Power Instinct 3: Groove on Fight

Originally speaking, I had planned to release all of my combos on gamefaqs as well as make a combo video but since I’m super lazy, I will premier my combos here. Hopefully I can work on both of those things some time in the near future. In the mean time here are a few combos you guys can try out featuring what I’ll call aerials (combos involving a standing normal linked into a jumping normal):

Gartheimer
Insulting Aerial Combo (5 hit)

1. d LP (2 hit)
  2. d LK
  3. uf LP
  4. u,d HP

Note: this is another of those really insulting combos that can only be done on tall characters.

Oume & Otane
Note: both of these combos should be done on tall opponents.

Single Aerial Corner Combo (16 hit)
note: your opponent should be in the very corner and you should start right next to them.

1. u LK right in front of your opponent (8 hits)
  2. d LP
  3. d LK
  4. HK (4 hits)
  5. D, u GA
  6. u + K

Double Aerial Corner Combo (22 hit)
note: your opponent should be about a character away from the corner and you should start right next to them.

1. LP x2
  2. uf LK (7 hits)
  3. LP
  4. uf LP
  5. u,d GA (10 hits)
  6. ff, u + K

Remi
Ride The Blade Aerial Combo (6 hit)

1. cross up j HP
  2. LP
  3. LK
  4. f+LK
  5. uf LK
  6. u,d LP/HP/GA

This is a really sweet combo that can be done on anyone. To simplify this combo, you can just take out step 3.
Note: in the Saturn version for some reason you could be point blank to your opponent and LK will utterly whiff, yet if you are near the corner and you cross up your opponent the LK will connect.
Note: the last 2 hits of this combo works pretty well as a surprise overhead when you jump straight up right in front of your ducking opponent and hit LK immediately as you are going up.

Keep Play’n. Peace

You can even do a tripple aerial combo with Otane&Oume:
Tenjinbashi in corner
j.lk>jf.lk>jf.lk(2hits)>u,d.DA

this combo should have 28hits.

Any idea on the tiers? I guess Tenjinbashi and M-A-D are the top tier characters but no idea how to rank the others.

If you need a training mode, just download a cheat file for MAME and activate infinite life. That’s how I practice ^^

I don’t think I would necessarily put either of those 2 as top tier although I have seen some very good game play from both characters. Almost undisputably, I will say that Falco falls under God tier. The 2 really huge weapons he has is a fairly easy DB combo that takes off a world of health and he is the only character who can regenerate health while not tagging out… at a fairly fast rate unless you have really bad luck. A 3rd very good weapon for him is his jumping HK. It has good priority and is also great for cross ups. Of course he has other things going for him too, but those 2-3 things really puts him on top. I would put Hizumi and Bristol under him as the next up. Towards the bottom I would put Remi, Popura and Garth. Just about everyone else I would put somewhere in the range of middle tier. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Mainly because of the parrying/repelling system in this game you can do decently with just about anyone. Case in point, I’ve see some monsters make scarry things happen with Remi. You can punish the crap out of people with any character as long as you have the skills. Btw, in case I didn’t mention it before, I do all of my play/testing on the Saturn version (which I STRONGLY suggest people try if they’re ever able to get 4 players together). I will hopefully be able to give the emu version a go one of these days when I get a better computer (whenever that is). In the mean time, keep those combos coming.

Keep Play’n. Peace

Here are a some more combos to try out:

Oume & Otane and Damian
Tag-Cancel Double DB Combo (34 hits)

1. d,d + K (12 hits)
  2. TTDB ( Tag-Team Death Blow = d,d + P while tagging) (22 hits)

Note: get close and corner your opponent before you perform your DB. The only thing you have to do in this combo is figure out the timing of when to tag (you will cancel the last frames of your 1st DB and connect the 2nd DB while your opponent is still stunned from the 1st DB). It is possible to get ALL hits of your first DB in with careful timing. I did not try this, but you MIGHT be able to squeeze in a weak hit or two before going into the TTDB.

Damian
Double Rose Corner Comb (13 hit)

1. db LP
  2. db LK
  3. B HK (direction in capitol letters indicates setting in that direction)
  4. B, f HP (2 hits)
  5. B HK
  6. B, f HP (2 hits)
  7. ff P
  8. SCC (3 hits)
  9. u + K

Man, I found this combo 6 freak’n years after first playing this game! :wgrin:
Note: you will want to start this combo in the very corner, point blank to your opponent. Timing for the the 2nd set of roses is a bit strict.

Bristol, Bristol-D and Garth
Boss Combo

1. j GA
  2. ff P (2 hits)
  3. d GA
  4. SCC (Special Command Chain for respected character)
  5. u + K

Note: for a strong finish, you can complete the combo with a TTDB (Tag-Team Death Blow) after step 3.

*On step 4 you see that I refer to something called the SCC (a naming convention I coined… just cuz I’m sick like that). In this game, this a 3 part command move all characters have that must be done using the same command but with attack buttons going from weakest to strongest (ex: LP, HP, GA) (the specific command depends on the character you are using).

*If you guys don’t know what GA is, this is your “launcher,” whereas DA is your “evasion attack”. In many cases GA is considered a punch and DA is considered a kick.

For Garth you can do modified version of this combo that takes off an almost surprising amount of health:
Insulting Cross-Up Combo (7 hits)

1. uf GA (Cross-Up)
  2. ff P (2 hits)
  3. ff P (opposite direction) (1 hit)
  4. immediately break after 1st hit of ff P w/ d, u LK
  5. u + K

This combo takes off about 60%!

Keep Play’n. Peace

Chris: stand close
TK.lp>s.lp>s.lk>s.hp>Chain
s.lp>s.lp>s.lk>s.lk>s.hp>Chain or Super (very difficult to combo into super)

Tenjinbashi:
j.GA>c.GA>TK.lk (I guess hk also hits but I have to test that)
c.lk>c.lk>c.hp>TK.lk (can be used after cross-up with j.df.hp but use 1c.lk only)

Larry:
c.lp>c.lp>s.lk>f.hk>qcf.lk/hk
j.hp>dash.hp>dp.xp (x=any)

My personal tier list:
Top: M-A-D, Tenjinbashi
Upper: Larry, Falco, Chris, Solis, Hizumi
Mid: Remi, Popura, Oume&Otane
Low: Popura, Gartheimer

No character is unplayable. I created this tier list considering dmg per combo, cross up possibilities, high/low possibilities. M-A-D can kill you with 1grab and another combo. Tenjinbashi’s bomb grab is insane.
I don’t know if I need to go into detail for every character but I will if it is needed.

Chris

One VERY unfortunate difference in the Saturn Ed is that you CANNOT combo Chris’s HP into Super. For those that play the Saturn Ed, you may notice from time to time that the COMPUTER can combo just about any damned thing that it wants to… with any character! One thing that I see on occasion with Chris is comboing from HK into Super. If this is possible in the arcade ed, please let me know. In the mean time here are some combos to try out:

Air Drill Cross-Up Combo (16 Hits)

1. uf HK (on top of opponent’s head)
  2. break w/ ftd DA in the air (cross-up) (3 hits)
  3. d LP x3
  4. d LK
  5. LK
  6. HP
  7. SCC (qcf Ps = 5 hits)
  8. u + K

Note: the drill MUST end up as a cross up, thus landing you RIGHT BEHIND your opponent in point blank range for all the hits to connect. Also note that on step 7 it is actually possible to cancel hits too early so that you only get in 4 hits (at least on the Saturn Ed; if this is different on the arcade please let me know).
If anyone could verify the following combo I would appreciate it:

(Unverified) Double Aerial Combo (16 hits)

1. uf HK x2 (1st K done while going down, 2nd K done while going up)
  2. break w/ ftd DA in the air (3 hits)
  3. d LP x2
  4. d LK
  5. LK
  6. HP
  7. SCC (5 hits)
  8. u + K

Tenjinbashi

I’m 95% certain that d GA into tk GA will connect for Tenjinbashi. It is most recommended to end your chain with df HP as opposed to just d HP (the hit itself will look the same, but he will take a quick hop forward to get in the hit and it will still combo). Here’s a sweet chain combo for you guys to try:

Max Chain Cross-Up Combo (13 hits)

1. uf HP (cross-up)
  2. LP
  3. d LK
  4. LK x2
  5. df HP
  6. qcb HP
  7. f,f (or uf,uf)
  8. u + K (6 hits)

Note: In case you like jam’n bombs into your opponent, you can sub step 6 with a tk LK.

Tip of the Day

In this game it is recommended to finish SCCs (Special Command Chain = 3 part special move) if possible once they are blocked as you will USUALLY have decent recovery. One character of noticable exeption to this is Larry. In fact, I would very much advise AGAINST using that move at all for him. If you were to look at competition vids you will notice 1 of 2 things: the player getting punished after a block or of them messing up the move and not getting in all hits. Instead I would say abuse the hell out of his qcf P (especially the LP version).

Keep your tips and questions coming!

Hey I’m new this board and I found this place while actually trying to find for some resources on this game.

Well, anyways I like this game a lot. I decided to pick up Solis and managed to pick up a thing or two from those match vids.

I like how she can basically cancel almost any move she has into a prism. Her running attacks seem a lot more safer if you do a prism (one of the guys in the vid got punished severely by tenjinbashi be just doing a running punch and nothing off it).

Well currently I was trying to see if her tnt punch can be useful for anything. I’ve been experimenting and its annoying to hold 2 buttons while doing a combo.

Oh yeah I’m playing mame not the saturn version which i hear makes a difference.

In this game NO ONE recovers from just doing a dash P (or a dash K for that matter). This is why in most cases it is recommended to cancel into a SCC (for Solis this is done w/ qcf Ps). If you dash P and it is blocked you could cancel into a LP prism (if you try any other P you can be punished because of the slow start up), however I would still recommend the SCC over the prism if the dash P is blocked because it does more cheese and you could bait your opponents into being hit by the later parts of the move.

Unfortunately, I have not found her TNT punch to be particularly useful at all. I never use it, nor do I ever see players use it in competition.

And yes, there are some significant differences between the saturn edition and the arcade/MAME edition. For now, I still test on the saturn as my computer is not all too powerful.

Keep Play’n. Peace

I re-read my message and noticed I did sound kind of weird. It just looked like he had no followup after a running p.

Well anyways I got a combo for solis:
1)f,f lp (running punch)
2)dp lp (light prism)
3)d GA (uppercut)
4)d,d k (super: if they are too close to the corners it screws up the dash a bit)

Its really easy and takes a crapload of damage. You can execute this combo after a pop up by a j. GA. I tried to see if a tag combo can connect at part 4 and it seems to work but you have to be fast.

I’ve been using the SSC after DA and I get pretty good results when you crossover.
I still like the prism after f,f though because it seems to stop your momentum after a running attack ( even f,f k).

Also have any combos with Hizumi? I think he connects moves pretty nice. His qcf k adds a nice amount of hits but I need to integrate it into something because it seems pretty unsafe by itself.

Hizumi is more about cross up combos with his “teleport”.

stand half a screen away:
qcf.OA>f.tele>c.lp>c.lk>s.hk>qcf.lk

Probably his most basic combo. I’ll test out more later but got to go to school now

Hizumi is actually one of my fav characters to use. I wouldn’t necessarily say that I use his teleport all THAT much in the game. For cross-ups I will abuse the crap out of his dive punch (hold d while jumping and press HP). It can be VERY hard to block this for some reason. His regular jumping HP is also pretty good for cross- ups.

Generally speaking I avoid using qcf K. Needless to say, you will get thoroughly punished if this move is blocked. About the only special use that I can think of for that move is as a cross-up. If you are somewhat close to a ducking opponent, it could hop over them and hit them from behind, but this is quite the gamble. Computer does this all the time.

Here is one of the best combos that I have for him (it is a slightly revised version of one I contributed to in gamefaqs):

Hizumi

Dizzy Chain Link Combo (11 hits):

1. qcf HP or GA (“electricity”)
  2. uf HP (cross-up)
  3. d HP (you MUST be in deep to get in the rest of your hits)
  4. d LP (pause just a bit - you must link into this move)
  5. d LK
  6. HK
  7. SCC (qcb Ps: 4 hits)
  8. pin (df k, k = “slide kick” or u + k)

This combo is named such because you will almost always get your opponent dizzy the 1st time you hit this combo. If you are not in deep at step 3, you will not be able to get in all the rest of your hits. You should be able to tell as soon as you hit d HP. If you are NOT close enough, just cancel into his SCC and pin your opponent.

As for uses of the teleport, you can set up some limited cross-up pressure games. What I like to do is toss dead partners and immediately teleport behind the opponent. It is also very handy when attempting to escape the supers of certain characters.

Keep Play’n. Peace

I tried to find new combos for Hizumi but I could only find one.

dash back and press LP+HP> dash forward.hp> qcf.lk or Chain

Else he’s pretty much about high/low mix ups and teleport cross ups.
Also use the qcf.k after you hit with an overhead and the do a dash forward punch into the qcf.k

Here is the first part of a new tournament I’ve uploaded recently:

follow video responses to see the remaining parts.

Thanks for the vid. Those Chris players were pretty neat.

Bumping this thread because of new tournament match vids from Japan!

Gartheimer infinite found:
Video on Nico Video

Dunno if more Japs will play him now. Never seen Kero or Siki0-02 play him.

Nice vid. Haven’t been on this board in a while. What’s the commands to do the infinte. I don’t use garthheimer but I would like to check it out.

Man, it’s been a little while since I’ve been on here. I knew about the Garth infinite, but only in the corner on the saturn (I could only go back and forth once in the middle of the screen). He does have another infinite that involves his super, but that is some major over kill. Say, are there any OC or LA GOF players, holla cuz I’d sure like to play against you guys.

Keep Play’n. Peace

I played this game for fun and just to check out the power instinct series. I really like but I wish more people will play it (I live in new york and I don’t know anyone who has even heard of this game). I haven’t touched this game in months but if it came on ggpo or 2dfighter I would play.

Same goes for me. But I’ll fire it up again later and maybe I’ll find some new combos. In Germany I’m also the only one that actually likes the game.