Punishing his roll

Hi there.

I have been doing various tests to find answers to Rolento’s various roll attacks (ex, fp, sp), and I am getting a bit worried about what I am seeing.

It looks like the move has around 8 frames of recovery time after it hits, but this can vary based upon if the roll hits ankle height or thigh height (all blocking standing). Thigh hitting rolls have at least 1 or maybe 2 less frames to punish in my tests.

Adon for instance can sweep to punish rolls that hit him ankle high, but if they hit thigh high his sweep is too slow to punish.

Cammy has the same issue as Adon. She can punish with hk spiral arrow but ONLY if the move hits her ankle on block and not thigh.

I have found that some characters have absolutely nothing to punish his roll like Yun and Dudley.

To test I am going to the training room and recording Rolento doing each of the various rolls and then immediately doing downback to block. What I am finding is a bit irksome.

Has anyone created a guide on how to consistently punish this move? I’m finding quite a large amount of the cast is SOL.

Most characters can ultra it. He can be thrown out of it like Balrog’s rush punch. Every character has a crouching normal that can stuff roll attack on incoming. That’s the easiest way to punish it. Everyone has answers to it.

Dudley can stuff it easily with -> HP. I’m not entirely sure what Yun has to punish it, but that match up is so in Yun’s favor to begin with that it shouldn’t be a huge issue for Yun players.

I think ‘most’ is an overstatement on ultras from what i’ve seen. I tested a little more than half the cast and only Cammy, Fei, Chun, Dudley and Cody could manage it in my tests. Fei and Cammy only on Ex. None of the other charge characters could (Bison, Balrog, Guile). Even then the timing is extremely unforgiving. We are talking just a few frames. You have to finish your ultra motion before the move even finishes hit stunning you.

I also tested normals. While a few characters have descent normals to stop the roll most will wind up trading or losing outright and the roll hits harder than any normals.

While I do concede he can be thrown out of it the move is a lot quicker and tricker than tossing balrog out of his rush punches.

Always block standing, it will make it possible for almost (if not every) character to punish it in some way. The way his Roll is setup makes it so that he always has the same amount of recovery on block no matter where it hits (active frames do not count toward the frame advantage), but blocking it crouching causes the pushback to be enough where a lot of moves won’t hit on their first active frame making it harder.impossible to punish.

And yeah it is very easy to stuff if you see it coming, you don’t even need to block and punish.

Apparently you can get thrown out of EX Roll