PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Balance discussion and theory

There are some common complaints rising among players. While this may seem a bit premature at only five days in, it’s better to get this done sooner rather than later.

Fundamental System Mechanics:
[LIST]
[]There aren’t enough ways to remove AP from your opponent.
[/LIST]
Sackboy:
[LIST]
[
]Builds too much AP too quickly.
[/LIST]

Sackboy can build at least one bar of AP back using the AP orbs his level 3 leaves behind. He can easily build to gain another level 3.

Kratos needs more recovery on his attack 1 moves. It’s silly I can’t punish his basic attack 1 string and anti-air but I can with everyone else.

I will have to second AP removal. Like in the other thread, it’ll be much harder to grab a sackboy who’s constantly jumping around, making throws that much less effective.

Kratos makes me cry.

side+square for kratos seems overall safe if spaced out, and the fact that it tracks too? Don’t think about rolling around this.

Raiden scoring free level 1 off of a throw is pretty stank.

Kratos is far too strong.
Raiden is borderline too strong.
Sackboy needs his AP curve toned up a bit, or needs his cupcakes to reward half AP.
Jak needs more air combos.
Radec needs to gain less from sitting back and sniper spamming.
Sir Daniel needs better AP gain on a couple moves.
Ratchet needs to not be so braindead easy to combo with.
Sweet Tooth’s shotgun needs a bit more delay.

We absolutely need a 1v1 mode.

Sweet Tooth needs all the help he can get.

Personally, I would say that Raiden, Sackboy, and Sly Cooper are the big three Superbot should look at. Raiden’s pressure is almost impossible to punish and Sly Cooper is capable of staying completely invisible until he wants to attack. Meanwhile, Sackboy gains way too much AP and a decent player is pretty much guaranteed a level 3 in every match.

When it comes to AP removal, it’s a really delicate system and re-working it is going to require some thought. Either throws need to become more powerful in removing AP from your opponent or every character needs to have a move with AP-removing properties.

I’m not sure on Sweeth Tooth needing all the help he can get. His AP gain is pretty ridiculous on a lot of things, including the shotgun and his normal Sqaure + Square combo.

The rest I agree with. I don’t think it’s necessarily the perma-invis that makes Sly too strong, though, since he can’t block because of it.

Too much AP removal is toxic. You don’t want that if it means matches might go on for even longer without kills than they do right now. I’d say throws doing it are enough considering the possibilities if you DO grab someone.

Also Sackboy has the lowest lvl3 meter requirement for some reason…
Personally I don’t want them to mess with the balance too much yet, there are still a lot of things we haven’t figured out yet.

I feel some of the cast should get easier ways to go into supers.

Sniper has slow start up and it has a laser sight letting you know it’s coming. It gives you plenty of time to block or evade it.

Who do you guys feel can build the most AP off a combo?

PaRappa. I fought guys who can get two level 2 doing three or more combos with him.

I agree, it gets better when you combo someone next to a boombox. You’ll get from 145 - 175 AP from a decent Parappa combo.

Nariko super 1 is gutter trash and needs to be adjusted that anyone hit with kais arrow blows up, not the arrow vanishs and you get no super, 2 to 3 kratos per match says it all, tone done his chains reach and they seem to stuff evveryone elses moves, i luv god of war series but i think supperbot devs are gay for him, sly always being invisable is ass, sackboy gets to super 3 for like 3 4 hits, who they let balance this a kindergarden class on aderal and a dumpster crack baby

I think you can pick and choose what’s OP about every character really. That’s one of the cool things about this game. I mean yeah there are characters that excel a little more in certain fields, but by a very slim margin. The only 2 characters I feel need to be looked at right now are Kratos and Raiden. It’s simply way too hard to break through what essentially is just a wall of swords…nerf Kratos’s AP gain a little bit and I think he’s fine, remove a few of Raiden’s huge number of combo openers and it removes his options a little bit. As for Sackboy, he’s easy to shut down. I really don’t think he needs to be nerfed.

And Sly Cooper/Sweet Tooth need to be nerfed? Really? That’s just grasping at straws

complaints about AP drain make me wonder how many people are playing with items off, seeing as items AP drain.

id personally like to see everybodys ap gain like kratos and sack boy, make the matchs explosive