Questions about the competitive aspect of tekken

hey guys!

i am new to fighting games, but i love them and want to go deep into them competitively wise. i chose tekken because i played it back in the days on ps1 and ps2, only singleplayer though. since i am new to the scene i have a few question if you dont mind :slight_smile:

1. since tekken is played at evo, i guess it is a good and fair competitive game?

2. what is tekken mostly about, it is about yomi, mechanics, or reflexes? (i know you have to get all this skills and more to get good, but i have heard that some games are focussed around some aspects more than others)

3. i have heard that the fighting game community and the e-sport aspect of it is growing, is that true?
    and is the tekken community big enough, will i always find enough players when i play in europe from home via ps2 matchmaking? (from germany)

4. where does tekken stand compared to big games like street fighter? is it in the big 3, the big 4 or is it pretty niche?

5. could you please link me a good resource/forum/fansite for guides and stuff related to tekken, especially to tekken tag 2 which is played at evo? (this seems to be the best/biggest/latest tekken, right?)

6. i have heard that a new tekken game is announced for the next gen consoles, is that true? and if so, shouldnt i just wait for that and buy a ps4 instead? since buying a whole and old console just for one game seems a bit, well…extreme, since i am not interested in any other console games.

7. ???

8. profit!

1. Yes it is. Tekken Tag 1 and Tekken 5 pretty much carried much of the interest in fighting games during the huge Street Fighter dark ages in the mid 2000’s. Ever since Tekken 3 in the arcade/PS1 days, I’ve seen the series as pretty much the tournament game. There’s been a couple of embarrassments or two, but as a whole the series is pretty good.

2. imo I would say primary thing you want to learn about Tekken would be the movement. You should be able to dash, backdash, sidestep and so on until you can pretty much dance around a stage. If you can do that consistently, and your opponent can’t, you’re at a very big advantage. Mastery over movement gives you positional advantage. The other stuff such as juggles and defense and mindgames will follow.

3-4. It’s the most popular full 3d fighting game (with movement and side steps etc… as opposed to SF4 whcih is 3d models + 2d game play style). Based on experience, it’s ahead of VF and DOA in the popularity department.

It’s growing, and it is very big in Asia. This has to do with the wealth of arcades in Japan and Korea. There are a few big groups playing it in the United States as well (as far as I know). It does need some help and more love outside of Asia, though. Tekken Tag 2 and Revo netcode seem to be good as far as I’ve played, and seen, and heard from friends’ testimonies. There are more people on PS3/PSN since Tekken was a Sony staple for years, but there should also be people online for Xbox Live and Wii U if you have those.

1. Tekken Zaibatsu is the go-to site for Tekken news and info.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/

There’s also Aris’ site: http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com
And Markman’s: http://www.sdtekken.com/

For resources esp on Tekken Tag 2, there’s this sticky thread. Beginner Resources

1. Too early to say. The latest official Tekken game is Tekken Revo, an f2p game. You’re probably thinking of this… at this rate it will probably be a next gen game.

It will probably take some time too, as the bad rap of SFxT needs to be forgotten first.

As far as I know @Great_Dark_Hero on these forums is also from Germany, so may be able to help you get into your local scene.

1. what is tekken mostly about, it is about yomi, mechanics, or reflexes? (i know you have to get all this skills and more to get good, but i have heard that some games are focussed around some aspects more than others)

As @4neqs said, movement is key.
Yomi and mechanics? I don’t know what you mean by this.
The other key is reaction time. Street Fighter is more about reads. This is more about reaction. E.g., you have to pay attention to what arm your opponent extends when they throw so you know how to break it. It’s not a universal break. If the character reaches with their left arm, you hit 1 to break it, right arm = 2, and both arms = 1+2. You also have a lot of memorization. If you memorize key strings your opponent does, you can down parry them very easily. Again too, that’s on reaction time. A lot of times you can see an attack like Law’s dragon tail, which you can hit d/f, parry it, and wreck house.

by mechanics im sure he was referring to the juggle mechanics, wall combo mechanics, low parry mechanics, the crush system, chickening reversals and whole bunch of other crap you just wouldnt know off hand which i guess are really important once you get movement down. and by yomi im assuming making solid reads such as properly using the crush system to hop kick a low or an electric to punish a high which…i guess, no one really uses it correctly, they just try to yolo and murder your family. as a side note, please dont tell me you have been low parrying dragon tail when you can block it and get like a million more damage.

yomi = predict what your enemy will do next.
mechanics = execution.

Well, you already answered the question then…

But as for the dragon tail, it depends on what I want my follow up to be. :wink: I like playing Oki games more than punishing, which is bad… since I suck at Tekken and can’t play Oki games well.

Greetings @Vyy!
There is a small local scene in Ramstein Germany. I’m in the process of getting a scene going for both TTT2 and KOFXIII in Wiesbaden Germany. TTT2 is a beautiful game, especially in terms of competition. On TTT2, you’re mostly playing a reactionary game, though you can still anticipate on events taking place as your playing the match. Movement, blocking, and whiff punishment is top priority (it is generally a bad idea to start whiffing too many moves in this game). If you need help in finding/starting a local, you can communicate with me so that I can help you out.

thank you but i would use just matchmaking i guess. now i have to find a cheap ps3, they are more expensive then i thought. i mean they are really old and the new generation comes soon so i expected them to be a bit cheaper.

1. I guess, still think some characters are OP (ahem Paul)
  2. If I knew that my other thread wouldn’t exist
  3. No idea
  4. No idea
  5. No idea
  6. I haven’t heard of said game. May exist though
  7. ???
  8. Hopefully

tekken is mostly about movement then the other stuff
unfortunately it works in the opposite with most people

movement helps to negotiate space to throw out moves in a truly high, low mixup. whiff punishing positional advantage at the wall all that jazz

nothing in this game is truly fire and forget and movement helps to augment that fact

i practice movement more now then i used to it takes up the majority of my training room time

You open a thread admitting you suck at the game and then a day later you have the sheer audacity to answer other people’s questions, basically spreading misinformation… smh

It’s a forum, I can answer and speak to whoever I want and voice opinions however I want.

To the OP and everyone who think you can become good and make good cash out of no where for tekken are VERY MISTAKEN. Tekken is a game where it takes a lot of skills, and adaption because not everyone plays the same. Also, this isn’t a game where you can just mash button’s and throw out moves like marvel and sf. One mistake in tekken can cost you half your life or more. So I think the OP and everyone who thinks like him needs to first practice how to play the game and decide to see if they want to make money in it. Because you can make a decent living in Korea by playing Tekken.