character with an OTG hitting super?) you can DHC into his lvl 3 super and still get the heal, plus a good chunk of damage, check it out on the videos thread.

EDIT: NOT in the corner…

Actually, that particular combo I had posted is supposed to be a joke. It basically involves a basic five-hit combo, with the Life-Up hitting the opponent for hit #6 (as they bounce off the wall) and rather pitiful damage. But, whatever works, I suppose. =)

Yeah but you really can DHC it with Karas’ lvl3 super for good damage. In most situations, the life up will hit you and not them, I guess I should have taken off the (in the corner) bit. lol. Yeah just watch the Keits DHC video on the videos thread if you haven’t seen it yet.

That’d come in pretty handy in a pinch.

Experimented with Roll a bit more.
Try this combo out.

Power Up! (Jump In) :snka:,:snkb:,:snkc: (land and dash forward) :snka:,:snka:, :d: +:snkb: Baroque, :snka:,:snka:, (hold Back):d: +:snkb:, :d:+:snkc:, Roll Sweep (drag until counter reads 21, then mash until you reach 51-54 hits) XX Turbo Roll Sweep.

This is probably Roll’s most damaging combo. If not, then it’s certainly the longest using her alone.

Some other things I found out:

• Roll Swing cancels out projectiles. You’d have to be dead accurate with your timing, though. So far, I managed to cancel out Mega Man’s Buster Shot with it. Ryu’s being too stingy to allow me to test this theory out on his Hadoken. Does NOT work on multi hit projectiles (for obvious reasons.)

-There is a small glitch (nothing major though) where an OTG Roll Sweep can actually stop doing damage. It sometimes happens when my opponent is on a 1/2 or so % life during a Floor Scrub. As much as I mash, the person does NOT die despite being hit.

• If you super jump with Roll, she will grab her skirt to prevent it from blowing upwards as she falls (carried over from Marvel vs. Capcom). Too much information? Well…yes, but it might come in handy during Final Jeopardy. You never know…

It’s not so much a glitch, but rather the way the damage bar scales when the person’s life is low. Aside from the fact that you do less damage to them when their life is low, the lower end of the life bar seems to represent a little more health than say the start of the bar.

I’ve seen what you’re talking about though if you were able to mash long enough you eventually would deliver the finishing blow. If the broom was powered up, you’re more likely to see that happen, esp. since those hits do more damage aside from having more hits. Admittedly though, if I have the meter, I usually just Super Cancel into the Turbo Roll Sweep to make sure to finish them off.

That’s the thing. I must have mashed for about five more hits on a sliver of life, and it didn’t go down at all. The broom was charged and everything, so I know it was supposed to kill my opponent then and there.

Meh. I’ll playtest a bit more and see if my eyes aren’t playing tricks on me.

EDIT: Wow. I’m definitely going to have to re-do my old thread with all of this info.

Erm… you can stop uncharged busters with her s.A. Or B. Or whatever. They’re really not that threatening to her if you can keep a cool head. Charged busters/machine-guns are what she has to be careful of.

Sorry I haven’t posted the videos yet. I’ll try to have them up before the year ends, but no promises. D:

I’ve had three consecutive matches as Roll with the roll sweep scrubbing and I could have sworn my opponent would be dead, but… :looney:

Also, I am completely helpless when I fight Gold Lightan. I need some tips, I just get crushed. lol.

You’d better hope you have a reliable partner. Roll fares rather horribly against Gold Lightan due to her lack of distant projectiles to play keep away (she’s barely the size of his frigging hand, play up close WHAAAAAAT?!) Needless to say, play close, and Gold Lightan will punish EVERYTHING you do.

Against the CPU Lightan, simply spam super-charged Water Buckets, and occassionally leave puddles for him to slip in.

The Super-Charged Water Buckets are about the only thing that will work fairly well, plus it charges meter very quickly. If you do get stuck in close, her L3 Super will also do a good chunk of damage to GL. Other than those 2 tips, Super Jump and fly around the screen trying to build meter staying out of reach. Keep blocking and tech-hit out of the his command throw (Mega Crash it if you have to). Very Generic, I know but as mentioned, she doesn’t have the tools others do for this matchup.

I’ll keep that in mind next time. I was like… what the hell am I supposed to do? :confused:

And to think I’m not very good when it comes to doing tech hits and advanced guarding. Time to practice.

Alright, well we haven’t really talked about roll’s setups and offense yet so much so i’ll go for it, for anyone who cares. Whoever else feel free to throw in your ideas.

Roll’s midscreen BnB combo is her (charged) :d::snka::d::snkb::d::snkc::l:(charge):r::p:, so a nice thing there is that anyone who standing blocks is going to eat your combos. You obviously use the same setup for :d::snka::d::snkb::d::snkc::qcf::snkc::qcb::2p: for healing. You can get away with just spamming these attacks sometimes simply because they come out super fast, but you should really mix up with overheads. Fortunately she has a relatively quick overhead that you can hit confirm into stuff like her :dp::2p:. So particularly once Roll has 3 meters, she’s a HUGE threat on offense. Her water buckets can also either be really useful or a big liability. Most characters won’t have much trouble avoiding and punishing this laggy attack, but its arc makes it tough for certain characters who have trouble approaching (alex), and it can leave a spot to cut down people’s options for approaching (since they basically have to jump over it). Don’t spam it, but use it.

Her dashes and airdashes are extremely fast, so you can catch people off guard fairly regularly with dash in attacks, especially since the attacks themselves come out so fast. As you can see (already know) roll is a HUGE threat on offense, but obviously there’s some drawbacks here. Roll can land her combos really easily, but her normal BnB combos just do not do very much damage compared to most of the cast, particularly if you’re not charged. Also, she has the second lowest amount of health in the game, so she goes down fairly easily.

Basically, as a roll player, you have to constantly stay on the move, and continually stay on the offensive. Harass your opponent by switching between your low pokes and overheads constantly, and always be moving…towards them…fast. And as always, if they get too good at predicting your attacks, start throwing them.

There’s my ideas on Roll’s offense so far, what do you guys think?

If you were going for Healing, I would suggest

:d::snka::d::snkb::d::snkc::qcf::snkc::qcb::2p:

This doesn’t have to be charged, though if it is it’s completely safe. Without that Broom Swing though to knock the opponent away, they’ll recover right next to you and punish you (unless you Super Cancel into something like Karas’, Doranjo’s, or Saki’s Counter Super).

Also, I think you can combo her BnB and charge her broom. At least that seems to be the safe time for me.

This is an awesome combo to send your opponent flying. I’ve been trying to figure if I can follow up from that broom swing (minus healing in the combo) into something else, but I haven’t tried anything yet.

Question, seems like her j.C is her only attack on the air worth doing right? Her other air attacks have pitiful range.

Yeah that’s actually what I meant. Edited, thx.

Also. @ anton, check out the combo vids in the video thread, it shows some stuff for combos from a charged swing in the corner. If you’re close enough to the wall bounce you can hit them after the bounce with a :df::snkc: launcher and follow up with an air combo that ends with a :snkc: and hit a roll sweep when you both land. Does more damage than the standard BnB if you’re close enough to the corner to hit it all.

Some other things to keep in mind, any super or assist that hits OTG is very useful for roll. There’s some stuff in the videos section again in keits’ matches. He uses Casshern’s assist to add extra damage to OTG roll sweeps, and OTG hitting supers can be used for the same thing (I think) during turbo roll sweeps (and to keep them safer) or can be used to hit after the previously mentioned healing combo. There’s video of Karas hitting his lvl3 after a roll heal combo.

I’ve been slowly adding stuff to the roll videos page, so check it out if you get a chance.

New corner combo for roll posted in the videos, takes 4 levels, but combos her turbo sweep into the lvl 4 super, instant kill on Karas. Here’s my shot at transcribing it.

j:snkc: up cancel j:snkc:(land) :d::snkb: :snkc: :d::snkc: :qcf::p: :d::snkb: :snkc: :d::snkc: Turbo roll sweep :snkd: :dp::2p:

It looks like maybe she hits something between the sweep and the assist but idk. Go check it out, it’s from nico but I linked through a shell so people without accounts should be ok.

lol someone needs to up a video of this its hilarious

rolls can do an otg combo into super and dhc into polymers tank thing. this will be blockable on most characters(probubly all but untested tested all the biggeer guys) but it works on the genie

it does like 34000 damage its hilarious, probably racist too.