Putting together a newbie guide, need feedback

So I decided to make a steam guide for newbies, but since I’m not a particularly great player I decided to focus on the mind and fundamentals side of things, actually getting into the game and playing, a part that seems to be taken for granted by many. It’s currently unformatted and disorganised, since I’m just throwing stuff in there that I think might be useful and I’ll trim the fat later. Any feedback on the content would be appreciated!

[details=Spoiler]First of all: forget about combos! This is a mistake alot of new players to fighting games make, one that’s perpetuated by the often seriously lacking tutorials that are shipped in most fighting games. Combos are unimportant when you’re just starting out, what you need to learn is the fundamentals of defense. You could have the most damaging combo in the world, but it won’t matter if you can’t live long enough to connect with it, likewise if you have a solid defense you can eventually wear your opponent down without knowing any advanced combos!

Here’s two excellent videos by Alexis Rivera that should be watched by all:
The Neutral Game

Resets and Mixups

Don’t be afraid to get your butt kicked online, nobody is ever truly ready for their first attempt at online play, and if you keep telling yourself “I’m not good enough yet” then you’ll never get started and never really learn how to play a fighting game. These games truly shine when playing against a human, a flawed, sometimes random, sometimes predictable, inconsistent human. Fighting against other humans is truly the best way to learn, and fighting those who are better than you will help you level up quick! Just remember to be analysing the fight, don’t just “autopilot”, keep what was taught in those two videos in mind. Some people say watch replays, see what you did wrong and what you can do better, and while this is sound advice, may not be entirely necessary when you’re just starting out. It can be hard if you’re going up against players where the match begins and ends in one combo, and in situations like that, it might be time to start focusing on defense. You won’t start blocking overnight, but keep paying attention to how your opponent plays and what you can do to avoid incoming damage.

Alot of people will tell you “pick 1 character to start”, this isn’t a bad idea, but sometimes picking two just for the assist will give you an advantage over solo teams and get you used to the idea of calling an assist tactically. Don’t worry if you can’t play your secondary character, it’s just there for the assist and to support your main. This is of course, still very much personal preference, so do what feels comfortable, but remember it’s better to learn to use assists sooner rather than later, as they give a very large advantage over solo characters.

Play the tutorial mode alot! Don’t just breeze through it once and leave it alone, replay certain sections until the concepts really start to sink in. insert screenshot of specific sections in question

Play against the AI, play arcade mode! This is probably the best way to familiarise yourself with your chosen characters. There’s no pressure involved, and the computer will give you a run for your money enough to be good practise. This is a great way to get you to the point where you can consistently land combos in the middle of a fight while maintaining a solid defense, and don’t have to think too much about your character’s actions.

Simple short combos for each character. Once you’ve picked a character you like, practise a simple BnB combo, I know I said earlier that they aren’t important, and I stand by that, but if you can memorize a simple combo, you’ll really be able to capitalize off any hits you may get. Don’t put too much emphasis on this however!, this is a tool in your arsenal, but not your focus.

Losing and playing better players will actually teach you a lot and make you better. It’s okay to lose and learn in unranked matches, just keep the mindset that it’s about enjoying yourself and improving. Winning is fun, but losing doesn’t have to be un-fun. A match where you lost and learned something is more valuable than a match where you stomped someone below your skill level.

Pay attention to your character of choice’s moveset. Understanding your normals and specials are key. You need to know when to throw out certain moves, which ones are safe and unsafe on block, and the general range of your attacks. This is something that will only come with time and practise, but it’s important to always be paying attention to your move characteristics instead of just mashing and hoping for the best.[/details]

If there’s anything that needs fixing, anything I should add or anything that’s completely wrong that anyone thinks shouldn’t be told to newbies, please let me know!

Give’m the SRK wiki link: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls

When would be a good time to watch those videos? I’m pretty new and just started the tutorials (putting them on hold until my fightstick arrives since connecting the PS3 controller is a pain, Xbox controller is ok and keyboard just doesn’t feel right).

Should I watch them now, even though I barely know much about fighting games and only a bit about this one specifically? (only reached the block tutorial before I stopped)

Absolutely watch them now, the Neutral game and Resets/Mixups are crucial components of most fighting games, and then when you get your fightstick, watch them again. Same with tutorials, I’d do them now even before you get your fightstick and then do them over when you get it. Thing is, the tutorial teaches you alot of basic principles of fighting games, stuff that often gets overlooked. So if you’re familiar with these fundamentals, doing them again with your fighstick will help solidify it in your mind. Like I mention in the guide, the tutorials should be done multiple times so the info really sticks in your mind.

I guess I’ll try to continue them with my 360 controller tonight then use the stick if it comes in tomorrow (it should).

I mostly stopped because the very hard part of the block tutorial was hard.

Well a fighstick won’t make that much easier. Best to just keep at it, defense should be the number 1 priority for everyone, which sadly is never addressed by most games.

I know it won’t be easier, but it was a bit before I had to leave for work yesterday so it was a natural stopping point. Then I got caught up playing Dota 2 before work today. Now to get distracted with Tales of Xilia! (which for shits and giggles I may try playing with my fight stick once I get it)

I just watched both videos.

The second is really great to watch and explains resets really well and makes you understand the mechanics

The first video not so much. It explains zoning well and I get that it’s all about putting space between you and your opponent, but not much more than that. The cerebella example with her long reach keeping the enemy wasn’t too helpful since she doesn’t stay neutral very long and only uses the length as a deterrent once. I just feel like I’m missing some key piece to understand what exactly the video was teaching in the practical sense.

The second one is great on the practical aspects though.