Place Your Arrows, Don't Shoot Them

I was told by a local high level player that I need to place my arrows and not shoot them. I understand what he means by this, but I don’t understand the application.

Are there certain series of arrows that I should be learning for different situations? What series do you guys use vs. different characters.

Against larger characters, I use a sequence to try and keep them grounded:

• Triple Arrow
  • M trick into H
  • Scatter Shot
    (Repeat)

or

• Standing H
  • Cancelled into M trick shot (H)
  • Scatter Shot

I will also use L trick shot into H to make space, but I don’t do it all the time.

Against people who want to shoot projectiles:

• Piercing Bolt
  • M trick into H

Against teleporters, I tend to plant an exploding arrow and park on it. I will also use the L trick into Freeze shot once they close the distance.

I find Chris to be a real pain in the ass since his prone shot just makes Hawkeye free.

Place your arrows and not shoot them? Erm, what?

Perhaps he is referring to placing explosive arrows down for incoming characters?

Anyways, my basic Hawkeye zoning strategy is not really complicated; he’s a pretty braindead character as of now.

Use his M trick maneuver converted into H for poking, I occasionally use air triple arrow while jump back, if my opponent is throwing out projectiles I’ll occasionally throw in quick shot H to blow through them.

If I have a lockdown assist covering me (hidden missiles, vajra, etc) I’ll occasionally throw out a standing H converting into triple arrows, I’ll also use standing H converted into ragtime shot H.

If the opponent is able to duck under the standard projectiles I’ll usually use M trick maneuver converted into H, ragtime shot H, and I’ll set out some explosive arrows if they are far enough away.

If the opponent is getting closer, don’t panic and throw out a random gimlet. If you have meter to spare and your opponent is getting close, throw out Hawkeye’s kiss of fire super, as it will push them back.

If they get really close and I don’t have time to react/bar I’ll usually just superjump out of there or use trick maneuver H to get over them.

Also, when you kill a character immediately place a few explosive arrows down for the incoming character to deal with.

Hope that helped.

The theory behind it is, don’t just shoot arrows, know why and what you are shooting. Thanks for all the series help though, definitely gonna put some of this to use.

Discovery (new?) by Dangeresque yesterday in the Vergil matchup:

When Vergil activates Spiral Swords from mid-fullscreen you can shoot 1 arrow of s.H angled slightly up and it will headshot him out of it.

Oh god, lol.

I am stealing that.

that’s only if he stands neutral. if he starts dashing immediately, teleports or does anything his hurtbox changes and sits inside the swords entirely. it’s rather disappointing because i tried getting it consistent when i was trying to figure out how to make the vergil/hawkeye matchup not 10-0

vergil’s recovery on swords is 10f- the startup on H is 10f + travel time so it’s not a true punish sadly

Prone Shot is easy to beat. Hold straight up, then Trick H into ice shot, follow with free combo.

Did that on some idiot last night. Also if you are spaced correctly you can hit him with the Exploding arrow or Super Scatter Shot hyper, but those are more risky

i noticed while watching Yipes play hawkeye, he likes to use triple piercing, i’ve been putting that to use and its doing me wonders

Been playing around with Hawkeyes trick maneuver m into h(rusty nail),what I do is s.h then ill cancel into trick maneuver m into h,it helps lock them down. I’ve seen tho if done to close the opponent can jump over and attack making this shot more unsafe. I’m wondering if I should just do he regular trick maneuver m into h without the s.h in he beginning for his standard poke?

Never mind I think I answered my own question lol. S.H into trick maneuver m>h is best used when farther away, if they get close ill just use plain trick manuever m>h without the s.h. i also do trick manuever l>h to create more distance. I do feel like I need to use s.h>tripple piercing more, also more net arrow conversions.