PalMod Discussion Thread

new build adds in garou sprites (characters + portraits) so you can see your work

1 Like

PalMod 1.53:

• Tools : Load Palette now will read the color table out of indexed PNGs and use that.
  • KOF98 support added.
  • New palettes for Garou and Jojos.

2 Likes

PalMod 1.54:

• KOF02:UM (Steam) support added
  • More sprites for Jojos
  • Random bug fixes/improvements

1 Like

PalMod 1.55 at PalMod: PALette MODification for fighting games :

• CVS2 support
  • more sprites

1 Like

Based upon feedback from palmod users and people playing on mixes, I added Team View for MvC2-Arcade and MvC2-Dreamcast support. At the bottom of the character select combobox for those games is “Team View” that lists a number of popular teams. That lets you quickly see how the colors for that team work together at a glance:

Right now it allows you to see any button color for MSP, MSS, Santhrax, Scrub, SSCable, Rowtron, Matrix, Duc, Clockw0rk, Combofiend, Watts, VDO, and Team Shoto. It’s trivially easy to extend as needed/useful, but I figured the current list is a great start to help people ensure team color alignment.

1 Like

Absolutely thrilled that NEO GEO support is a thing now, hoping to see palmod support a wide array of games across other systems! While making some colors for Hokutomaru on the Steam release of MOTW I notice that my colors are completely wrong while the TOP effect blinks. I’ll be happy to help with anything I can, is there a specific place to submit any fixes I find or missing sprites I happen to have?

Edit: I figured out how to fix the issue, in my excitement to test, I didn’t bother changing the obvious TOP palette. I found a great resource for projectile sprites to use in conjunction with the RAW file import hopefully these help.

Edit 2: Found this guide for important Fighter Factory sprites, this will come in handy when I finish making these images for myself. zachd.com: Adding Sprites to PalMod from SFFs

Thank you again for your hard work on this superb option for modifying retro fighters. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Generally the system is pretty extensible but there’s some manageability concerns just in terms of UI display if we go too crazy. It’s pretty easy to add games these days.

We have a PalMod development discord - I’ll PM you the link.

You’re welcome - it’s a fun project. :slight_smile:

PalMod 1.60 now up at http://zachd.com/mvc2/colors :

• Fixed an issue in MVC2-Arcade support wherein some extras weren’t auto-editing correctly.
  • KOF:02 (NEOGEO) support added.
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves support added.
  • Added Team View to MVC2:Dreamcast.
  • You can now export palettes to GIMP’s GPL palette file format.
  • PalMod now builds Unicode instead of MBCS. This was a big internal change that you probably won’t notice.
  • Various sprite updates for SFA3, CVS2, KOF, Jojos.
  • Various quality of life improvements.

If you’re editing MVC2-Arcade, please update: 1.60 is a substantial improvement to how we handle extras auto-processing.

SIMM 3rd Strike support FC2 uses that sadly so custom palettes aren’t possible unless theres a converter for it. If you could add something like that would great thanks!

Various updates in PalMod 1.61 and 1.62, but version 1.63 is now out and that adds support for SFA2:

Enjoy – PalMod: PALette MODification for fighting games

Could you clarify what you’re looking for here? Is it a shifted ROM or something else…? The more details you provide the easier it is for me to figure out if I can help. :slight_smile:

Ah, I see, it’s from the MAME redump of the board into SIMMs instead of the previous single ROM.

I don’t have access to the SIMM dump that I know of. Should be an easy conversion.

Yeah apologies it’s the redump version yeah the rom isn’t that hard to find it’s the newer version.

One more request SNK vs Capcom SVC Chaos support if possible.

Oddly, it is. I’ve looked around and haven’t clearly found it yet.

Then again, I understand the general problem now so I can also just start with looking at the garybutternubs split/join Jojos code. Since a 3S version of that is what I read you as asking for.

One more request SNK vs Capcom SVC Chaos support if possible.

Ren and Red51 recently figured out the SvCPlusA hexes, so this is indeed on the radar. :slight_smile:

Update: I managed to get a hold of the newer version of SF3 and Jojos that you’re referring to. Will see where to go from here on that. :slight_smile:

Brilliant thank you so much! I’ve always wanted to edit the palettes in SVC Chaos.

I’d like to confirm adding palettes into the newer simm version of 3rd Strike works perfectly.

Thank you again.

1 Like

Could you add the ability to choose all the palettes when exporting images currently it’s maxed at four and you cannot pick any colour beyond LK well at least for CVS2 also could I have an invite to the Discord if possible?

Thank you.

Awesome: thanks for letting me know. That SIMM load mode is brand new, but I hope it works pretty well.

Could you add the ability to choose all the palettes when exporting images currently it’s maxed at four and you cannot pick any colour beyond LK well at least for CVS2

Sure, new build is up now that allows for export of all 8 sprites. Thanks for pointing it out.

Will DM you the discord link. :slight_smile: