Purple Eyes Only: Juri Video Thread (Updated: 9-28-10)

man, these vids help showed me what i need to work on.

Hahaha…that was awesome editing.

However, I don’t think there’s any reason to be scared of using FSE over U2. At that time you may have not had the opportunity to land U2 and with FSE it puts fear in the opponent as they do not want to be caught by it and you would have won if you didn’t opt to do c.RH in that combo but it’s still get familiar with the chains. You don’t get any better at FSE if you don’t practice it and use it in actual matches. That’s just my 2cents.

Updated. I think we need to make a video feedback thread what do you guys think?

^ yea, we could probably use one of those :slight_smile:

^^ Sounds good

@ Shakugan

Do you mind adding my youtube address to your list please, it’s just taking me a little longer to convert and process my videos from my digital camera and uploading them to YT.

youtube.com/shigegakipsn

Thanks bro and keep up the great work on keeping this thread organized.

1. I created the new Video critic thread.

2. go join team Juri

http://shoryuken.com/group.php?groupid=348

1. I added your youtube so keep the videos coming

Another casuals match between me and a friend.

Juri (me) vs M.Bison: [media=youtube]59r8erJlzdw[/media]

More videos coming later tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Evil0Unstakabul#p/a/u/0/XEHEFLx7pDc Me vs Offbeat Ninja (Ryu)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Evil0Unstakabul#p/u/3/lgwrZqowKTM Me vs STORMKING (Dictator)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Evil0Unstakabul#p/u/5/cpoqHbeQMQg Me vs HEX420 (T Hawk)

Just some randoms from my youtube page. Id appreciate it if also my youtube be put in the page. I love criticism.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Evil0Unstakabul

A new Video

[media=youtube]-lYKepauaOE[/media]

Juri Armor cancels:

[media=youtube]6sI_sTQhOiw[/media]
[media=youtube]kgEeXkvhwhw[/media]

That is sexy.

Kailkun (Juri) vs illwill1979 (Ibuki)
[media=youtube]Jq6jQuiRADU[/media]

I found this group looking for match videos of Juri about thirty minutes ago. I read through the video thread, and I just wanted to urge you guys to continue.

It’s very impressive how you’ve all gotten together to figure out out one character, and it looks to me like you’re doing it the right way. I am not sure if this type of team-attack mentality is standard nowadays, but it seems exceptional to me. With everyone’s focus on such a narrow subject (a single character), you’re on pace to figure Juri out faster than the rest of the world. When they finally do catch up, you’ll have the safety net of your near-clinical knowledge of the mirror.

What I enjoy even more about Team Juri, though, is that it employs the opportunities the internet provides so efficiently. For years, the internet has been a driving force of Street Fighter’s popularity. I would argue that its influence is as important to the game’s success as the quality of the game itself.

Where would we have been without alt.games.sf2? Street Fighter is only a relevant point of discussion if there are people who are discussing it. Newsgroups legitimized the game. It was that initial communication which provided a means for any player looking to improve their game to do so. The novice player could now piggyback on the expertise of an entire community of experts, and there was so much to gain that it opened the door for everyone. Players capitalized accordingly. In the years since, we have seen our game grow and flourish, with the coming and going of dominant tactics and dominant players seeing thoughtful and reflective discussion on various forums and in many languages. Each message board that followed being an extension of that original agsf2 newsgroup, as beyond any superficial variances they performed the same function to the player as the usenet.
There are hundreds of these information hubs for our game, but they do not give us any real advantage greater than what has been available for over twenty years.

That we have been blessed with new tools of investigation goes without saying, but I think most will agree that the capacity for lag-free online play is the most crucial, going forward. Prior to five years ago, the single greatest advantage of internet access and groups like agsf2 for a serious player was its utility for finding other like-minded players - most specifically who lived nearby. Play sessions were set up in advance, and at best this could create lasting friendships as well as more-advanced players, because no one excels at competitive gaming without a lot of help.

I mention all of this because what all of you are doing strikes me as correct. Serious players have alway tried to gain an edge by exploiting every small advantage at their disposal, and in recent years the internet has made progress at an exponential rate, but as players we are more or less using it like we did five years ago. Of course players would make the jump into internet play sessions when they were made available, but that’s only an extension of the physical meet-ups we’ve had access to for twenty years. Even with a large group of people, it’s not any more exciting than practice. I don’t think that’s what you guys are doing, though.

You are different in that you all play the same character, and you do it over the internet; I don’t think I can overstate how unique that is to my mind.

I did the bulk of my playing before online play was an option. When I remember a group bootstrapping each other up into tournament-winning players I remember crowded rooms and much cursing the throwing of physical joysticks into physical walls. I never even considered the merits of large-group, long-term mirror-matching. An actual, local group of players wouldn’t have interest in learning the same character, for reasons we can all understand. Even if free will wasn’t an issue, the whole charade would be detrimental to the SF-group as a whole. The more everyone plays the same character, the less prepared they are for every other character. It may have been possible for a group of tangible players to playtest so narrowly, it would be a slow and awkward way to learn the game.

However, and is if by magic, that same group of players were scattered out and only played online, and if there was a large pool of online players apart from this group, they could have the same matches as the physical players and be rewarded for their efforts in a fraction of the time. This is not feasible without random, online matchmaking. Because while there has always been the wherewithal for a “Team Juri,” it has no value as an isolated group. As a niche in a vast pool of players, all playing RIGHT NOW, though, it seems rather peerless for efficiency. A team of players all playing the same character will probably be very proficient at that character, no doubt, but most likely very deficient in defending against what everyone else will be doing. Why go so far out of your way to shoot yourself in the foot? Clearly, if one’s goal is to practice and one is confined to a small group of opponents, one might prefer a certain diversity to those opponents.

Team Juri, by itself, would fail as an experiment. I agree with myself on that point. But I am very excited at the notion of “Team Juri” as the CONTROL GROUP of a much larger exercise. After that same hundred or so Juri vs. Juri battles, the control group can disband to uncover the wealth of data in those variables afforded by random, online matchmaking. This instant random element was simply not possible until very recently, and it is superlative at drawing the conclusions necessary for such character-specific roundtabling to be worthwhile. Without access to those thousands of other players, any conclusions a player could draw from “Team Juri” would only be scientifically relevant in the mirror, which is the only match-up anyone in the group could feel confident in. With an internet, we can really have the best of both worlds.

It looks like I am rambling a bit, and I really don’t expect anyone to share this same enthusiasm for the subject matter. I am surprised by joy at your team for having demonstrated an efficiency of scientific method, and particularly for the novelty of it being a mutation of the environment that legitimized your experiment. The merits for it would have been less than marginal in 1999, but we’ve come a long way.

There are so many things in this world that are changing all the time, and yet people tend to stay the same. This is probably to our advantage as people; but in the short-term of competition, the one to adapt fastest gains a certain leverage against the field as a whole, and I think this project of yours agrees with the spirit of that idea. If you guys keep it up, my theory is that it’s going to carry you very far.

Of course, if this is the only post your team thread ever sees, then no one has gained anything. Here’s hoping Team Juri keeps it together for a while, as there is so much to be gained from it. It’s hard work and will require a lot of communication from everyone in your group, but I’d love to see it prove successful. I believe it to be a brave demonstration of what is newly possible for us as a community of players, though it demands a critical level of thoroughness on the part of its principals. It will most likely fall apart before the bargain is honored, but you’re doing a good thing for yourselves that I don’t think has been done before. There’s something to be said for that.

Good luck.

ashapiro attacks Juri with “Wall of text” K O

Uh… Don’t really know what to say.

Just say thanks. It’s a compliment saying that he enjoys how the way you guys have set up project “Team Juri” is being executed via scientific method, even if you guys didn’t think or know about what that was in the first place.

lol wow.

This is some key shit right here. this will be a big help to everyone.

@ashapiro: Thanks man

Time to practice that in the lab. That second vid was something that seems like it might take a little to get semi-consistent.
Team Juri is great.

Its unlikely that you’ll pull off what’s in the 2nd vid consistently because the timing has to be frame perfect, first vid stuff is easy enough though.