Question about combos in Tekken

Yo.

So I’m really getting over street fighter and I’ve found Tekken to be a much more intellectually stimulating, intuitive game.

But anyway.

I’m pretty much a noob at Tekken and have a question about combos in general.

Is there a limit to how many times you can hit somebody in a combo? How does one know how long a combo at any given time could be?

I’m using Yoshimitsu atm so if you could give me examples with regards to his combos / moves I think that would help me in understanding any potential answers, but general advice would be great too.

Thanks.

There is no limit, plus you are allowed to use any moves to juggle the opponent.

You just keep extending your combo and eventually each hit will do less and less damage. Also each hit in a juggle slightly pushes the enemy futher from your char, and after certain number of hits…you won’t be able to catch up with your opponent anymore.

Yoshi Forum http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=182
Yoshi Guide(podcast) http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121683

Bonus:
Tekken 101 http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=113442
LUYG Episode 1 [media=youtube]L3DT6-oOZro[/media]
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php

Thanks alot man

1. Yes there is there is juggle scaling every hit in the combo pushes the opponnent further away than the last. Think Hitstun scaling in UMVC3. there is also damage scaling too you may be familiar with this in street fighter 4. Most combos go Launch>filler string > bind moves > ender. the filler is where you get to play around abit and see what strings do the most damage and if its possible to mix 2 strings together, take a part of one string and mix it with another, etc. the ender is where you decide to go for oki, wall carry, or damage. These are also concepts you want to be thinking about during your initial strings after launch, as position is very important. The wall is strong.

2. I would recommend watching Level up your game tutorial its very good its probably the best competitive community tutorial I’ve seen for any game ever. Watch all of the character episodes and everything because even if you don’t play the character your watching, there’s enough knowledge in each tutorial to pretty much teach you the match up just watching it. I would also recommend Visiting Tekkenzaibatsu.com as well Lots of knowledge there and the community is helpful.

Good luck Tekken is a very fun game

Ah this is the info I was looking for. I was sure of moves that were launchers, because they either hit my opponent into the air or made them crumple infront of me quiet slowly. I just recently learnt about bind moves and I’ve gone about finding what Yoshi’s ones are, I’ve finally been able to hit my first juggle combo lol.

As for the level up your game tutorial I’ve watched that and also a video just on movement posted by I think his name is Aris; trying to grasp all the new movement in this game. I just asked about combos because I really wanted to hit something entertaining in training mode lol but do you guys have any idea of how it would be good to go about learning this game? Is playing against the cpu / online helpful?

Launcher, juggle, bound, juggle, finisher. No 1 frame links or any impossible shit like that! Isnt it great?!:slight_smile:

It’s a great system, I’m really enjoying it. I wanna call myself a Tekken man now but I’m still a wee pup lol

• know your characters…learn their strengths & weaknesses

• know their move properties

• know their combos…this is important…because a strong offense is one of the key factors to win(e.g being able to do massive damage each time the opportunity arrives)

• know the fundamentals.

• get a lot of experience…

And here’s what Yuu(famous Feng player) said when he was asked how to be as good as him…

“first play with weaker or players with same skills as you…to build your confidence. Then play with better ones. Also make sure you can do your combos consistently”.

I rarely play online Tekken…but I’m sure playing online will certainly give you experience, learn how to play against other chars. You’ll probably face ‘cheap online tactics’, there are not used in offline play…because there’s quite a big difference in playing online & offline…But at least you’ll learn more about the game.

Btw Bogus Journeys shows how offline players deal with the online netcode…
[SIZE=4]Bogus Journeys - Season 1[/SIZE]

there are more technical combos… such as ones that require stance transitions…and there are a shit load of them in Tekken…
such as DSS cancels…DCK~WS+1,2…RLX~HSP, and so on.

but basically many combos in this game are pretty easy to learn…

that’s why the newcomers I’ve met…can do combos and do a lot of damage consistently…but they lack the fundamentals and knowledge of their characters.

then you’ll most likely enjoy TTT2… :smiley:

the basic movement in this game(backdash, side step, side walk, running ,etc) …is explained in either Tekken 101 guide, or the 1st episode of Level Up Your Game…IIRC

As you play & learn more of the game you’ll learn more advanced movement related techniques.
Such as back dash cancels, ESS(electric side step), Hayashida Step, Fox Step, Wave Dash, Light Dash, Snake Dash, etc.