R.Mika Q&A Thread: Mic Night

Yeah the range is very noticeable. Also the p throw has a lot more range and damage than the k throw.

I see like this:

HCB+P - for better damage, but leaves opponent is away from you, having you chase them again.
HCB+K - for “meh” damage, but leaves opponent right next to you for more pressure.

Personally, I use the HCB+K more, except when I’m the one in the corner.

Is EX Wingless Airplane viable as an escape option?

I don’t use it as an escape, but I’ve not had to escape lately…

I think I’d prefer to use the v-reversal to break space. You can’t be chip ko’d so I think it’s less important to burn meter to escape when that can be super damage.

Definitely but only at certain ranges. Doesn’t work as a corner escape unless your opponent jumps. Honestly I have found my command throws make better escapes since their long animation is fantastic for cooling down stun meter if you got a lot built up, and you have quite a lot of time to move around afterwards (and in the case of Rainbow Typhoon they probably got thrown far or into a corner which is great news for you either way. But I do definitely use EX Wingless as a neutral game escape. It works even better if the opponent is rushing towards you when you do it, but it does have invincibility for the first few frames after she gets into the air. Four frame start up then frames 5-15 are invincible and it has 29 frames if that gives you any useful idea. All of the invincibility is while she is also threatening her throw.

I wish they both have the range of HCB+P though.
Can’t count the times where i input st.lp tick throw to HCB+HK and see it miss in certain situations.

K command grab throws them forward so it keeps them in the corner, P one throws them behind you.

basically a 2d/sf newbie. more of a tekken player fan. do you guys ever do a punishment thread? ie each character has a spoiler that lists all the known punishable moves and what mikas best punisher would be?

No but this is a great idea. I have my notebook and everytime I lose a matchup I go into training and test all punishes against that characters specials and normals. I was thinking of making a rindoukan bible (http://otersi.com/rindoukan/bible/TheRindoukanBible_v1.01_Screen.pdf) but for Mika, except I don;t know how to format a PDF that good. Best guide ever made for a character.

Wow… that is a really good idea!!! We gotta do that~

I find that setting the cpu to level 6 and practicing blocking all attacks and only reacting to the one I am training on at the moment has really helped my reactions. The cpu helps it stay random and trains you to react and test more situations than if they were just doing pre-entered commands. I really like the idea of making notes and sharing them though. I’ll start writing that shit down, thanks for the idea.

If you want to be serious about your growth and level of play, you should write everything down. It’s how I evolved as a player.

That’s why you use lk version

Personally, I just rewatch my losses and try to make sense of why I lost.

there’s already a matchup punish guide for nicalli: http://shoryuken.com/2016/02/25/necalli-punish-guide-provides-numerous-ways-to-devour-opponents-in-street-fighter-v/

Even with lk version the range is a bit limiting. I typically mix up into ex typhoon a lot for the damages. It’s too sick to pass up for a mixup lol. Maybe when I’m out of bronze :slight_smile:

I’m starting to neglect brimstone in favor of her regular throw, simply because it does about the same damage, has about the same range, and since people are usually crouching when thrown you get the powerbomb which puts them in the same position. And if they neutral jump it, you can’t be punished. Yeah I know they can tech it, fair trade off. Besides, if someone is regularly teching your throws as Mika you are doing something seriously wrong. They should be busy respecting your s. mp confirm or your f+fp meaty. Not the throw itself.

Leongteng you can actually input hcb-f+K and extend the range of her command throw. You can test this by going to training mode and setting it to right corner with you left side or left corner with you on right side and walk up until you are touching the opponent then do charge st.HK into st.LP and the command throw. Both K and P command throws and EX K command throw (Brimstone) will whiff but EX P command throw (Rainbow Typhoon) will connect. I’m pretty sure only EX R.Typhoon… maybe regular R.Typhoon… it’s been a while since I tested. But if you input hcb-f+K (half circle back-to-forward+K) and if you do it right it will connect.

Really the only use is to be able to connect non EX command grab after charge st.HK (+2 on block) or charge st.HK into st.LP then command grab. You can also connect it by taking a step forward or 2 and then inputting command grab but this is noticeably slower.

I believe UltraDavid did a youtube video on this… it was either him or James Chen I forget. It’s worth checking out if you play Mika.

I haven’t used this in any online games yet because I just don’t feel confident enough that I can reliably hit the hcb-f+K/P input but I’m gunna keep practicing it until I have it down.

Random Question (I’m frustrated). Since most of Mika’s knockdowns are disadvantageous, How do you guys deal with people mashing jab on wake-up outside of the corner?

The thing about knockdowns is it is a whole lot of Janken (rock, paper scissors.) Mika actually has some pretty good tools in that regard she has:

Command throws for multiple directions that can be meatied (you probably know you can do that, it takes a lot of practice,)
Lady Mika meaty (the answer to jabs,)
Neutral jump and punish with an air attack if you think they’ll jump away.
Tic Throw into a command throw.

The down side is that almost all dp’s can beat any of these options leaving you only with blocking. What R.Mika does best is set up these sort of pure Janken situations where its all about your reads and instincts.

Knock downs suck for Mika on one hand, but on the other she has more options than most characters in the game. The knock down game is probably the simplest yet most important one for Mikas to learn since so many of her good poking moves and tools knock people down, and in SFV the way you play it depends a lot on what character you are facing.