OPTION SELECTS

ok… more newb stuff…

I’m starting to learn the game and be able to execute some of the stuff I’ve learned (but still trash with knowledge and execution), but 1 concept of the game I still have no idea. like, in theory, I know an “option select” is when you have an option to do 1 of 2 things, but I’m not even sure how this is done in practice.

Do you do an input and what comes out is dependent on the opponent’s movement? I’m really lost on this. I’ve watched videos and everything that attempt to explain it, but I still don’t really “get it”.

any help on this would be much appreciated

and maybe some Adon examples

First let’s define an option select. An option select is when you input 2 or more specific commands into the game, and given the opponents response the game will output the best command. The best way to understand option selects are to see them, so I recommend going onto YouTube and looking for option select videos. There are alot to choose from, so watch/read up and learn!

However, i’ll try my best to teach you what I can in just plain writing. Lets take a specific Adon example. Let’s say I’m playing Adon and you’re playing Ryu. We are playing footsies, you mis-space your cr.mk and I react by sweeping your limb. Then, I dash up while you’re still knocked down and have the opportunity to do Oki (Okizeme, if you don’t know what it is in short: wake-up game).

During our matches, I noticed that you have a tendency to back dash alot on wake-up. So i’m thinking to myself, kaptivated loves to back dash on wake up therefore I should option select for his back dash. Of course, this runs the risk of getting DPed to the face but that’s always the case when playing against someone with a fast reversal. So to option select your backdash, I input: S. lp --> cr. lp + sweep

What happens in both scenarios?

1. You do not backdash: If you do not backdash and I timed my input properly, my S. lp will hit you putting you into blockstun. Then the game will register my st. lp as a hit and since my next input was a cr.lp, the cr.lp will come out and the sweep will not because chains take priority over regular normals. This keeps me safe because sweep is very minus up close. I can continue off the cr. lp with a tick throw, etc etc.

2. You do backdash: If you do backdash and I timed the inputs properly, my s. lp will WHIFF. You will not enter blockstun and the game will then read the cr.lp + sweep. Since the st. lp never hit, the game cannot chain into cr.lp so the sweep will take priority. The sweep will immediately come out instead of the cr. lp, and I will catch your backdash.

or 3) You DP: I eat the DP to the face. That’s just the constant risk/rewards you must take as a street fighter player!

This is just one scenario of an option select. This is known as a chain option select. There are many more, but I hope this gives you a good starting grasp on the advanced mechanics of street fighter.

man THANK YOU SO MUCH! how in the heck would I have ever known that??? either way, you just helped me out so much!

No problem, I’m glad i could help.