Overhead comboing without counterhit?

I thought comboing after the Thunder Kick was only possible on counterhit. Yet here is ChrisT doing it without (13:36).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RbVgaRqd6oA

Now, I’m relatively new to fighting games so if there is an easy explanation, I’m sorry. Is it just a matter of timing the light Tatsu well? I’ve been trying it in the lab without counterhit but I can’t.

Set the opponent to crouching – it hits meaty on most crouching opponents (whether or not they are blocking, obviously). Doesn’t help for certain big bodies, like Zangief.

i wonder if this was intentional. There is no good reason to have it different on standing opponents. I mean… i guess it allows the opponent, at great risk, to take the hit standing …and then block and punish whatever combo comes after assuming the ken is confirming on the first hit . Would be surprising if this were intentional

No I don’t think so, you can confirm if he was standing or not because you have to wait forever to do the tatsu.

And yeah it combos on crouching without CH because, to my understanding, it will not hit with the first active frame if they are not standing. Exception are I think Birdie, Gief and Urien because they are too big/tall.