Question about visual cues in safe jumps

Ok, I have a question regarding the terminology of using visual ques in safe jumps, and also one question regarding the mechanics.

Here’s an example of a visual cue in a safe jump setup:

A character does a forward throw on his opponent, and needs to wait 11 frames after recovering from the throw before jumping in, in order for it to be a safe jump.
If the character has a move that takes exactly 11 frames from the time you execute it, to recovery, for example, cr.LP with Rose, people tend to do that move right after the forward throw, and then jump immediately after, to know exactly when to jump.

My question regarding this is, is the term visual cue (or just cue in general) accurate to use here?
A friend of mine tells me that it is absolutely not a visual cue or any cue at all, and that it is a necessary part of the setup. But I have heard this technique being refered to as a visual cue (or just cue) here on the forums, so I’m wondering if it’s a correct term to use?

He also says that the safe jump is literally impossible to accomplish without doing this whiff move. 1000 tries to simply guess or feel when to jump in, will fail 1000 times, he says. Is that true?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like your had a debate/argument with your friend about this.

It’s not a visual cue, at all.

In your example, the light jab would be a buffer to help time the jump. The jab is there to help time the jump exactly when it should happen because you can’t jump in the jab frames. The jab animation itself is not helping you time the jump. Therefore its not visual.

There’s nothing special about whiffing a normal move to help you time your safe jump. It’s just there merely as an AID to help you get the correct timing needed for a proper safe jump. You can do it without whiffing a normal as well and you’ll get the same results, assuming that your timing is supremely accurate.

People have been doing safe jumps since SF2 without needing to whiff moves, your friend is wrong when he says that it’s IMPOSSIBLE to do a safe jump without whiffing a move, however it is much easier to do in regards to timing.

well, I hardly miss the timing on my safejumps and I never whiff moves to get the timing right… its not impossible at all, just practice it and it will become second nature. It’s hard to explain but its so natural to me now that I have troubles not doing it if I want to change the timing for whatever reason.

It’s a visual cue for the opponent. So you can fake it by whiffing a normal to get them to prevent them from attempting a reversal and then go low or throw instead.

How would that ever work? You’re just whiffing a normal, and then presumably walking up towards them to do a low attack or a throw during their wakeup? It’s much more effective to go for a safe-jump and bait their reversal in order to do a big punish, or at the very least, continuing your offensive pressure to land more damage.

I’m not sure what’s so difficult to understand? That’s like asking why people get hit by Gouki’s whiffed DF palm into low, which also gives you the opportunity for continued offense if the opponent blocks.

double yomi bro

you aint there yet

Ah, thanks. That’s exactly what I wanted to know, and what I was thinking as well, but I wanted to make sure, since he said I was misinformed.

Well it was just an example. In some situations the characters don’t have a move with the exact number of frames you need to whiff, so in those situations you still need to do a bit of guessing/feeling on the timing, but it’s the same technique.
But what I meant in that particular example is that thanks to that whiff, you do know that you can jump right after it. But you could also do it without whiffing a move, so as mentioned by the people above, it’s just there as an aid, (a very good one albeit) but not as a necessity.

The visual cue for a safe jump is…primarily…the actual jump itself. If you’re just whiffing a normal, and then walking up to continue your pressure, obviously you’re not going to go for the safe jump and that’s a big sign to me that you’re just going to do just an attack, or a throw. Both options that can be countered by either a risky reversal, or a OS’d focus dash+throw tech.

A safe-jump negates getting hit by a reversal unless you’re trying to OS your jump-in with another attack, and its a solid, guaranteed way to continue the pressure. Or force your opponent to find linear ways of escaping your jump attack, which can be countered if they start to make it a habit.

That alone proves your friend is an idiot, my advice would be to not waste your time arguing with him lol.

Seriously, what’s so hard to understand about empty jump into low or throw?

i think he missed the point you were making was to empty jump

i think he read wiff normal, walk up meaty

This

I didn’t see the part of your post where you mentioned an empty jump.