Original sf2 hyper...aka dash

Balrog cannot beat Honda in HF. Ever. Honda only has to mash on punch buttons and move around. The only thing Rog can do is a precisely timed c.roundhouse, and that’s difficult in and of itself.

Gary, jumping forward and hitting roundhouse immediately is really risky because Ryu can DP you. In any case, you’re right about one thing, walking forward on Ryu is the best way to go in this game. You want to try to corner him, then sit in a good range to sit on him if he fireballs.

No, I am talking about jumping fireball from FULL SCREEN,
so Ryu can’t DP Honda or sweep Honda if the timing is right.
All Honda needs is a safe landing and make Honda closer to Ryu.
And the HK is used to avoid landing on the fireball when jump early, which is not used to hit Ryu.
I am not talking about jumping fireball from mid screen.
I think you have misunderstood my words.

Balrog can beat Honda in HF, the hh can be punished by jumping straight HK (if Honda keeps on walking forward hh, you can jump forward to use a dizzy combo), and Honda’s walking speed is slow, Balrog can also jump back to about full screen from Honda, and dash punch(46lp)(use the jab version),sometimes it will clear counter hh, sometimes both will get hit, although the damage is usally in favor of Honda, clever Honda will not hh in a period of time because two dash punches = dizzy.

I never lose to Honda who only mashes buttons.

My English is poor, hope everyone can get my meaning.

s.short and s.jab is a real combo but it is almost impossible to use because the requirement of timing of s.jab is too tight.

From full screen… how do you not get swept? Ryu is not even in danger by throwing fireball, walking forward, and hitting down and roundhouse. You’ll have kicked way too early to even have a chance to hit him.

If Balrog jumps at all, you direct the hands to hit him, either backwards or forwards as the case may be. Or, you can stop, and trip him as he falls (which takes a little more thought but is easily doable).

I think you might be thinking of ST, because in HF dash punch never ever ever hits Honda out of HHS. Take it from someone who’s played a number of Rog players who have tried.

You shouldn’t lose to button mashers, period, but Honda only really needs the HHS to beat Rog in HF. Controllable slappy = win button.

1. Jump immediately and press hk before the fireball appears,
    Ryu cant sweep Honda because Honda is about to land when Ryu
    can move after fireball, if Ryu walks forward and sweeps, Honda can
    block the sweep already.
    The key is to jump forward really early and press HK even before
    the fireball appears from Ryu’s hand.
    Jump early=land early=not enough time for Ryu to sweep
    If you dont believe me, you can try using emulator.

2. Balrog jap dash punch(lp version) can hit Honda HHS from Full Screen,
    you can try it using emulator, but sometimes both will get hit.

3. Honda can control HHS forward or backward, Balrog can control the
    distance and timing to jump too.
    I wont say jump HK like blind, you should control the distance first,
    decide the right timing to jump straight or forward.
    Rog wont beat Honda HHS if Rog dont know the timing and distance.
    Some simply rules:

1. dont jump HK like blind.
    2. dont keep too close(no time for jump)or too far,
      keep the right distance
    3. if Honda HHS walks backward, walk forward to keep the right
      distance, Honda cannot walk backward forever.
      or you can jump backward and 46lp from FULL SCREEN.
    4. if Honda HHS walks forward and within certain distance, which
      is the time for you to decide to jump.(The timing for jump
      straight and jump forward is different, you can try them out)
      (dont jump forward if Honda HHS walks not close enough because
      Honda can walk backward to hit you, if the distance is close
      enough, you can jump forward and hit honda even he decide to
      walk backward)
    5. Remember, jump forward HK is used to hit Honda’s head.
      Jump straight HK is used to hit Honda’s hands.
    6. If you fail to control the distance(Honda comes too close),
      then you should block the HHS once or jump backward to reset
      the distance.
    7. Right distance and timing is the key to defeat Honda’s HHS.

Although the above methods are very difficult to use for beginners
(many dont have accurate timing and distance control skills), it is easier than using C.HK to clear counter HHS(the distance requirement is too harsh).

No he can’t. Ask anyone who’s played the game for any amount of time. Tripguard is in effect. Anyway, this is moot. If Ryu somehow screws up the timing and Honda can block the sweep, he’ll just cancel into fireball anyway.

This is not practical. You’re trying to predict Ryu’s throwing a fireball. It works sometimes on predictable people (And yes, I do do it to predictable people), but unless you’re a robot it is not worth it to try to jump on reaction to a full screen fierce fireball.

Likely to work. I just wonder why no Rog player I’ve ever played thinks of that. :confused:

Well as I said… if Honda stops his HHS, you’re kinda screwed.

Honda has too many advantages in this fight still.

I have a hard time beating Balrog(boxer)with honda in ST. Crouching :mp: owns me.

If Ryu cancel sweep into fireball, Honda can use his new special
move(28k) to attack Ryu’s hand after blocking the sweep, remember to use the appropiate version of 28k in order to just touch the Ryu’s fireball hand,
if you choose the wrong version (the attack is too deep), Ryu can punish you after the attack.
If the attack it right(just touch the hands), Ryu cant punish
you after because the distance is too long.

This needs really quick reflex(not prediction),
Ryu will put the hands back before the fireball come out,
you should jump immediately at this moment.
you might think it is not practical if you dont practice your reflex respone time.
However this is not practical while playing through internet
because of the delay, so I wont play HF through internet.

I agree Honda got many advantages over Rog,
but Rog still have a chance to win because Rog got other advantages.
1.faster walking speed
2.the dizzy power of dash punch is crazy.
3.the mp version of throw of Rog has slightly longer range than
that of any of Honda’s throw(The throw range of Hyper Fighting
depends on the throw itself and what opponent you faces, the
same throw will get different throw range if the opponent is
different). That means Honda cannot tick throw easily when
facing Rog.

If Honda stops his HHS, Rog should change his own strategy.
It requires mind game.

A little more to say, Honda cant stop HHS immediately,
Honda will do a few hands more after you stops marshing button.

Here is the ground throw range of different move from longest range to shortest.(There are some exceptions)

1. Zangief SPD(no move got longer throw range than that)
  2. E-Honda
  3. Blanka
  4. Dhalsim
  5. M.Bison(the final boss)
  6. Zangief punch throw
  7. Balrog(boxer) mp throw
  8. Chun Li
  9. Vega(claw)
  10. Ryu and Ken
  11. Guile
  12. Sagat

special case:
1.Balrog(boxer) mp throw got a longer range than Honda ,Blanka and M.Bison.
(in Rog vs Blanka, Rog vs Honda and Rog vs M.Bison matchup only)
2.Chunli throw got a longer range than Honda.
(in Chunli Vs Honda matchup only)
3.Rog mp throw has a longer range than Rog hp throw.
Zangief Punch throw has a longer range than Kick throw.

interesting stuff Gary, thx

You shouldn’t lose to button mashers, period, but Honda only really needs the HHS to beat Rog in HF. Controllable slappy = win button.
[/quote]

Standing jabs in HF stop Knee Presses,Rog’s Punches, Hand Slaps, Sim’s limbs, Blanka’s Rolling Attack etc.

Honda was never really a problem to me like Blanka is. Hand slaps can easily be stop by jab. I play a ground game with Rog in most matches. Sumo headbutts can easily be dealt with using the TAP. Just as Honda touches u release the tap and Honda will do his headbutt animation as if he hits and Rog scores a free hit. I also tried this on different verisons of Honda on SF:AE because the headbutt did different things. If you have Turbo Rog and you play against ST Honda the trick that I mention won’t work. They both go thru each other.

Rog’s jab cannot stop Hand Slap in HF.
Maybe it works in ST, but i am not sure because I dont play ST much.

Yeah, Rog jabs do not stop HHS in HF. And seriously, Honda should not be torpedoing Rog at all.

gary…where did you get a list like that? nice info. any frame data? :tup:

I thought a well placed low jab would stop the hand slap in HF. And you would be surpised the number of ppl I use to play that would use the headbutt more in a match. But hey you learn something new everyday I guess. Let’s keep the posting up :karate:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I have been playing this game a lot on Capcom Classics, and I have grown to like it a lot. How close is the capcom classics version to arcade perfect? Does anyone have recommendations for a good beginner character? I kind of like Honda so far.

Other than cosmetics and sounds, CC is the closest one can get to an arcade-perfect port of HF. In terms of gameplay, you would have to ask some HF pros how they think of it. I had the game for a week and I gave it away because I couldn’t get past the fact it had loading times. I didn’t explore it much beyond a few casual matches with friends (I wish I had so I could give you an decent answer) and the missing sounds and repetitive loading turned me off. If you want the real deal, it is only $100 bucks for a used HF board. I am sure you can find the whole cabinet for $300 on ebay.

By the way - SF2’ HF is the best Street Fighter 2 game ever!

Ask Uber he plays alot of Honda