Race and Fighting Games in North America

I’ll cut right to the point.

I think that, compared to other types of games, more non-white people play fighting games than other sorts of games in North America. If you look at fan gatherings or competitions featuring MMO’s or FPSs, virtually everyone is caucasian; with fighting games that clearly isn’t the case.

So the point of this thread is to gather opinions as to why. Actually, a lot of you guys are probably in college as we speak, so some of you might be able to conduct some sort of sociological study into the racial composition of the fighting game demographic and perhaps study the factors that lead one group of people to be interested in, say, MMO’s, and another in Street Fighter.

I’m curious as to answers to these questions:

1. Do you believe the fighting game scene has more minorities than other types of gaming communities?
  2. If you answered yes to 1), what factors do you think lead to this demographic situation?
  3. u mad?
  1. Black people play Madden.
  2. Gotta have DAT Madden.
  3. Madden.

I thought it had something to do with FG community born from non-white kids hanging out in arcades…white kids afraid of getting their bike/money stolen by non-white kids…and staying in their rooms playing PC games.

U Madden…

All I ever see playing fighting games over here are Asians… oh wait…

US census registered me as asian because i play Street Fighter even though i put hispanic

blaaaaack ppl…

black pe… er i mean, srk, we da best

Lmfao

that move is unsafe on black

crouching black to black dash works against space control

gotta work on those unblackable setups

The more identifiably Japanese a fighting game is, the whiter the playerbase for some reason. I dunno what’s up with that.

Black to black overheads are tricky to black.

Black people are born with an unnaturally strong blood lust and love thewhite wimminz.

All Asians wish to be samurai.

A Mexican’s only alternative is roofing. Nobody likes roofing.

I don’t see this going anywhere useful.